liver enzymes increased dramatically

Options
I was hoping someone would have some information on this subject. I have suffered with an eating disorder for a long time. I went to an eating disorder facility for treatment. they tested my blood about 5 times in the two weeks I was there. All normal. On the day of discharge, I was tested again. This time my ALT, AST and ALP were 5 times the normal level. I am already scheduled for a retest and CT scan. I was just hoping someone had any insight as to such a huge jump in a 5 day period of time. thank you.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The test results are probably wrong. There is no way to figure out where the mistakes were made. Wait for the next test.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any medications you took in that time can affect liver results. I have fatty liver and any time I am sick my liver results jump. I was in hospital just before xmas for asthma and on the saturday night (when i was the sickest) they were hugely high....but by the monday morning they had dropped.
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Even something as simple as not fasting prior to liver functions test can cause an increase.... but follow up just to rule out other causes
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Medications, an illness?
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input. medicationwise...nothing new. I am on hormonal birth control--but I have been on that for years. ironically, this test came at the end of being fed consistently and nutritiously and fully hydrated.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after being on a medication for any amount of time can suddenly effect your liver enzymes. After a few years on Celebrex I suddenly wound up in the hospital for a few days with heightened liver enzymes. They took me off it and told me to never take it again. Have you checked your birth control side effects to see if it's possible?
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after being on a medication for any amount of time can suddenly effect your liver enzymes. After a few years on Celebrex I suddenly wound up in the hospital for a few days with heightened liver enzymes. They took me off it and told me to never take it again. Have you checked your birth control side effects to see if it's possible?

yes, birth control is a medication that has been known to cause heightened liver enzymes. But I have been on it for so long without incident. It just seems strange that my enzymes would spike so dramatically within a matter of a few days. (also, I was on my placebo week, incidentally.)