Suggestions please: alternatives for tortilla wraps (UK)?

Options
2»

Replies

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Huppdiwupp wrote: »
    @ibamosaserreinas‌ - as I mentioned in my original post, I've tried spring rolls with rice paper - I like them, but they're not really an every day solution, as the paper needs to be softened up with hot water.

I make them in the morning before I go to work. They are still fine a few hours later.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    The free-from aisle in Asda and some other supermarkets have BFree wraps, they're gluten and dairy free, they're thinner than most normal wraps but the diameter is still just as big. They're only 99 cals per wrap and they're not as high-priced as most GF products (less than £3 for a pack of 6.) Free-from is not for everyone of course but probably worth a try for the low cals. I've eaten them several times (I have to eat GF) and I like them, so does my non-GF partner.

Certainly the lowest calories so far (even per 100g)

If you can stomach the cost!

Oddly they didn't come up in my search.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you have Flatout brand in the UK? Those are a pretty good size and 90-100 calories each.

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't know if these are available in the UK: Mountain Bread - Natural Wraps (70 calories ea). I've had them and they are tasty. They are thinner than other wraps but don't seem to tear. I was pleased with them.
  • 00_Staarling
    00_Staarling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found wraps made out of rice at my local supermarket last night - full size and only 68 calories per wrap! They are delicious! There were also corn wraps (same large size) for 70 calories per wrap.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The BFree wraps are round and about 46g for 99kcal, but a lot of people don't like them (anecdotally, in my experience).
    The Warburtons GF White Wrap is 75g for 207kcal and the seeded GF is 60g for 181kcal, they are very good but if you don't need to be GF then it's probably not worth it compared with standard ones!
    The Warburtons non-GF/regular wrap (half & half) is 41g for 121kcal, the standard size ones are around 65g for 187kcal.

The Warburtons ones are rectangular so you can get less waste. You can fill them up lots and then wrap with foil on the outer to keep them together. I have looked for big wraps in the past and haven't been able to find them. Old El Paso do corn tortillas that are 126kcal, they are 42g but I don't remember if they are the same size as standard flour tortillas.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all your suggestions, really helpful! I will definitely try some of them out. I don't normally buy GF, but I'll give them a try, and also try the square wraps. Using something else to hold them together is also good advice, so less dough is "wasted" on folding.
  • backusbattle
    Options
    I find romaine lettuce a good alternative w/ the wrap rolled in aluminum foil. Sorry I know it's veggies in a salad but it cuts the cals