Challenges with blood sugar issues, losing weight and exercise.

I'm in my mid 50's and have pre-diabetes. Have been trying to lose 10-15 lbs for a while, per the advice of my doctor to try to bring the pre-diabetes into control. A few months ago, I started increasing my bicycling. I also do strength workouts 1 - 2x a week. I started tracking again on MFP a week ago. As my cycling miles go up, my hunger has been going extreme - just can't get enough to eat. And, often feel shaky. I also have been feeling a lack of energy. I'm going up a small amount of miles every couple of weeks or so, so I don't think it's overtraining. It's kind of a catch-22. Are there any tips for people with blood sugar issues that are trying to exercise more and create a slight calorie deficit?

Note: a few months ago I was doing less endurance exercise and more weight lifting and intervals. Didn't see to be as hungry then, but was not tracking calories and didn't lose weight.

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I'm not sure how much will be relevant for you, I'm hypoglycemic and have low baseline glucose numbers. However exercising can cause my sugars to crash. For me I drink a protein shake (25 grams of protein), with a banana and mixed fruit about 25-30 minutes before working out. I'm not sure what you would need as far as carbs, but protein helps keep your blood sugar from crashing. Personally I would talk to your endocrinologist about it.
  • Sometimes diabetics are hungry when their sugar is high, because their body can't get energy from it due to lack of insulin. I would start tracking your blood sugars along with exercise and diet, then you can figure out your optimum level of carbs to feel your best.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    How long are your cycling sessions? Short sessions are less likely to affect appetite and blood sugar. You can do them more frequently to compensate for the shorter duration.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    How many calories are you eating daily? What is your carb goal?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Hunger signals are sent when your blood sugars start getting low. You use your sugars even more when you exercise compared to normal (therefore, your blood sugars dip even further making you even more ravenous).

You should look into a lower GI diet to control the sharp upticks and downward dips in your blood sugars. Keeping in mind that you want that calorie deficit, you only now need to modify how your blood sugars react to what you're eating. The simple way to go about this is never eat a purely carb meal or drink. At most have 1/3 of the calories of whatever you're consuming be carbs, and the rest should be balanced between protein and fats.

This should apply even when you plan on working out. Try lowering your overall carb consumption to at most 35% of your calories for the day. If you can handle the withdrawal at a lower percentage, that should be the target. Keep track of your calories in for each day, but you should be mindful of your carbs and simple sugars as well.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Definitely start tracking your blood sugar readings. My sugar runs higher but I've still been known to crash after working out. You might try adding some more fat to your diet, as well as lots of low carb/high volume veggies.
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    My calorie goal is 2450. My strategy is to ingest the number of calories daily that is estimated for me to "break even" and not gain nor lose if I don't exercise. And, then use the exercise to create the calorie deficit on top of that. After a few more days of tracking calories, hunger and exercise levels, I should have a better picture.

Thanks for the suggestion, I plan to start doing regular blood sugar readings again to see what is going on during those times when I'm starving.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    What kinds of carbs are you eating and what is your daily goal in grams?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Have you seen a dietician for advise? As others have asked, what are your calorie and carb goals? Often people with insulin resistance do better lowering carbs and lots of people find that increasing their proportion of protein and fat some can help them stay more consistently satisfied without those feelings like you are crashing or need to eat immediately.

I don't have insulin issues, but even so making sure that I ate protein and fat as well as carbs in a more equal proportion at each meal made a huge difference in my energy level being consistent and me being less likely to be hungry, almost immediately. I recommend it as something to try.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I'm not sure how much you are riding, and I don't have your problem, but I rarely ride without Gatorade in at least one of my water bottles. I drink from it about every four or five miles. Before I started doing that, I had a few miserable rides.
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Calorie goal is 2450. My carb goal is 30-40 gms per meal. I eat protein, fat and fiber with most meals.