Too Little Fat

Options
I am a Vegetarian and have a high carb and cycle between a High protein diet and eat very little fat ( I know there are good fats) I don't intentionally avoid them but I look at my food diary and literally "high fats" days total 8 grams which are my high protein days and some days literally total 1 gram of fat.

What are the recommendations for a female when it comes to daily fat grams
I am worried I am eating too few!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You are eating far too few grams of fat. The only fat you really need to worry about is trans fat. Other than that, fat is a necessary part of a diet, and bodies need it.

What is your current calorie goal?
  • nphan
    nphan Posts: 4
    Options
    I get in between 35 to 40 grams a day. Not sure myself if it's too little or too much :(
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    yeah, you need more fat - for brain function, and to allow your body to absorb certain vitamins

stay away from the fat-free or low-fat versions of things, add olive oil to your foods, add avocado. Eat fattier proteins (salmon is great, for example)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    0.35 per pound of weight minimum (or per pound of lean mass if you're obese)

Eat all the nuts!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    nphan wrote: »
    I get in between 35 to 40 grams a day. Not sure myself if it's too little or too much :(

Could be too little.
    I can consume anywhere from 60-80+ a day, and I have no issues losing.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do you like the taste of coconut oil? It's a fabulous source of natural fat. Do you use butter? I also have noticed people's skin get very dry when they don't get enough fat in their diet.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Also, research* shows people who have too little fats cause harm to the liver and gallbladder function ..the gall NEEDS fats to flow the bile into the digestive system to break down foods, too little can actually mean slugey bile, (like dirty oil in engines) stones grow, and stay stuck or cause severe pain when passed….not shockingly MOST U.S. Americans with our modern/processed foods have many many seed-size gall stones, they need to flow out normally as the gall 'pushes' bile thru. (OK boring health lesson over)

* I keep proof of comment with PubMed files and other research to back up what I say.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Drizzle a bit of olive oil, eat an avacado, eat some nuts or nut butter, eat some full fat cheese, have some egg yolks (assuming these are on menu)... but yes, you need more fat than that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You should have 50-67 grams a day.

erx4jts9jtmk.png
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well I dont eat dairy! so no fat from there! And Avocado's and olive oil hate my stomach They give me horrible acid and acid indigestion! I've literally lived on a low fat diet since birth but only stopped eating dairy the past few years so I am worried about my fat grams have really dropped and are just too low!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    Well I dont eat dairy! so no fat from there! And Avocado's and olive oil hate my stomach They give me horrible acid and acid indigestion! I've literally lived on a low fat diet since birth but only stopped eating dairy the past few years so I am worried about my fat grams have really dropped and are just too low!

Low quality olive oil might be the problem if it hurts your stomach. Buy extra virgin olive oil and add it to your cooked meals in moderation, or use it in salads etc. Also what about nuts?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Soy milk has fat. Coconut milk, (canned) is mostly fat. It makes a really great non dairy ice cream.

What about sandwich spreads like Vegenaise, or just mayo if you do eat eggs? You can make a really great sandwich out of smashed chickpeas (think tuna-less tuna salad)

Add fats gradually to avoid tummy issues. I'm currently working on getting my fats up too, but they are no where as low as your levels are, and I'm a vegan!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating enough fat. It's not a mystery--I like to eat and so aim for a lot of high-volume, low calorie food.

My solution has been to eat 1-2 servings of nuts every day. (I also take an omega-3 supplement.) It's not the best solution, because ideally you would eat a variety of fats as well, but it's the only one I have been able to stick to.

I especially love vanilla powder-coated almonds. The cinnamon- and cocoa-dusted ones are great, too. Sometimes almonds decide to be an IBS trigger for me so I turn to cashews, peanuts or macadamia nuts.

And, see my avatar--I go through cycles where I eat a ton of eggs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How about olives? They're a great source of fat. Pile on your pizza, salad, etc and profit. And like I said, nuts. I personally love cashews. (Can you tell that getting enough fat has never been an issue for me? lol)

eta: here, try this link: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/fatstable

Although, I definitely don't endorse the site in general.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    How about olives? They're a great source of fat. Pile on your pizza, salad, etc and profit. And like I said, nuts. I personally love cashews. (Can you tell that getting enough fat has never been an issue for me? lol)

Good link, thank you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    That is some serious micromanaging of fat intake. revise your thinking because that is very unhealthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Low quality olive oil might be the problem if it hurts your stomach. Buy extra virgin olive oil and add it to your cooked meals in moderation, or use it in salads etc. Also what about nuts?
    Can we get extra virgin avocado's, that's the real question.

• Naley2322
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Nah I don't use " low quality" olive oil my family actually gets it shipped from our family in Italy!!!

I think I will try adding raw nuts into my diet!! I sometimes tend to avoid them because they send me over my calories really easily without actually being too filling!
  • Naley2322
    Options

I actually do eat a lot of olives some days but they really don't have enough fat to bring me over that many grams in a day!!