Canada? Do you like to live there?

Options
Hey people!

I'm thinking about moving to Canada, but first I would like to know a little bit about it, I've done some research about it but I would love to get some advice about which is the best place to live or what you do for living there?

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Canada is pretty much like any other developed country in the world. Where do you live now or where have you lived in the past? What are your job skills? What type of things do you like to do?
    These are the things that will affect where you live. Anyone you ask will say where they live is the best place!
  • silviaG07
    silviaG07 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Well, currently I live in Central America so I would love to go there and have a new experience. I love to interact with people and be kind with them maybe working as a teacher or as a Customer Representative.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    To be a teacher , you need a degree and jobs are tough to find in the larger cities as there are many grads each year. I have a degree in education but found employment I another field.

lived in Edmonton ab Canada all my life. The winters are long (Oct to late march/early April). This past winter, temps range from -35 celsisus to +7 with the average around -15. You can get heavy snow, freezing rain, or it can warm up and melt everything which causes the streets and sidewalks to turn to skating rinks. There are lots of festivals and activities such as skating or skiing

Spring, summer, fall are really nice. The weather is warm and there are lots of things to do.

Just be aware that the cost of living is very high... The average house in Edmonton/Calgary is $450000.00.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used to live in British Columbia. It is breathtaking there. The winters are not harsh near the coast and there is so much to do for someone who loves the outdoors. I highly recommend checking it out.
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lived in British Columbia all my life. I love it here. Sometimes the job search can be tough. But eventually something will come up. I really don't know much about the rest of Canada. I've wanted to travel and explore it, but don't have the finances yet.

Either way, if you're really up for the move and eager to try Canada, then I think you'll like it :)
  • silviaG07
    Options
    Thank you so much to everybody, it's nice to see all the comments. The idea about going to British Columbia sounds cool maybe I'll go there :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I live in BC, just outside Vancouver. I absolutely love it. While the rest of the country is shivering, we're walking around in tshirts and enjoying the flowers already. We do get a lot of rain though so if you don't like gloomy, it's not the place for you. Summer and Fall is wonderful. Where I live we have mountains, beaches, forests, etc. so if you love the outdoors, you would really like it.

I lived in Edmonton for most of my childhood and all I can says is....cold. Very very cold.
  • silviaG07
    Options
    British Columbia sounds good but I think Edmonton it's better I love doing outdoors things so it sounds like a good place :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love living in Canada.
  • jenncamp03
    jenncamp03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I live in BC and love it! We live in Kamloops, so it's not super cold. Housing is decent Prince George is cheaper ( I lived in og for 20 yrs. long winters tho) education is a hard field to get jobs here but nursing is a good one, or mining ;)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and my parents moved from South America to Ontario years ago. They found the first winter hard and shocking dealing with grey skies and cold temperatures. But, they stuck it out for over 20 years and the weather is just something you deal with. I would imagine coming from Central America you might experience a something similar initially. I lived in Regina for a couple years, it was very, very cold. If it weren't for the weather, I would move back, there are a lot of things to love there.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Alberta, and moved to a gulf island in BC more than 10 years ago. I've also lived in the deep south in the USA. Definitely prefer BC, Canada.

Pros of BC:
    • Amazing mild weather. I happen to love rain, so that's cool. Seriously, we've had no snow this year, and the temps haven't dropped much below freezing all winter.
    • Tons of outdoor activities and amenities... Biking, camping, hiking, beach combing, skiing/snowboarding, kayaking, trail walks, gardening almost year round, beautiful provincial parks, active artist/music community, tons of organic farms.
    • Cost of living outside of big cities is quite affordable.

Cons of BC:
    • Lack of gov't funding in pretty much every sector which means expensive ferries, education budget issues, long healthcare waits, etc...
    • If you don't like rain or short dark days in the winter, there's a lot of that.
    • Jobs are hard to find and the ones that do exist rarely pay well, or are very part time.
    • Cost of living in big cities is HIGH.

• xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in Ontario and jobs here are extremely difficult to find. It took me 5 years to get permanent with a school board - I was supply teaching for those 5 years. Out West they seem to have more teaching jobs and of course, up North. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    silviaG07 wrote: »
    British Columbia sounds good but I think Edmonton it's better I love doing outdoors things so it sounds like a good place :)
    I love this conclusion lol
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    xp0sed wrote: »
    I'm a teacher in Ontario and jobs here are extremely difficult to find. It took me 5 years to get permanent with a school board - I was supply teaching for those 5 years. Out West they seem to have more teaching jobs and of course, up North. :)

I have so many friends who have graduated from Teachers' College and are having trouble finding work. Most of those friends had to move overseas to teach English.

I grew up in southern Ontario and only recently moved abroad. I definitely miss living in Canada at times, but if I ever come back, I will settle out West. I have been out to BC and Alberta and not only is the climate better in my opinion, but the pace of life is more relaxed and there are more employment opportunities. Ontario is good for business if you move to the bigger cities, but if you settle in a smaller town there isn't much other than factory work. Honestly, I didn't enjoy living in Ontario as much as I liked living in other places (I'm currently in New Zealand), but that's just my preference. Ontario is - and always will be - home to me, which I personally have a love-hate relationship with!

But overall, Canada is a great place to move. I still think we have the best healthcare system in the world and people are generally very nice!

• silviaG07
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the comments, I was in doubt if I should go there but now I'm pretty sure that I'll go there maybe the weather is something I should consider because here it's not too cold and honestly I don't like to wear sweaters but I think I have to there Lol.