volume eaters.....favorite high volume but low cal snack or meal?

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
Currently my favorite is a bag (sometimes 2) of frozen cauliflower topped with a 70 calorie serving of yogurt ranch and hot sauce (lots!).

Just looking for other ideas. =)

Replies

• mkakids
    Options
    If im craving crunchy, I can easily eat a pound of fresh green beans, raw. Sometimes dipped in mustard. Yum!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My dinner is around 400 calories: 6 oz of ground turkey mixed with 50 grams of onion, clove of garlic, 150 grams of zucchini and squash each, 50-75 grams of tomato, 50 grams of mushroom, cup or two of spinach, with chipotle hot sauce. It's a stupid amount of food for the calorie count.

If I want some pasta or black beans in it, I'll take the turkey serving down to 4 ounces.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Speaking of green beans - they are awesome baked with some cayenne and salt or whatever heat you like. I haven't tried it with hot sauce. Lots of veggie strips you can do that with

If you like mushrooms, try them sliced, salted and any seasoning you might like, then bake until they get kind of crisp.
  • mkakids
    Options
    ^^^ sounds yummy. I love roasted broccoli and cauliflower, but never thought of other veg!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Kale.... no oil just cooked on a low heat until slightly crispy. Top a bit of salt. I easily eat a whole bag
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I take a piece of leaf lettuce and on it I put deli meat (usually turkey), sprouts and miracle whip (or whatever condiment really). Roll it up like a taco. I usually end up eating about 8 ounces of meat which turns into about half the head of lettuce for under 500 calories. If you go really light on the miracle whip it is considerably less. I've done this with ground beef and taco seasoning as well. Basically tacos with no tortilla.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Either a big spinach salad or a container of deli turkey can work pretty well depending on your macro/micro needs.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My dinner is around 400 calories: 6 oz of ground turkey mixed with 50 grams of onion, clove of garlic, 150 grams of zucchini and squash each, 50-75 grams of tomato, 50 grams of mushroom, cup or two of spinach, with chipotle hot sauce. It's a stupid amount of food for the calorie count.

If I want some pasta or black beans in it, I'll take the turkey serving down to 4 ounces.

Sounds SO good! Trying it!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do Pacific Organic Black Bean Soup, add 85 grams any lean beef (usually thin sliced bottom round steak) and then I start adding in 100 grams of whatever veggies sound good, look good, have on hand that needs to be eaten soon. The combos are endless and even if I eat the ENTIRE thing, no matter how much it makes, it's always less than 400 calories.
  • twinzmom172
    twinzmom172 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm normally a carnivore! But last night I made a simple vegetarian chili - 1 cup was 214 calories - 2 cups at just over 400 cals would stuff you and still be do-able calorie wize.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are great (I did taco style as well, ground beef with taco seasoning, salsa, bit of cheese).

I have a lot of grilled chicken breast or turkey or lean beef burger, or pork chop with a bag of frozen veggies and some potato or mashed cauliflower on the side. I love cauliflower, you can have a ridiculous amount of it for low calories - mashed with a bit of cream cheese, in soup with leeks and onions (a bowl ends up like 100 calories, if that), or I made some fried cauliflower 'rice' earlier (the skinnytaste recipe), I had a HUGE amount (500g worth) for 260 calories.

Or when Acme has those 12oz bags of fresh veggies on sale for $1, I was just steaming them in the microwave and sprinkling some grated parmesan and a bit of butter on it. Delicious.

Or there's always egg whites omelets (ok typically if I don't use whole eggs it ends up scrambled here). I love it with feta, tomatoes and spinach, and you can add some ham for extra protein too.

I made a bolognese the other day, just mixed a jar of tomato sauce with ground turkey and onions, with spaghetti squash it was incredible and pretty low calories (I actually tried it on pasta first, but it was better with the squash!). I'm guessing you could cut the calories down by just cooking it yourself with tomatoes instead of jar sauce.

Taco salad is great too - sautee some onions and peppers, put on lettuce with some taco meat and salsa (and you can add rice, beans, avocado and cheese if you have the extra calories too).

For a quick snack nothing beats raw carrots for me.

I'm roasting turnips, carrots and broccoli tonight, that should be pretty low cal too, with some roasted chicken breast.

I'll be watching this thread! I need huge meals to be satisfied too...

ETA: cucumber sandwiches. I've tried them and the stuff inside kept sliding out, but I know some people eat them... And basic tomatoes/red onions/cucumber/lettuce salad. I just use vinegar and a bit of Dijon mustard as dressing so it's very low calories.
  • mkakids
    Options
    ^^^^For cucumber sandwhiches...cut a cuke length wise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Put your filling of choice in there and it wont slide out!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Some weeks I make a huge salad consisting of romaine, bell peppers, boiled beet slices, carrots, red cabbage, avocado, and low fat dressing. Tastes great, very filling and the heaviest item is the avo. I will eat this for dinner every night. If I'm pretty hungry I'll add an ounce of walnuts.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    huge salads filled with things like spinach , romaine, squash, zucchini, bell peppers, beets, Brussels sprouts!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Bag of broccoli slaw, microwaved for 3-3:30 on high. (Just pop the bag in there, unopened.) Top with cottage cheese, or with canned tomato sauce+Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, garlic) and Boca/Moringstar "meatless" crumbles.

Stir-fry veggies and tofu. Sauce of choice.

Spaghetti squash and cottage cheese.

Spaghetti squash layered with chili powder and (sorry) lowfat shredded cheese or regular shredded Parmesan.

Sliced jicama
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Ants on a log, but with laughing cow cheese instead of peanut butter. 100 calories for 100g of celery, 15g of raisins, and one laughing cow wedge.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. I eat it plain. Boring, but still tasty.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

me too yummie but i add Kernels seasoning and butter spray
    Only a couple of calories more :)

76145189.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I bought a bunch of different seasonings, cajun, morrocan, italian etc and I give my popcorn a light spray with olive oil then season it. Very tasty!