Dukan Diet

Options
A friend of mine went on this weight loss plan and did wonderful. I have read a few pros and cons to it, but was wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts on it?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat this way forever? If not, don't start now as when you go back to eating normally you will gain the weight back. I personally hate diets. I would rather change my eating to something I can continue with whether I am losing weight or not.
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    I did it and lost weight pretty quickly...It's not really sustainable for me though, however I do try to eat this way during the day with regular dinners. I think it's good if you have somewhere you are going like a wedding or reunion and need to fit into something quick hah. But, other than that, counting calories has worked better.
  • JeanMarieJ
    JeanMarieJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The key to losing weight and keeping it off isn't going on a diet, it's changing your current diet to a more healthy one. My mother did this and yes she saw results but she regained that weight. You really need to have a good idea of what type of fuel you are putting into your body and making the most of it. It's not just in counting the calories you tai in but ensuring that the calories you take in are quality. I could eat my allotted calories in frozen meals, prepared 100 calorie snacks, and other processed foods but I get to eat way more food when I eat fresh fruits and veggies. Here is a comparison I did with my 12 year old niece the other day (it's comparing a kids choice to an adult but it give the basic idea)
    She ate:
    2 pop-tarts @ 400 calories
    Java Chip coffee house drink @ 510 calories
    Breakfast = 910 calories

I ate:
    4 egg white omelet w/ 3 mushrooms, 1/2 tomato, & 1/2c spinach @ 127 calories
    1/2c cottage cheese @ 90 calories
    with water
    Breakfast = 217 calories

Now I know this was a child's breakfast choice (and her mom could've guided her) But just looking at the comparison of the quality of nutrients and calories you can see a difference. She had virtually no protein and way to much carbohydrates!

You want a healthy balance of fats, proteins, & carbs to fuel your body efficiently and you will see weight loss.

Sorry I got a little carried away but I hope this was helpful.
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The key to losing weight and keeping it off isn't going on a diet, it's changing your current diet to a more healthy one. My mother did this and yes she saw results but she regained that weight. You really need to have a good idea of what type of fuel you are putting into your body and making the most of it. It's not just in counting the calories you tai in but ensuring that the calories you take in are quality. I could eat my allotted calories in frozen meals, prepared 100 calorie snacks, and other processed foods but I get to eat way more food when I eat fresh fruits and veggies. Here is a comparison I did with my 12 year old niece the other day (it's comparing a kids choice to an adult but it give the basic idea)
    She ate:
    2 pop-tarts @ 400 calories
    Java Chip coffee house drink @ 510 calories
    Breakfast = 910 calories

I ate:
    with water
    Breakfast = 217 calories

Now I know this was a child's breakfast choice (and her mom could've guided her) But just looking at the comparison of the quality of nutrients and calories you can see a difference. She had virtually no protein and way to much carbohydrates!

You want a healthy balance of fats, proteins, & carbs to fuel your body efficiently and you will see weight loss.

Sorry I got a little carried away but I hope this was helpful.

This was great information, thank you everyone! I agree, it is not sustainable unless you stay on it forever. I think at the end of the day, I will end up with a blend of several different plans into one lifestyle plan that will fit me. I thought about doing it as more a kick start or clean up of bad habits. I know it definitely could not be a long term plan for me. Thanks, again.
  • JeanMarieJ
    JeanMarieJ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! Good Luck! Friend me if you'd like to share some motivation!
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I ate:
    with water
    Breakfast = 217 calories

Why not eat the whole egg? PROTEIN!