When did you decide it was time to maintain?

Options
Was it when you reach your average weight, or when you fitted in a certain size or when you looked in the mirror and decided you were happy with your image?

Replies

• dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a bottom weight limit that I won't go below. There is no way I'm playing the "happy with the mirror" game. There's always going to be something in that mirror that irks me.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I reached the point where I was almost done... 3 or 4 pounds from goal... And decided I needed to teach myself to maintain happily and effectively, before I went further. i have learned a lot about what works for me...combo of 80/20 approach and IIFYM and moving more to "buy" calories. Still learning but it's going well.
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    dontjinxit wrote: »
    I have a bottom weight limit that I won't go below. There is no way I'm playing the "happy with the mirror" game. There's always going to be something in that mirror that irks me.

How did you decide what that weight limit was?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

There's a lot to that. I had a bottom weight goal - 150 - that I'd been at when I graduated from college. I looked in the mirror at 155 and felt good and marked myself as 'there'. But I stayed at a deficit until 150. I realized that it would be easy to keep going and take off another 10 pounds. But that wouldn't be good for me. So I stuck there. In the last few years I took off a few more pounds (to 146) without trying and then came back up to 150. It seems to be my 'natural' weight and if I look it up, it's listed as my ideal.

I've been this height and 128 pounds. Even my ballet teachers told me I was too thin. Not going there.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    when I reached a level of BF% that I was comfortable with
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I stopped losing. I wasn't counting etc. I had a number in mind (130). I ended up at 132. I figured my body was happy there. Now, 14 years later, my "happy range" is 130-135.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My bottom number is 150. My new TOP # is 160 after letting it get to 166.4 in Dec. Today I was 155.2. I'm a solid size 8. At 36 and 5'11 I'm pretty happy with that and don't see much reason to much lower. I'm losing a slow rate anyway, so I'll keep this up for a few weeks and then transfer into maintenance, which is where I have the most trouble. I'm great at gaining and losing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    Was it when you reach your average weight, or when you fitted in a certain size or when you looked in the mirror and decided you were happy with your image?

For me my body refused to budge lower than 133 which was my ideal weight, without a fight, it's happiest at 135, so I decided enough already, I look good, I'm fitter than ever before so why get hung up on a lower scale number :smile: I've been maintaining that number without effort for over a year always hoping I would lose a little more but its only been 5 months since I properly decided to switch to maintenance.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »

How did you decide what that weight limit was?

I've weighed less before, but below a certain weight I just didn't feel right - had dizziness, etc. even though it was still within the general "healthy BMI category," so I've always sought to stay a little bit above that point. I guess I found the line between a healthy and an unhealthy weight for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    When I went to my Doctor 3 years ago for my annual checkup and was told that I should not lose anymore weight. He said I could even gain 5 back, but that never happened. I'm still 5 to 7 pounds under the goal that was set by Weight Watchers which is just fine with me as I never have to pay for weigh ins, and eTools are free if I ever wanted to use them again.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    When I stopped losing. I wasn't counting etc. I had a number in mind (130). I ended up at 132. I figured my body was happy there. Now, 14 years later, my "happy range" is 130-135.

This is exactly where I've been at for the past 3 years. I'm 5'7" and think this is the best weight for me. Some people say I'm too thin, but I highly disagree. I think I look thinner than I actually am because of lifting weights 2 to 3 times a weekand doing HIIT exercises 3 times a week.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've surpassed my original goal, and I still haven't decided. I was pretty happy for the brief blink of any eye I was down to 110 last year, though, so that's my latest goal. I love running without any annoying jiggle sensation on my gut and hips!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

This is exactly where I've been at for the past 3 years. I'm 5'7" and think this is the best weight for me. Some people say I'm too thin, but I highly disagree. I think I look thinner than I actually am because of lifting weights 2 to 3 times a weekand doing HIIT exercises 3 times a week.

I'm 5'6.5", so there you go!
    I lift, do Pilates, and run. I very much don't think I'm too thin.