Weird Weight Fluctuation

Hey, guys. So, I was kind of wanting to discuss this weird thing my weight did over the last 24 hours or so.

So, this week was going pretty normal. I weighed in on 02-11 at 225.3. Then I got down to 224.2 on 02-13. I had a bit of a cheat day and weighed in the same 224.2 on Saturday morning.

Well, I sometimes weigh myself at midnight right before I go to bed to see if I'm staying on track. I'm usually 2-3 lbs higher than I'll be in the morning. So, in an extremely surprising turn of events, I ended up lower! I weighed in at 223.5, I was kind of amazing and thought the scale must be wrong. So, I checked the accuracy with a 25lb weight I keep near by and it came up at 25.6. So, I jumped on again and it come to 223.3 which is crazy. I mean, the .0 could just be normal fluctuations. So, I kind of went to be thinking the scale was rigged or something, or I would wake up and weigh in at 223.

Well, surprised again, I woke up and weighed in at 221.8 (Sunday morning, 02/15) Not that I'm complaining. Just kind of crazy. I'm accustom to "gaining" a few lbs during the day due to water and such, but not the other way around :open_mouth:

Is anyone else familiar with this kind of sudden weight loss?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited February 2015
    Most people can and do fluctuate 2-3 Lbs throughout any given day and from day to day. This is why trends are more important than the actual number itself.

On average I weigh around 188...on Wednesday I was 186.4...just normal fluctuations.
  • Rhi2015
    Rhi2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Love it when I weigh less in the evenings! My scales would stay about the same every morning for a couple of days then out of no where 2-3 lbs at a time would disappear.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hi

Our weight on the scale is made up of the water in our bodies too...this, as you know, can fluctuate anything up to 10lbs due to various reasons: exercise, hormones, sodium.

Weight is also affected by the food in our gut, our clothing, time of day

The issue with weighing so frequently is, as you have seen, that the actual weight fluctuates madly over time for various reasons. You aren't losing fat ..but seeing water weight adjustments so it really doesn't matter

On top of this actual fat loss is not linear ...my own progress is series of stalls, increases and drops over time...I can easily be up 2lb over the week and then drop 4lbs the next so I use trendweight to give me an overall path over months

Try not to get too uptight about the scale numbers, map it over time eg weeks and months
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi

Our weight on the scale is made up of the water in our bodies too...this, as you know, can fluctuate anything up to 10lbs due to various reasons: exercise, hormones, sodium.

Weight is also affected by the food in our gut, our clothing, time of day

The issue with weighing so frequently is, as you have seen, that the actual weight fluctuates madly over time for various reasons. You aren't losing fat ..but seeing water weight adjustments so it really doesn't matter

On top of this actual fat loss is not linear ...my own progress is series of stalls, increases and drops over time...I can easily be up 2lb over the week and then drop 4lbs the next so I use trendweight to give me an overall path over months

Try not to get too uptight about the scale numbers, map it over time eg weeks and months

I pretty use to it and I don't really find concern if I go up and or stay down through out the day or week. In fact, usually don't weigh myself this often. Usually on a Friday or Saturday and then on Wednesday. I just thought it was pretty interesting. :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Does this help in any way?

Over a week -I'm supposed to be at maintenance
    trgn52bv4u4w.jpg

Over 3 months - the black dots are actual scale readings
    zqa37y4vn1i2.jpg