Mirena and never filling full

Options
2»

Replies

• sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Any birth control will have vastly different side effects for each individual. I had a horrible experience with Mirena. Diagnosed with Raynauds and possible Rhematoid arthritis. suffered for 2 years. My doctor was convinced it had nothing to do with Mirena. I looked online and in the brochure for Mirena that was a possible side effect (joint pain etc.). I got it taken out and I do not have Raynauds anymore and joint pain is almost completely gone. I am convinced that I reacted to the Mirena in a horrible way but that it does not happen to everyone.

It will get better!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have lost 8 lbs since having my Mirena out in January. There have been very few changes to my diet to cause this improvement - rather, my energy level has increased dramatically. Getting up at 6am to run is now POSSIBLE.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tulipea wrote: »
    Hey guys just here with an update, went in to get it removed today to find out its lost :( I have to follow up in 2 days to get an ultrasound and another appointment to remove it. I was so hoping to have it done and over with and be out of this pain. My body is constantly cramping(everywhere!!) and if i walk to briskly or make to sharp of movements i can feel it stabbing again. I have alot of bloating and frequent breathing troubles especially in cold(possibly because of all the weight i've gained in this past year)

-Slightly over one year-
    Mirena start weight:225
    Current doctor weight:274

Weight gain areas:
    Stomach+ major
    chin+minor
    knees+minor
    aYNosP1.png

Oh dear, Best of luck. I had Mirena for a couple of years and I loved it. I gained weight, but I can say it is almost 100% my bad choices. Just too much pizza and ice cream and beer. That said, I have PCOS and the first time I really gained weight like crazy was when I went OFF birth control to get pregnant the first time. I went up like 60 pounds in a year! And for the first time in my life weight accumulated on my belly. Ugh. I was hoping going on BCPs now would help to control that some, but in the last 6 months that hasn't been the case...
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this is your experience. I'm glad they will be locating and removing it.

Every person reacts differently to birth control.

I am on my second cycle of Mirena so I'm in 6 years I love it.

I hated other birth control options like the patch andf the pill.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena. No weight gain or hunger that could be attributed to Mirena. No pain in my pelvic area unless I wiggle the wires in an uncomfortable way (I check it regularly). Even then, it's uncomfortable not painful.

I love it actually. V. light periods is very convenient.

ETA:
    Glad they will be sorting this out. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    pain and cramps worry about that can be fixed...

Mirena itself doesn't cause weight gain it causes and increase of appetite so the weight gain in on you sorry...

Yes other side effects...some find it worth it some don't..I personally loved mine.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ... Mirena itself doesn't cause weight gain it causes and increase of appetite so the weight gain in on you sorry...

Fact or opinion aside, I think you could have found a nicer way to express this to OP, who is obviously having major problems with it (if you continue to read the thread).
  • Tulipea
    Tulipea Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Its finally out, turns out my wings on the mirena collapsed so it was having its own little fun time inside there. coming out it was extremely painful, comparable to a contraction. After it came out a felt a flood of dizyness and weird feeling while going out of the docs with a bit of light pain now but nothing like before. I feel loadsssssss better.

On the part of mirena and getting fat, i know my diet is not healthy at the moment or in the last few years. But in my entire life i never gained weight THAT fast, nor in my stomach that much. I do think i should have gained weight but not to the extent i was. I was also growing darker hair on my face(chin and cheeks) breaking out in acne bursts on my face, neck and back. I'll update in a week and see how this goes but as of now my pain is way better and im so happy ^_^
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    My question is does anyone else here have/had the mirena?
    Did you loss or gain weight after getting it?
    Do you never feel satisfied food/drink wise, if removed did it go away?
    Do you get/have pains in your pelvic area?

I got my Mirena in Sept 2013
    I've been able to steadily lose weight while having it once I started to count my calories and eat at a deficit.
    I've never noticed any changes in my hunger or thirst level
    I do not have pains in my pelvic area.

If you are experiencing pain in your pelvic area- make an appointment with your GYN to have the placement checked.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Glad you got it removed successfully. I used Mirena on and off for lots of years (babies in between :) ) I gained weight pretty easily, but I know my eating was way off and lost fairly consistently when I paid attention to what I was eating, so I really don't think the two were connected. I had mine removed recently because it had expired and also the strings had gone 'up' ( :s ) and I miss it!

The other hormonal changes should NOT be related to the Mirena, as the hormones are local to the uterus only. If things don't improve within a couple of months, consider seeing your doctor again as there may be another cause.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Its finally out, turns out my wings on the mirena collapsed so it was having its own little fun time inside there. coming out it was extremely painful, comparable to a contraction. After it came out a felt a flood of dizyness and weird feeling while going out of the docs with a bit of light pain now but nothing like before. I feel loadsssssss better.

On the part of mirena and getting fat, i know my diet is not healthy at the moment or in the last few years. But in my entire life i never gained weight THAT fast, nor in my stomach that much. I do think i should have gained weight but not to the extent i was. I was also growing darker hair on my face(chin and cheeks) breaking out in acne bursts on my face, neck and back. I'll update in a week and see how this goes but as of now my pain is way better and im so happy ^_^

... and I am so happy for you! Yes, the ten pounds I gained in the very brief time I had Mirena in place was all bloating around the mid-section - my pants didn't button - and along with that were all these new, lovely gastrointestinal symptoms. There had been no change in my diet nor my running routine.

I am smiling for you now ... let us know how you feel after a while! :smile:
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love my Mirena. Practically painless to put in (with cytotek and a paracervical block) - my doc is nice to women that haven't had kids. I was on depo 5 years prior and tried to blame it on my weight gain. Turns out I just wasn't weighing my food with a food scale and was grossly overeating.
  • Tulipea
    Tulipea Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One week update here. Down 4 almost 5 lb since removal. Terrible headache the first few days and return of the red tide. No changed in eating or exercise other then being able to walk at a normal pace and not gimp when i felt pain. Overall i feel more upbeat, less pain and hopeful. I hope this helps someone out there. Mirenas are amazing but every body is not the same and some people handle hormones and devices differently. Mine did not take to well. This was my first ever form of birth control other then one month round of birth control pills 4 years ago.
    I will do a 6 month update how how things are going. :D good luck people.
  • romseygirl
    romseygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One week update here. Down 4 almost 5 lb since removal. Terrible headache the first few days and return of the red tide. No changed in eating or exercise other then being able to walk at a normal pace and not gimp when i felt pain. Overall i feel more upbeat, less pain and hopeful. I hope this helps someone out there. Mirenas are amazing but every body is not the same and some people handle hormones and devices differently. Mine did not take to well. This was my first ever form of birth control other then one month round of birth control pills 4 years ago.
    I will do a 6 month update how how things are going. :D good luck people.

Glad you got sorted - I had a mirena for 11 yrs, in that time I didn't have a single period, not even spotting, never had trouble with weight gain. I loved it, that was until I tried for another baby... Took 3 yrs two miss carriages and a D & C before my OB/GYN finally told me the mirena had done damage / scaring to my uterus and lining. Pleased to say I now have a healthy 6mth baby girl, but those coils can effect everyone differently!!