Lets start a support/accountability group!

Options
Hello from Sunny and "cold" Florida! I am looking to start a group for support and accountability and cheer-leading and help and fun and recipes and anything else we need on this journey. I want to give and receive all of the above and I am looking for people who want the same thing. For me, a strong support system is one of my biggest requirements. I don't really get what I need at home. My husband is great but, for one, its so easy for him to lose weight, he doesn't understand why it isn't for me. For two, I'm an emotional eater and lets be honest, I'm emotional because of whats going on at home. I don't really have friends. Being a SAHM makes it even harder to meet people. I want to connect with other people who are with me on this POSITIVE journey towards being HEALTHY. I want this to be a happy group to help hold each other up because we all know this is HARD WORK! So whose with me?!?!?!?

Feel free to add me.

Let's start with your story. Who are you? Telling us a bit of why you are here and what you hope to achieve. Tell us anything else you want us to know.

We are all here for the same goal: to be healthy!

Who am I? I am a SAHM to a sweet and hilarious 4 year old. "House elf" to my fire fighter husband (married 5 years, together 12 years). I was always average size until my family moved away and left me at 18. I double my weight within two years. Since then, I've gained a bit more cushion. My sister (who has a frame similar to mine, maybe a tiny bit thinner) is 105lbs. I think if I had not ever gained weight, I would be about 125-130 pounds. My goal is about 140. I am currently at 245-249 give or take. I've lost about 30 pounds by cutting calories. I have been doing some research about what foods I should avoid with my thyroid being sensitive and have discovered that I should be avoiding Carbs and Dairy.... MY TWO FAVORITE FOODS! I played around with Whole Food Plant Based Vegan for a while and I cannot deny I felt amazing doing that. I'm just not sure its the right thing for me right now. I'm aiming for a more balanced meal plan right now. Once I get my house and my HEAD on board, I do want to be a lot more strict about what I put into my body. I'm scared of health problems. I want to live to see my daughter grow up to be an awesome person. I might want to have another child. I'm 30 and I do feel like my clock is ticking, which is helping add pressure to lost this weight. Going through my first pregnancy obese was PURE HELL. Not on my personally, but doctors treated me like a PIECE OF GARBAGE, like I was unworthy of this pregnancy. It sucked. I actually lost a LOOOOOT of weight because I was making better food choices because it wasn't me I was feeding, it was her. If only I could have made that STICK. But stress from going back to a TERRIBLE job made me gain all the weight back in 7 months. EEK. But I want to move forward. I want to ride roller coasters and go to water parks and the beach. I want to be able to chase her around and teach her how to do a cart wheel or a hand stand. I want to have confidence for my husband again and not feel ashamed when I meet other fire fighters or their wives!

Addictions: fried food, baked goods, cheese on everything and eating out :)

Healthy foods I love: VEGGIES! (except mushrooms and eggplant, gag!) FRUIT! Love me some beans!!! Love making soups with lots of beans and veggies.

Exercises I enjoy: Zumba (at home), DDP Yoga, Kettlebells and weights. I miss rollerblading (calves are too big to fit in)

Replies

• Teefje3k
    Options
    Just this morning I wished there where a group like this!

Hi, I'm Gaby, 55 and at the moment 193lbs and want to go to 150. I lost about 61lbs last year. My whole live is a struggle against weight I dropped a lot, gained a lot and every time my eatinghabit got better. Slowly I became a very picky person regarding food.

I was born in Austria, married a Dutch guy, got one daughter, divorced that Dutch guy, married another Dutch guy and live with him on Aruba.
    I have diabetes for 30 something years and problems with my thyroid got 35 years. Hypertension is now under control. During the last years the damage from diabetes emerges.
    Function of the kidneys is less than 50%, I have severe nervedamage on hands and legs with lots of nervepain in the rightfoot. My eyes were operated twice because of problems with the retina and there are more operations coming. Reading got very difficult.
    All over my body Iam itching, but the pain of the damaged nerves is the most brutal. Normal painkillers don't work for nerves.
    I don't like telling all about my diseases, but Maybe someone gets scared enough to take care of his/her health early enough to prevent this all.

Just by luck I stumbled in to paleo, the diet I follow now. Not to the letter, but most of it. Because I'm picky with food for a long time it was not a real big step. I love veggies and soup with veggies. I love fruit and nuts. I don't need lots of meat but I like that too. I'm intolerant for dairy, that helps a lot. I really love fresh fish! I really love yoghurt too and all that stuff, but it makes me really sick.
    It's imported to me to eat healthy food. I kook everything from scratch. No artificial stuff, no unpronouncebal ingredients. No hidden sugar our salt. I try to get fair trades and all that stuff too. That's not easy on Aruba, not buying GMOs is imported to me.

