stick to thick, bony to buff

Options
Tell us why you want to gain weight.
I thought it would be a good place for all of you to tell us your story.
what is your current weight and what is your goal weight, your gender, why you want to gain weight, and what you're doing to reach your goal. :)

I will go first.

my current weight is 8.6 stone and goal is 9.5 stone. I'm a female. I've forever been a stick and i want to thicken up a bit and get a bit of meat on my bones. I'm underweight for my height as well. its something that I've wanted for ages and i think about time I get serious. I'm eating 2500 calories and once i reach my goal will then weight train to tone up.

whats your story???

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs at 5'1 going from 150 to 105 but still wasnt happy with how I looked. Working on building muscle so I can firm up a bit when I eventually start cutting again
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    madiha1397 wrote: »
    what is your current weight and what is your goal weight, your gender, why you want to gain weight, and what you're doing to reach your goal. :)

I will go first.

my current weight is 8.6 stone and goal is 9.5 stone. I'm a female. I've forever been a stick and i want to thicken up a bit and get a bit of meat on my bones. I'm underweight for my height as well. its something that I've wanted for ages and i think about time I get serious. I'm eating 2500 calories and once i reach my goal will then weight train to tone up.

whats your story???

You should lift now along with your calorie surplus...do not wait until you've hit your weight...eat big and lift big.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes as above, don't bulk without lifting! It will go to fat, build some muscle in now, then you'll be more toned when you get to your goal weight, and you won't need to cut.

I'm 127, 5'7" and happy with my body fat percentage but it's a bit higher and I'm less firm than I was a year ago, so I'm bulking again in October after triathlon season. It takes years off the body.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily trying to gain weight but I may need to embrace the concept. I was on a calorie deficit for the better part of 2.5 years. Was hovering around 130 for at least the last 6 months. I had been thinking about joining a gym for a long time and until then was only doing a few things with kettlebells and dumbbells. I joined a gym at the end of December and started heavy lifting. I couldn't maintain a deficit and felt I would be better off recomping at maintenance. After glycogen restoration and about 7 weeks of lifting I'm up to 142 as of yesterday. Even with the increase in weight I'm seeing great composition changes. Can't wait to see more changes.
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes as above, don't bulk without lifting! It will go to fat, build some muscle in now, then you'll be more toned when you get to your goal weight, and you won't need to cut.

I'm 127, 5'7" and happy with my body fat percentage but it's a bit higher and I'm less firm than I was a year ago, so I'm bulking again in October after triathlon season. It takes years off the body.
    Bulking takes years off the body, is that what you mean?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tiffanyaiv wrote: »

Just putting weight on without lifting means you're going to get fat.

Lifting + surplus = muscle gain.

Surplus no lifting = fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Yes, bulking turned the clock back to my physique when I was a stable hand at 15/16... Before I got into binging and starving. I'm 44 now. I was in incredible shape a year ago at the top of my bulk. Bulking doesn't just add muscle, it increases bone density, blood, improves skin, hair the whole lot. It's the constant extra calories and nutrition. But you have to work your butt off in the gym, no half measures! If your heart and mind are in the right place, you can do it! I've never had a trainer, I take my body building books to the gym and haul them around the benches like a lifty bookworm!

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yes, bulking turned the clock back to my physique when I was a stable hand at 15/16... Before I got into binging and starving. I'm 44 now. I was in incredible shape a year ago at the top of my bulk. Bulking doesn't just add muscle, it increases bone density, blood, improves skin, hair the whole lot. It's the constant extra calories and nutrition. But you have to work your butt off in the gym, no half measures! If your heart and mind are in the right place, you can do it! I've never had a trainer, I take my body building books to the gym and haul them around the benches like a lifty bookworm!

Yes, to all this!

Bulking has me in better shape than when I was 18. Stronger, slimmer, happier. Don't skip the lifting, believe me, gaining without it does not have the same effect!

