Macro nutrients questions (mostly protein and fat) & General Diary Suggestions?

Options
First my diary is public, look at mostly this week (starting monday, but diet switched to pretty much what I'm doing starting tuesday). First question is does everything look fine (I do not have a kitchen scale though for things cooked at home I'm going off what's listed in as weight from the grocery store and I'm only cooking for myself).

Second question, the one I'm here for.
Okay I'm avg'ing 85-100g of protein a day. I need about 170 for LBM, I'm mostly eating MEAT and veggies with a small serving of carbs and a small sweet snack a day. And when I eat, I eat to like bursting full ness already, so bigger portions are kinda hard. (Though admittedly I am hungry for basically an hour or two before each meal).
I'm avg'ing a sufficient level of carbs imho so not super worried here.
But FAT, man how do I get the fat level's down? I don't want to get rid of my cooking fat (about 1tbsp a day between breakfast/lunch/dinner)

I have ordered protein shakes, but is it okay to drink two in one day? (35g protein 170cal each)

I'm male, 245lbs, 6', 27, 29.3% BF, I have been doing resistance exercises for the last 4 months (it's quite a bit, dips/pushups/leg lifts/pull ups/planks/squats/bulgarian split squats 3x8), Starting this week: I walk to work every day (4miles) (don't own a car atm) walk an extra 3 miles when ever I need to go to the store/etc.

Any critiques/criticism/helpful advice truly appreciated. Please more or less ignore anything before Monday, I just moved to Washington from Kansas.

Replies

• Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is completely unnecessary to reduce fats as long as you consume healthy fats. Fats are good for your body.
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed: avg: 1300-1800
    Carbs: 75-85
    Fats: 65-85
    Protein: 85-100

And I can never seem to get enough freaking iron. Eating sirloin, salmon, chicken for dinner and lunch and eggs for breakfast (full egg). Usually cooked in a 1/4 tablespoon of butter (though that's the entire dish but I count the whole butter) seasoned with salt and pepper or montreal steak seasoning. I also tend to have 4-8oz of veggies (corn, green bean, brocolli, mushrooms) with every lunch and dinner. And maybe 2-4oz of "some carb" (like rice) with one of my meals.
  • elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your body needs at least 100 gram of carbs a day. The body uses the glucose in carbs as energy for all body function most importantly the brain. If you dont get the minimum, eventually your body will try to turn amino acids (protein) into glucose. If i were you, i would up the carb intake a little more, fats are good as long as you are consuming good fats (low and/or no saturated or trans fats).
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been in a similar boat, though not to that extreme. It's hard to hit a high protein number at low calories. Protein has calories. As long as you are at that much of a defecit it is going to be difficult to hit 170 grams a day. You should be around 2800 calories a day to maintain, and -25% is still 2100 calories. You are a big dude and I fear you may not be able to sustain that 1300-1800 calorie diet even if you hit protein.

That aside, salmon is a fairly fatty fish that I see semi-regularly and based on the fat/protein split you are likely eating skin on. Skinless or white fish will have less of this fat so less calories. But this is the kind of fat you want... which you probably know since you are taking fish oil.
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    Elly: I'm curious where you learned 100g of carbs for "retaining brain function" I'm not challenging this. I really want to read the material. I will try to up it slightly just to get it real close to 100g as often as I can. (I know carbs are behind brain function and cognitive ability. I've been trying to find a good guideline for that I figured moderately low carb was better than no carb)

jenglish: Yeah I'm a big dude, I am losing weight fast but I can almost physically see my 18" arms turn from really muscular to not so muscly. Or maybe it's my paranoia and confusion.

I can say though, I "eat when I'm hungry" and I "eat till I'm full". I just know 6-8oz of meat will pretty much fulfill that esp. with some veggie. And if I'm still hungry I'll add in a bowl of rice which will fill me up really fast.

Then again, that is why I ate 10oz of salmon last night out of the 1lb I was preparing.

Another question if anyone is still lurking around: should I be eating back the calories I burn walking? I have myself listed as sedenary (I'm a programmer) but I walk to work/etc. I exercise 3-4 days weekly for about an hour, and more. I'm a little concerned that if I'm not refueling with macronutrients it will only eat my muscles that much quicker.
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    Emily: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2013/11/12/do-low-carbohydrate-diets-make-you-dumber/

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/9136-2.html

I went searching for your suggestion and I keep find info to the counter (the second one because I am adhd and I've noticed reducing the carbs helps me control my ability to hyperfocus).

What I've oddly found out though, intense workout sessions kinda turns me into a 'meat head' for about 4-6 hours. But I have to constantly be able to focus and change gears for my profession so keeping brain health (well either way this would be the case but you get my point) is incredibly important.
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    Turns me unable to focus and think clearly. Constantly zoning off, trying to access thoughts but can't.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that exerting yourself at that much of a deficit is going to cause some confusion and decline in executive functioning.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »
    But FAT, man how do I get the fat level's down? I don't want to get rid of my cooking fat (about 1tbsp a day between breakfast/lunch/dinner)

Why do you want to get your fat levels down? As long as you're meeting your calorie goals and getting enough protein then there is no reason to cut down on your fat intake. Fat is an essential part of the diet, and it adds flavor to foods.