My husband and I are crazy with dogs.we have at the moment three of them and two fosters.

Addictions: good Belgian chocolate, old-fashioned homemade food, fruit, fruit, fruit, Austrian homemade baked stuff, fried fish, Austrian sausage..........Just goes on. I love good food, sec.

Don't like every thing from goat and sheep, blue cheese, liquorice, ....

healthy foods I love: fish, fruits, lots of veggies except kale an celery. Not the root and not the stick.
    I love nuts and dried fruit.

Oh I really hope this group will work!

• Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Lucie, I'm 20 and currently 140lbs but at my height and with my family problems I'd like to lose 10-15lbs to decrease my risk of heart disease, diabetes and other weight related problems. I also have IBS-C and so I have the great joys of trying to balance the foods that are good on a diet and foods that are good for my bowels, which aren't always the same ones. This juggling is made harder by my depression, which is why I decided to join this group as my SO can only provide so much support as we live approximately 100miles away currently.

My current goals are to exercise more and to up my fruit and veg intake to 10 portions a day, and drink 2.5 litres of water a day. (lots of fruit and veg I know, if you have experienced IBS you will know that sometimes extremes are needed).

Who am I?
    I'm a zoology student from Yorkshire, UK, but living in Cornwall for my studies. I finish my university degree this year (SCARY!) when I intend to move back in with my boyfriend who had to move from Cornwall to Bristol for work last September and look for work in that area, with the potential to do a part-time masters in the future depending on my work prospects. I have a pet rabbit (Winston) who gives amazing cuddles for a 1.5kg ball of fur and ears.

Addictions: Pizza.

Healthy foods I love: almost all fruits and vegetables.

Exercise I like: Walking, hiking.
  • tarahochmuth14
    Options
    Hello there!

I'm Tara. I'm 35. And I have cancer (breast & thyroid), but on the down hill with treatment. I have one surgery left and can't have it until my bmi is lower (now 35, gotta be at 30). I put on weight from multiple meds, and the thyroid hormone I'm now on due to no longer having a thyroid due to that cancer. Our 2014 was tough. January, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, March with thyroid, chemo from Feb to July, my first husband the father of my two beautiful (7 & 13) children passed away from prostate cancer in April, and I divorced in July from an abusive situation I had 5 weeks of external radiation, and also had internal iodine radiation therapy. Right side mastectomy with lymphs and thyroid removed, and full hysterectomy. I think I missed something in the but I can't remember.

I'm normally very active. I play softball, volleyball, coach, league bowl. But with the cancer treatment side effects I became so sedentary the weight just seemed to pour on.

Long story short, I'm bouncing back and forth between 216 and 213. I've been walking my tredmil and doing 45 to 50 mins of a good/easy fat burning ab workout that doesn't kill my bad back.

Along with the new exercise I have totally revamped my diet. No more eating out, fried fatty foods, low carb/high protein, 1330 cal per day.

I have to get this weight off. I feel horrible, I have no clothes anymore, I can't stand to look at myself, I am embarrassed for my kids to be seen with me, and I need it to get my last surgery.

My problem is that I am divorced, with two children and have no accountability partner. So you can imagine my excitement when I found this group. My weakness is food! I love 2% milk, cereal, and chocolate. And when the kids are at school I get bored and I eat. If I have someone to help push me, remind me, and hold me accountable I think I could get it off.

I hope to hear back from you all soon and hope all of you are doing well on your roads tho getting healthy.

Tara
  • Msnatalieann
    Msnatalieann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Teefje3k wrote: »
    Just this morning I wished there where a group like this!

Hi, I'm Gaby, 55 and at the moment 193lbs and want to go to 150. I lost about 61lbs last year. My whole live is a struggle against weight I dropped a lot, gained a lot and every time my eatinghabit got better. Slowly I became a very picky person regarding food.

I was born in Austria, married a Dutch guy, got one daughter, divorced that Dutch guy, married another Dutch guy and live with him on Aruba.
    I have diabetes for 30 something years and problems with my thyroid got 35 years. Hypertension is now under control. During the last years the damage from diabetes emerges.
    Function of the kidneys is less than 50%, I have severe nervedamage on hands and legs with lots of nervepain in the rightfoot. My eyes were operated twice because of problems with the retina and there are more operations coming. Reading got very difficult.
    All over my body Iam itching, but the pain of the damaged nerves is the most brutal. Normal painkillers don't work for nerves.
    I don't like telling all about my diseases, but Maybe someone gets scared enough to take care of his/her health early enough to prevent this all.

