Lifting weights.

Options
Ok so i normaly go to the gym 4/5 times a week, but getting bored with my usual routine treadmill/elliptical/rowing. Decided its time to start lifting
How many times per week lifting? How many times per week cardio.
Ive got 13lb left to loose before my holiday in july.
Im not too concerned about weight my main goal is to see my body change im currently, 9st 1. 5ft 1 and im 25.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Follow one of the existing programmes...this is a good one http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There are others though
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5, as linked above. It has a program for 3days/wk. The other days you can do cardio or take a rest day.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ^What she said.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why not do both?

Start with some cardio and then some lifting.

Work on different muscle groups each day so like arms, then shoulder and back, legs etc so that each muscles group gets a break while your working on something else.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Follow one of the existing programmes...this is a good one http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

There are others though

Yep
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i lift 5 days a week.. a different muscle group per day.. this keeps me in the gym daily.. each workout last me about 45 min. not recommened for beginners however..
    after each wieght lifting session i try to get in 1-20 minutes of cardio to cool down
    dont forget building muscle increases your metabolism..
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    agree with stronglifts... there is even a group here called stronglifts 5x5 for woman !
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I am following strong lifts 5x5 again (pre baby and now post baby). I generally do cardio all 5 days...less intensity on sl days than non lifting days.

• CaoimheMariexo
    CaoimheMariexo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think the Stronglifts 5x5 program would be great also. Do it like on Mon-Wed-Fri. And also cardio as much as you like, 6 days a week is what I do and have Sunday for rest!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Just lift. So many awesome routines and programs you can research what your specific goals are and decide on how much time you want to spend in the gym, how often etc. You really cant go wrong by lifting, but certainly want to be efficient and enjoy it :)
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "Just lift" --
    Be fussy about your form. A PT would be ideal; otherwise you'd better watch quality videos closely.
    I never thought I would enjoy lifting, but I do!