"fat" clothes?

Options
What to do with my fat clothes? I am scared to get rid of but at the same time I feel if I keep them then I feel like I have a cushion in case I gain back weight. The clothes is only 2 or 3 sizes to big, so 10 pounds gained and I could fit into them again. I don't want to gain though and still have 6 pounds to goal.

Just curious if you hold onto your "fat clothes" or donated/pitched them.

Thanks!

Replies

• healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Last week I just gave away 12 pants and 6 dresses. It felt so good!! I have dropped 3 pant sizes so far and I am aiming for 3 more. I really wanted to keep one pair of my biggest just to compare when I get to my goal but I figure I can just go to a store and take a pic instead of keeping them in my closet. Donate them, someone out there needs them and your to skinny for them and don't ever want to wear them again.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I vote put them in a box outside of your closet. Give them away or sell them if you want at a designated time. google "Project 333"... it is the best method for clearing out a closet.

I have been working utilizing a slightly modified Project 333 (not giving away my jewelry or shoes!!) and I can tell you everything I boxed up got given away after 3 months!

If you have ever watched the show "Clean House" the hostess always said never keep any clothes more than 1 size up or 1 size down. It's a pretty good rule to live by if you have a very petite body/frame that 5 to 10 pounds makes a major difference in your clothes fit.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    The salvation army knew me by name.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the point where my clothes are "too big" yet (especially my jeans), but most of them will probably go to Goodwill when I'm done (except for a sweater or two that would look totally cute a little bit baggy). I'm planning a big shopping trip for when I hit my goal weight, so I'll have lots of clothes to wear.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't keep them just in case you gain weight back. Personally I find doing that makes it easy to gain weight back.

Donate your clothing that is too big. Anything that is great quality maybe try to see if you can get it altered to still fit you. Otherwise I would donate them to the salvation army. Or, if you have higher quality clothing or have a consignment store around you bring the clothing there so you can make some money off of them.

I have always brought my clothing to the salvation army. I save up a bag or two until I go to the thrift store. When I need to get a few more items I bring back what I have that doesn't fit anymore to donate back. If I know people who would make use of my old clothing I give it to them if they want it before donating.
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The stuff I love, I plan to commit to my new size with my sewing machine.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i am keeping my last fat pants i bought, i actually still wear them, even tho i am 4 sizes smaller now, to school because i dont want ppl asking me about me losing weight. But i will keep them till the end to compare my new pants with them but the rest i am going to donate never ever do i want to fit into them again.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As soon as I couldn't fit in them anymore, I gave them away as fast as I could find someone to use them. I didn't want the excuse that I had clothes that I could wear if I gained any back. I am lucky, and our preachers wife has also started losing and is right behind me in size, so I give them to her, but at first, I posted them on FB and said first to get them, can have them!
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Last week I just gave away 12 pants and 6 dresses. It felt so good!! I have dropped 3 pant sizes so far and I am aiming for 3 more. I really wanted to keep one pair of my biggest just to compare when I get to my goal but I figure I can just go to a store and take a pic instead of keeping them in my closet. Donate them, someone out there needs them and your to skinny for them and don't ever want to wear them again.
    I kick myself for not keeping a pair of 24 pants to compare, but a great idea to just go find a size at a store and take a pic :D
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    some of my clothes were too ratty so i threw them away but I am donating a lot.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I was pondering organising a Swishing party, but will probably end up giving them to charity. I've got a couple of skirts and dresses I'd like to get altered, but most of the rest is GOING. I'm waiting til I hit my goal so I can do a photo shoot in the old stuff to remind myself how far I've come. But I'm not keeping anything to wear "out", only old T-shirts and jumpers for slobbing about in the evening.

If my nice new clothes get tight I'll reduce my calories until they fit comfortably again. I'm not going back to fat.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. Having to go buy larger sizes again is an extra disincentive to not put the weight back on.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping one size too large all the time, just so I'll have something to wear if I do relapse a bit (I know myself well enough to recognise that I may have an indulgent holiday or a difficult time which will send me off the tracks a bit, but I also feel that I'm not going to let myself ever get back as fat as I was. I'm in seriuosly good habits now, compared to my old ones, and my knowledge is much better).

Anything larger than that I'm selling on ebay or donating. I use the money from my ebay selling to buy new things in my smaller size, it really helps reinforce my commitment!
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am having the same dilemma. I have boxes and boxes of clothes that are too big (some of them 5 sizes too big) and I cannot really afford the space they take.
    However, I have already lost huge amounts of weight in the past, ditched the old clothes, and guess what... it didn't stop me from putting the weight back on, and I had to buy new fat clothes.
    I am giving myself a year before I give / throw them away.
  • ayedemi17
    ayedemi17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can always put them on EBAY! Or donate, or give them to consignment, or sew them to make them fit you if you love them that much. Either way...don't keep them. You do not want to have an excuse to go back to the size you were before. There are always people who are the size you used to be and those less fortunate than yourself :)
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you keep them, and you DO fit back into them at some point in time, it will really depress you..and you'll hate putting them on.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I would donate or sell them (if they are in decent condition). Maybe keep one outfit as a reminder of how far you've come as well as a motivator to prevent you from falling into that cycle again.

Either way, it's great that you have come so far and are able to clear out! :)
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had clothes that I did not want to give away. Most were from my highest weight, others from my lowest. I didn't want to have to buy clothes if I lost or gained weight. One day I was standing in my closet, looking around. I decided I was tired of hanging onto the clothes I could no longer fit. I pulled all of the clothes out, and boxed them for donation. They sat in my living room for a few days, and a friend had come over. She started talking about how she needed clothes. She had gained so much weight that she could hardly fit any of her own anymore. So I gave her the big clothes. As we were going through the clothes she asked if she could just take them all. Puzzled I looked at her.... She said, "I have family members of all shapes and sizes. What I can't wear I will pass around. What we don't want I will donate, or give away." Now I don't miss them. (-:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I gave all of my over-sized clothes to Goodwill as soon as they got too big for me. I started at a size 18/20. As soon as I was into a 14/16, all of the larger clothes went away. And when I got to a 10/12, once again - everything was hauled off to charity. I think I gave my whole wardrobe away three times during my weight loss process. I mostly wear 4/6/8 now depending on brand, and have enjoyed investing in some quality clothes. I am NOT getting fat again! :smile:
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of 13 bags of "fat" clothes! I can't believe I had that many clothes in the first place. It seemed like there was never anything to wear. But, I gave them to a friend who sells on ebay and told her to keep half of what she makes on them. Then I went to the thrift store to get a few things (didn't spend more than $100) to tide me over until the next time I get rid of things again.

I was going to keep a pair of my sz 24's too, but then I realized I could go to a store and take a picture, just like someone else said. I also bought a "goal" dress in a sz 12 that I plan to be wearing by the end of summer. I just wore a 16 this weekend to an event. So, I know I'll get there. Besides, it was so cute and only $5. I couldn't pass it up.

My advice, unless you know someone personally that could use your old clothes, get rid of them. It does something to you emotionally. It's bittersweet. At least it was for me.