Just by luck I stumbled in to paleo, the diet I follow now. Not to the letter, but most of it. Because I'm picky with food for a long time it was not a real big step. I love veggies and soup with veggies. I love fruit and nuts. I don't need lots of meat but I like that too. I'm intolerant for dairy, that helps a lot. I really love fresh fish! I really love yoghurt too and all that stuff, but it makes me really sick.
    It's imported to me to eat healthy food. I kook everything from scratch. No artificial stuff, no unpronouncebal ingredients. No hidden sugar our salt. I try to get fair trades and all that stuff too. That's not easy on Aruba, not buying GMOs is imported to me.

My husband and I are crazy with dogs.we have at the moment three of them and two fosters.

Addictions: good Belgian chocolate, old-fashioned homemade food, fruit, fruit, fruit, Austrian homemade baked stuff, fried fish, Austrian sausage..........Just goes on. I love good food, sec.

Don't like every thing from goat and sheep, blue cheese, liquorice, ....

healthy foods I love: fish, fruits, lots of veggies except kale an celery. Not the root and not the stick.
    I love nuts and dried fruit.

Oh I really hope this group will work!

i really appreciate you putting it all out there! its hard to do but it helps us all not feel alone. everyone is going thru something, and we all need support. welcome to the group!!
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    Hi I'm Lucie, I'm 20 and currently 140lbs but at my height and with my family problems I'd like to lose 10-15lbs to decrease my risk of heart disease, diabetes and other weight related problems. I also have IBS-C and so I have the great joys of trying to balance the foods that are good on a diet and foods that are good for my bowels, which aren't always the same ones. This juggling is made harder by my depression, which is why I decided to join this group as my SO can only provide so much support as we live approximately 100miles away currently.

My current goals are to exercise more and to up my fruit and veg intake to 10 portions a day, and drink 2.5 litres of water a day. (lots of fruit and veg I know, if you have experienced IBS you will know that sometimes extremes are needed).

Who am I?
    I'm a zoology student from Yorkshire, UK, but living in Cornwall for my studies. I finish my university degree this year (SCARY!) when I intend to move back in with my boyfriend who had to move from Cornwall to Bristol for work last September and look for work in that area, with the potential to do a part-time masters in the future depending on my work prospects. I have a pet rabbit (Winston) who gives amazing cuddles for a 1.5kg ball of fur and ears.

Addictions: Pizza.

Healthy foods I love: almost all fruits and vegetables.

Exercise I like: Walking, hiking.

I wish i had realized how important my health was when i saw it creeping up. i can relate to so much of your reply! stress is a WAIST killer! its the only reason the doctors could come up with on how i gained so much weight so fast. i am easily depressed and have been fighting it for years. I attending some counseling and it really did help BUT as soon as something happens, bring on the food. I want to stop being like that!!!! i have a family to live for and im really hoping to find some great people here to join me in this journey!!!! thank for joining! good luck!!!!
  • jonesm97
    jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Michele. I currently way 220 and my ultimate goal would be 135. Bahahaha I laughed too. I am 35 yrs old and live in Michigan. I have a huge problem with my weight. The whole big butt and thighs runs in my family. I hate it!!! I need to exercise and eat right. I moved to a new location a year ago and I only have a couple friends. One which uses this app. She is very supportive. She is really the only person I have right now.

My biggest downfall is I love food. Food is my go to for all. Lately I have been doing good. I am wishing and hoping for warmer weather so I can go out and walk at least. I nees to conquer this weight problem that I have. My mom tells me there's nothing I can do to fix it. I beg to differ and prove her wrong.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    Hello. My name is Michele. I currently way 220 and my ultimate goal would be 135. Bahahaha I laughed too. I am 35 yrs old and live in Michigan. I have a huge problem with my weight. The whole big butt and thighs runs in my family. I hate it!!! I need to exercise and eat right. I moved to a new location a year ago and I only have a couple friends. One which uses this app. She is very supportive. She is really the only person I have right now.

My biggest downfall is I love food. Food is my go to for all. Lately I have been doing good. I am wishing and hoping for warmer weather so I can go out and walk at least. I nees to conquer this weight problem that I have. My mom tells me there's nothing I can do to fix it. I beg to differ and prove her wrong.

YOU CAN FIX THIS! There's thousands of people of all shapes, sizes, ages and whatnot that have done this all over MFP. Food is a hard one for me too! Addiction runs in my family.... pill poppers, potheads, alcholics... for me, its food. We have to learn that food (unhealthy food) doesn't actually do anything to fix our problems, it only creates more. We have to find other ways to deal with our issues. Imagine if we were addicted to exercise! Welcome Welcome!
  • jonesm97
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »

YOU CAN FIX THIS! There's thousands of people of all shapes, sizes, ages and whatnot that have done this all over MFP. Food is a hard one for me too! Addiction runs in my family.... pill poppers, potheads, alcholics... for me, its food. We have to learn that food (unhealthy food) doesn't actually do anything to fix our problems, it only creates more. We have to find other ways to deal with our issues. Imagine if we were addicted to exercise! Welcome Welcome!