• yshephard93
    yshephard93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining weight cause I'm currently 120 / 5"7 . I wanna be 145 lb so I can actually see the weight on me . I've been eating more thanks to maca root pills and apetamin. Both helped increase my appetite tremendously , I run through calories so fast sometimes , I'm hungry like every hour on this stuff. The tracker says I'll gain 5 pounds by March 25 but I sincerely think I'll gain more then that.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Very thin my whole life. Emaciated almost. 6'4", weighed 160lbs at some points. Distance running was the only thing I was good at because I was so physically weak. Really screwed my joints up doing that competitively for many years through high school and college.

Just got sick of my body, and started to change stuff around in 2012. Got to a healthier weight just working out occasionally and eating a bit more. Really started getting serious last spring; lifting compound and heavy, eating what I should be and enough of it. Mostly kicking myself for not starting sooner, healthiest I have ever been because of lifting.
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining weight cause I'm currently 120 / 5"7 . I wanna be 145 lb so I can actually see the weight on me . I've been eating more thanks to maca root pills and apetamin. Both helped increase my appetite tremendously , I run through calories so fast sometimes , I'm hungry like every hour on this stuff. The tracker says I'll gain 5 pounds by March 25 but I sincerely think I'll gain more then that.

I've seen loads of people on apetamin on you tube with incredible results. How many calories do you eat per day and do you work out at the moment? Maca root I've heard was also supposed to be great for gaining weight.

Sounds like Your goals are pretty much identical to mine. Yay!! I try to get in as close to 3000 calories as possible. Usually it's like 2500. How about you??

• Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Told ya you could build to 3,000 calories, madiha ;)
  • madiha1397
    madiha1397 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Very thin my whole life. Emaciated almost. 6'4", weighed 160lbs at some points. Distance running was the only thing I was good at because I was so physically weak. Really screwed my joints up doing that competitively for many years through high school and college.

Just got sick of my body, and started to change stuff around in 2012. Got to a healthier weight just working out occasionally and eating a bit more. Really started getting serious last spring; lifting compound and heavy, eating what I should be and enough of it. Mostly kicking myself for not starting sooner, healthiest I have ever been because of lifting.

That sounds awesome :) glad you're finally on track. And that your strength has picked up too. And hey, if you didn't go through the bad you maybe wouldn't have appreciate the good :) good on Ya mate
  • TristanMacNessaCampbell
    Options
    my current weight is 103lb, I am male 5'2'', and I was originally 87lb.
    my current goal is to get up to 120 but I don't know if I can do it. I am a recovering anorexic and so weight is a hard thing for me. (my original goal was 70lb)
    I'm planning to work out more than I have been but if you count all the walking and cleaning and caring I do on the farm I lift tons and burn up to 3000cal a day.
    I find it hard to even make it up to 1000cal in food consumed, the highest I've gotten to is 750cal.

I've made huge changes in diet, I'm trying to eat grains (my family bought me cereal) and milk, which tastes awful raw but I'm trying.

the reason I want to gain weight is because I am going on a plane to the USA's Georgia for Momocon to see a very close friend who lives there. I want to have the stamina to enjoy the week I will be there without being tired all the time or afraid of eating.

reading every ones stories is very motivational, I hope to one day have a story of my own to tell.

good luck guys.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    madiha1397 wrote: »

I will go first.

whats your story???

You should lift now along with your calorie surplus...do not wait until you've hit your weight...eat big and lift big.

This. It will give you a lovely shape instead of just fat gains.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I think it is important to stress the importance of rest here (depending on your personality type).

I have just had a very interesting visit to the physio after I have finally caved and admitted to myself that the amount of *kitten* my shoulder was giving me wasn't normal....

Bear in mind, I work a physical job - I couldn't tell him the last time I'd had a week off or a deload week. I am now happily taking a week off, followed by a deload week - remember that by stressing your muscles in the gym, you are making them weaker, not stronger, they need time to repair and grow for you to see gains.