Air popped popcorn question

Okay so I'm thinking of buying an air popcorn popper to have some healthy low calorie popcorn. But if I remember right, back when these were first popular in the late 70s the problem with them was that the salt did not stick to the popcorn because there's no oil involved, so I remember people putting lots of butter on it. Any recommendations for adding flavoring that will help without adding oil or butter?

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Ooh, good question. I bought one for my husband for Valentine's Day so I'd love to hear what people have to say!
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    There's pre-made popcorn flavoring that sticks well. You can get it at most major grocery stores. It comes in a shaker and it's more of a powder than salt.

Other things I've put on popcorn: soy sauce (it's salty), nutritional yeast (yes, I'm a hippy), vinegar, seasonings.

The problem with air popped is sometimes it's so dry that it's almost hard to chew. I usually solve that with melting some coconut oil and adding it like butter - BUT - while probably healthier than butter, it's still pretty high calorie.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    The salt (and those popcorn seasonings) won't stick unless you add a tiny bit of butter or oil. If you can find a spray bottle and use it very sparingly, the salt & seasonings will stick without adding many calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    My family and I will add butter spray and seasonings on afterwards.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    I just eat it plain.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Use a spray butter or even non stick cooking spray. An olive oil mister is good too. I usually just melt a bit of earth balance and throw that on, but it deflates the kernels a bit. I don't mind.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I add butter. 'Cause nothing tastes as good, and IMHO it's worth the calories.

I don't have popcorn all the time. Just once in a while. And when I do, I work the butter into my day's calories.

Switching from stovetop popping in oil to an air popper saved me a bunch of calories, so already it's healthier and I can control the quantity of butter.
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Okay so I'm thinking of buying an air popcorn popper to have some healthy low calorie popcorn. But if I remember right, back when these were first popular in the late 70s the problem with them was that the salt did not stick to the popcorn because there's no oil involved, so I remember people putting lots of butter on it. Any recommendations for adding flavoring that will help without adding oil or butter?

I use butter flavored Pam spray it all over and add salt or popcorn salt or pepper Mazon and it taste good
  • ljohnson216
    ljohnson216 Posts: 89 Member
    I used to use a small spray bottle with water and spritz the popcorn a few times. Just enough to hold the salt, but too much can make it soggy & nasty.

Popcorn can be made in a regular brown bag in the microwave too if you don't have a popper.