When do you know it's time to stop?

Options
I have been dieting for a while and lost 30lbs in total. I have never looked so trim. However sometimes I feel like I've had enough!

When do you know it's time to return to a "normal diet"? Is it weight, how you see your figure or something else.

Replies

• Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For me it was just using my BMI. Once I'm in the healthy range, I stopped
  • librafitness3
    librafitness3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your "normal" diet should still be a healthy one, for starters - but I'm assuming you know that, and you don't mean going back to a "crappy" diet ;)

You're the only one who can decide when to stop! If you're satisfied with your body, health, and lifestyle, then it's a perfect time to stop dieting - however, if you still want more, or your nutrition/fitness isn't where it should be, strive for more. The important thing is balance as well as maintaining the weight loss if you decide to stop actively "dieting".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fatboyno1 wrote: »
    I have been dieting for a while and lost 30lbs in total. I have never looked so trim. However sometimes I feel like I've had enough!

When do you know it's time to return to a "normal diet"? Is it weight, how you see your figure or something else.

Why are you not eating a normal diet now?
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My diet has always been 'normal'. I just ate less & moved more. I shall continue to do so (at maintenance) for the rest of my life.

I lost 38lbs and got down comfortably into just below the mid-point of 'normal' BMI for my height/age (20.3).
  • FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not dieting, I'm changing my eating habbits and lifestyle - I don't ever wanna go back to eating crap and doing no exercise! I feel so much healthier eating well and working out regularly. Nothing wrong with an occasional treat, but if you return to your old eating habbits then your weight will follow
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    fatboyno1 wrote: »

I depends on why you're wanting to lose weight. There's no absolute correct weight.

If, for example, you have athletic ambitions, your goal weight may depend on what is optimal for your sport. If you are losing weight for the sake of your appearance, then the mirror will tell you when to stop. If you are losing for your health, the BMI chart or your doctor can be a guide.

If you're sick of the process, there's no reason you can't just take a break from it and see what happens.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    FRJM wrote: »
    I'm not dieting, I'm changing my eating habbits and lifestyle - I don't ever wanna go back to eating crap and doing no exercise! I feel so much healthier eating well and working out regularly. Nothing wrong with an occasional treat, but if you return to your old eating habbits then your weight will follow

^^ this :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I knew it was time to stop when I went shopping for new jeans, and I fit into the smallest size of the particular brand I like (which isn't tiny, but I like the fit of this brand, and want to wear them forever ;) ). Arbitrary? Yep, but I like what I see, I have tons of gained fitness, and am at a place that is sustainable for the long haul.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating at a deficit when I lost 10 kg which is what I set out to do.

I am not thin, but am happy having a BMI of 23 instead of 28. Ie being a healthy weight instead of overweight.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating at a deficit when I was within a few pounds of my target weight and felt that I looked OK, and wasn't too small or between clothes sizes (I'm petite and in extra-small sizes - any smaller and it would start getting tough to find clothes in my size). I figured that if I want to revisit that then I can always lose a couple more pounds when I've thought about it for a while. It's not a choice that you only get to make once - you can always go back and change things if you want.

Also, I've just carried on eating the same healthy way I did when I was in a deficit, just more of it. I've forgotten how to eat any other way it's been so long.