I hear ya. I love to drink too. My work keeps me from doing that frequently. Thank you for the acceptance. I am excited to see how this works. Hopefully I can turn one addiction to another. It is a lot easier to sit on the couch and eat than to go run a mile or 5. :) good luck to you as well. I am geared up for this so I think it will.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Options
    Michelle - you can totally reach 135 if you want to. It won't happen quicky, and it sure as hell won't be easy but you can definitely get there one pound at a time. Walking is really good exercise - you're less likely to give up something that is low impact and takes you nice places. :smiley:
  • jonesm97
    Options
    Michelle - you can totally reach 135 if you want to. It won't happen quicky, and it sure as hell won't be easy but you can definitely get there one pound at a time. Walking is really good exercise - you're less likely to give up something that is low impact and takes you nice places. :smiley:

Thank you. I am going to try. I know there will be bad days, good days, and days I will just want to quit. I have a goal and I want to succeed. I am looking forward to see this accomplishment. :)
  • datkangel
    datkangel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello ,my name is letchmiartemis , i keep on trying to lose weight n i m still trying , i dun wan to give up , at the same time i wish i knw y i cnt lose much weight .
    I do hav some hormone imbalance going on , on n off taking hormone tablets. I just started running recently to build up my stamina . Hopefully everything goes well.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    So what's everyone's goal for this week? Mine is to work out 4 times this week.
  • jonesm97
    Options
    Mine is to work out three days this week. Also, start eating more salads. Yum!!!!
  • Lulufifi1994
    Options
    Mine is to drink a green smoothie every day this week. I'm going to go for a walk every day if I can but I have so much uni work this week I think that I probably won't be able to every day so I'm setting realistic goals.
  • dawnq
    dawnq Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi all! I am not new to MFP, but I am new to actually DOING something. I've had the app on my phone for a while and it didn't do anything for me ;) Now my plan is to USE it and see how I do.
    I have been over weight as long add I can remember. I am an emotional eater also. I have realized this year that one thing I tend to do EVERY week is binge eat after my husband goes to sleep on Sunday afternoon. --We are truck drivers and we leave for work Monday morning at 1:00am. We live in the truck until Saturday morning at 1:00am.--As soon as he goes to bed, I head for the kitchen. And I have usually just eaten "supper" with him! So, starting next Sunday I am joining a class called Holy Yoga. It lasts one hour for 6 weeks. I have 85 lbs left to lose. I need the accountability & support of this group.
    This week my goal is to drink more water. I don't like water. .but I will try to drink. Problem is, as a truck driver. .liquid in means liquid out....deep sigh...
  • Lulufifi1994
    Options
    Shewee and a bottle. ;) remember, while water is probably the best liquid to drink, teas on their own (no milk or sugar) have pretty much the same number of calories, so maybe finding a herbal tea or black tea you can drink straight would be the way forward. It's good that you've found a way to distract yourself from the kitchen AND get some exercise in, multi-tasking. :) Welcome to the group. xx
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    dawnq wrote: »
    Hi all! I am not new to MFP, but I am new to actually DOING something. I've had the app on my phone for a while and it didn't do anything for me ;) Now my plan is to USE it and see how I do.
    I have been over weight as long add I can remember. I am an emotional eater also. I have realized this year that one thing I tend to do EVERY week is binge eat after my husband goes to sleep on Sunday afternoon. --We are truck drivers and we leave for work Monday morning at 1:00am. We live in the truck until Saturday morning at 1:00am.--As soon as he goes to bed, I head for the kitchen. And I have usually just eaten "supper" with him! So, starting next Sunday I am joining a class called Holy Yoga. It lasts one hour for 6 weeks. I have 85 lbs left to lose. I need the accountability & support of this group.
    This week my goal is to drink more water. I don't like water. .but I will try to drink. Problem is, as a truck driver. .liquid in means liquid out....deep sigh...

My dad was a truck driver so I can relate to those potty issues! I have heard that after a while of drinking lots if water that your body gets used to it and you won't have to go every ten minutes like you do in the beginning. Hope that's true! Sometimes that rest area or exit with amenities is just a hair too far away!
  • ffallings
    ffallings Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would love to be a part of this geoup. I am a SAHM of a 2 year old and a 9 month old. i gained a good bit of weight with back to back pregnancies. i am 36 and finished having babies, and now I would loke to focus on getting back fit and healthy. I want to set a good example for my children, especially my daughter. I would like to lose about 35ish pounds. I would love to be a part of a group of positive and supportive people with the goal of becoming healthy and fit.