training question for 10k runners

Options
I have ran one 10k before but it was about 4 years ago and I was much bigger - so this is my first attempt and I am a lot fitter.

I ran a 5k a few weeks ago and I wasn't at my best and managed it in 36 minutes.

I have been doing training runs the last couple of weeks and today I did a few sprints to work on building up my speed for about a mile and a half and alternated that with walking - then I went for the run and managed 5 miles at an average speed of 6mph - with my maximum being 8mph. After I had done my run I walked about another 2 miles and almost felt like running some more.

The 1st 10k is this Saturday then I have another 10k the Sunday after. I have not really followed a programme I have just went out there and started running.

My question is - should I do another run in a couple of days, or just practice sprints to build up my speed ?

I feel like I am kind of ready and confident that I will do better than my 1st 10k which I managed in 87 minutes.

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the training you know for these two races. It is too close to the day to suddenly change everything about when you have been training for quite a long time in other ways.

Good luck in your races!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Any additional training within two weeks of your race will have little to no benefit. However, overdoing it could lead to an injury or have you heading into your race tired. Just do your typical run(s).
    And to be totally honest, while speedwork is great and it has definitely helped my 5k time and my soccer game, I don't think it does much for longer distances (for me anyways). The best thing I ever did to improve my 10k time, was to train for a half marathon. Running longer distances and building up endurance made the 10k distance easy by comparison. So I would recommend that you not just focus on sprints, but actually work on buiding up your endurance by adding more distance.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Running longer distances and building up endurance made the 10k distance easy by comparison. So I would recommend that you not just focus on sprints, but actually work on buiding up your endurance by adding more distance.

^^This - good advice!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies - training for a longer distance sounds logical when I think about it - I wasn't sure about the benefits of increasing my speed - just vaguely aware that I feel I could run faster - I am beginning to think about a half marathon next year - can't even believe that is even a long term goal that I could go for.

thank again for taking the time to respond