Healthiest habits

Options
I am Trying to form a new good habit or break an old bad habit every month in 2015. The first month I formed the habit of drinking more water and the second month I tried not to eat emotionally. It didn't work out so well so far but I won't give up! I'm just curious what every ones best health habit is or what you think is the best habit to break in order to lose or maintain weight. Thanks everyone:) feel Free to add me as a friend I don't bite!! (I am corny though)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    log every day, stay in a calorific deficit and walk
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Pretty much what I strive to do!

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    These will be highly personal depending on what your life is like. But here are a few ideas to jog your imagination:
    • Get 8 hours of sleep per night / go to bed by a certain time each night.
    • Walk >10000 steps per day.
    • Go to the gym or work out some set number of days per week.
    • Pre-log your food before you put it in your mouth.
    • Pre-log your food for the week and make your grocery list based on what you log.
    • Try out one new recipe each week.
    • Replace driving with a more active commuting method, like public transit, walking, cycling, etc.
    • Quit smoking if you smoke. (Unrelated to weight loss but definitely related to health!)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    These will be highly personal depending on what your life is like. But here are a few ideas to jog your imagination:
      [*] Get 8 hours of sleep per night / go to bed by a certain time each night.
      [*] Walk >10000 steps per day.
      [*] Go to the gym or work out some set number of days per week.
      [*] Pre-log your food before you put it in your mouth.
      [*] Pre-log your food for the week and make your grocery list based on what you log.
      [*] Try out one new recipe each week.
      [*] Replace driving with a more active commuting method, like public transit, walking, cycling, etc.
      [*] Quit smoking if you smoke. (Unrelated to weight loss but definitely related to health!)

@segacs Any tips on how to actually get to bed by a certain time? Lol. Like both willing yourself to go to bed AND falling asleep. I'll admit that I can only fall asleep really easily when I take melatonin (which then makes me super tired the next day) or er.. inebriated.
    • segacs
      Options
      ana3067 wrote: »
      @segacs Any tips on how to actually get to bed by a certain time? Lol. Like both willing yourself to go to bed AND falling asleep. I'll admit that I can only fall asleep really easily when I take melatonin (which then makes me super tired the next day) or er.. inebriated.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this, since I'm a night owl and tend to stay up far too late most nights... then again, I also usually fall asleep very quickly once I eventually do go to bed. I know some people struggle with insomnia and I sympathize but I probably don't have a ton of useful suggestions to give.
    • ana3067
      Options

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this, since I'm a night owl and tend to stay up far too late most nights... then again, I also usually fall asleep very quickly once I eventually do go to bed. I know some people struggle with insomnia and I sympathize but I probably don't have a ton of useful suggestions to give.
      aw too bad :( I'm also a night owl. Not boding well for school or lifts at the gym :(
    • segacs
      Options
      aw too bad :( I'm also a night owl. Not boding well for school or lifts at the gym :(

Well I can't do much to help you on the school thing, since I assume start time is non-negotiable? Though, back in my student days I used to deliberately avoid registering for any classes before 11am. Oh, those were the days.

You could try going to the gym in the afternoons or evenings if you're a night owl. No law says you have to go in the mornings. That's just what morning people want you to think.

For the most part, I try to arrange my life to accommodate my B-person tendencies. (And yep, whether you're a morning person or a night owl is largely determined by genetics. Look it up!) I do a lot of "morning routine" stuff the night before, so I can sleep as late as possible in the mornings and still get to work on time. I shower, make my lunch, and get my stuff organized in the evenings. I eat breakfast once I get to the office. I can quite literally roll out of bed, get dressed and out the door in ten minutes flat. Oh, and I also work at a job with somewhat flexible hours, so most days I work 9:30-6:30 instead of 8-5 or thereabouts.

Of course, your mileage may vary. We don't always get to choose. But there are some things you can do, within reason, to get enough sleep even if your habit is to go to bed later.

It may help you to not look at any kind of screen (TV, computer, phone, tablet) for an hour or so before bed. The bright light from the screen has been shown to artificially mess with people's sleeping habits. Actually, I've got a screen-free zone in my bedroom -- I don't ever bring my mobile phone in there with me (I leave it charging in the next room at night) and I don't have a TV or any other kind of screen in there. I wake up to an old-fashioned alarm clock. That helps a lot, I find.
    • ana3067
      Options

Well I can't do much to help you on the school thing, since I assume start time is non-negotiable? Though, back in my student days I used to deliberately avoid registering for any classes before 11am. Oh, those were the days.

You could try going to the gym in the afternoons or evenings if you're a night owl. No law says you have to go in the mornings. That's just what morning people want you to think.

For the most part, I try to arrange my life to accommodate my B-person tendencies. (And yep, whether you're a morning person or a night owl is largely determined by genetics. Look it up!) I do a lot of "morning routine" stuff the night before, so I can sleep as late as possible in the mornings and still get to work on time. I shower, make my lunch, and get my stuff organized in the evenings. I eat breakfast once I get to the office. I can quite literally roll out of bed, get dressed and out the door in ten minutes flat. Oh, and I also work at a job with somewhat flexible hours, so most days I work 9:30-6:30 instead of 8-5 or thereabouts.

Of course, your mileage may vary. We don't always get to choose. But there are some things you can do, within reason, to get enough sleep even if your habit is to go to bed later.

It may help you to not look at any kind of screen (TV, computer, phone, tablet) for an hour or so before bed. The bright light from the screen has been shown to artificially mess with people's sleeping habits. Actually, I've got a screen-free zone in my bedroom -- I don't ever bring my mobile phone in there with me (I leave it charging in the next room at night) and I don't have a TV or any other kind of screen in there. I wake up to an old-fashioned alarm clock. That helps a lot, I find.

One more semester and I graduate though, so woo. Until eventually going to grad school :/ LOL.

I already work out in the afternoon though. I do think I have better results working out at night, and I think ti helps me sleep, but I commute. So staying on campus aaall day just to work out late is super inconvenient.

I think that your last point is a major one for me. I really need to try that, but a whole hour before bed seems so sad ;( I love the internet!!
    • ear1011
      ear1011 Posts: 50 Member
      Options
      • Get 8 hours of sleep per night / go to bed by a certain time each night.
      • Walk >10000 steps per day.
      • Go to the gym or work out some set number of days per week.
      • Pre-log your food before you put it in your mouth.
      • Pre-log your food for the week and make your grocery list based on what you log.
      • Try out one new recipe each week.
      • Replace driving with a more active commuting method, like public transit, walking, cycling, etc.
      • Quit smoking if you smoke. (Unrelated to weight loss but definitely related to health!)

Awesome tips!!!
    • ForeverSunshine09
      ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
      Options
      I have started drinking hot green tea. it has helped me with water weight. I hate the taste but, I choke it down because it helps and I feel a difference.
    • segacs
      Options
      AmberSue09 wrote: »
      I have started drinking hot green tea. it has helped me with water weight. I hate the taste but, I choke it down because it helps and I feel a difference.

You shouldn't have to drink something that you hate the taste of in order to lose weight. That's not how it works. Green tea doesn't have any magical properties. It's just a beverage.

If you don't like it, don't drink it. It's that simple.
    • Aviva92
      Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
      edited February 2015
      Options
      i started walking to and from work every day which equates to 5 miles a day. although, with the weather we are having here lately, i'm not sure that it's the healthiest of habits now, especially with being sick yesterday but doing it anyway. it's so cold!
    • Ang108
      Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
      Options
      queenliz99 wrote: »

That is exactly what I do. I have debilitating RA since I was in high school and in April 2013 could not walk at all. From doing 5 minutes with a walker or cane I now can walk 60 minutes without any aids at all and am 55 pounds lighter.

• Ang108
      Options

• ForeverSunshine09
      Options

You shouldn't have to drink something that you hate the taste of in order to lose weight. That's not how it works. Green tea doesn't have any magical properties. It's just a beverage.

If you don't like it, don't drink it. It's that simple.

If that were the case I would never eat salad or basically any vegetable or fruits. Honestly, I didn't drink green tea to lose weight. It helps because of my kidney disease I retain water more than others. I also choke down cranberry juice. I do what I gotta do.
    • Ang108
      Options

Are you sure that you prepare it the right way ?
      I felt the same way about green tea as you do. I made it with boiling water and it was bitter and awful.
      During an 11 year stay in Japan I learned to prepare all kinds of green tea and learned that it is made with water of no more than 90 C and only steeped a minute IF you use decent tea leaves and not the tea bags that are mostly only tea dust.
      I was surprised at the delicate and not bitter at all flavor. You also could drink mixes of green tea and fruit or other herbs ( I like green tea and lemon grass) , or....if you still don't like it, chose another beverage.
      Green tea has healthful properties, but none are related to weight loss. Maybe you like black tea, Oolong, Pu-err or some of the African teas better. As someone said, there is no reason you need to drink something you don't like. There are always other options.

• ForeverSunshine09
      Options
      Ang108 wrote: »

Are you sure that you prepare it the right way ?
      I felt the same way about green tea as you do. I made it with boiling water and it was bitter and awful.
      During an 11 year stay in Japan I learned to prepare all kinds of green tea and learned that it is made with water of no more than 90 C and only steeped a minute IF you use decent tea leaves and not the tea bags that are mostly only tea dust.
      I was surprised at the delicate and not bitter at all flavor. You also could drink mixes of green tea and fruit or other herbs ( I like green tea and lemon grass) , or....if you still don't like it, chose another beverage.
      Green tea has healthful properties, but none are related to weight loss. Maybe you like black tea, Oolong, Pu-err or some of the African teas better. As someone said, there is no reason you need to drink something you don't like. There are always other options.

Iam not drinking it for weight loss. I didn't not even realize it would help with that. It helps get toxins out of my kidneys which arent good. My problem isn't that it is bitter it just doesn't taste good. I drink it because I feel a difference in me not my weight. I am sorry if what I wrote was misunderstood. I do not drink green tea for weight loss.