Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein Intake

joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask to get opinion.

Today we made some chili that had dark red kidney beans in it etc....anyway, long story short, it had about 83g of protein in 1.5 cups of it. That put me in the realms of about 163g of protein today. I'm 5'9, and about 173lbs, lean body mass of 143 (around there anyway).

I'm definitely not done eating today, so I'm sure my protein will go up to around 200g for one day.

So...body just going to dump the protein it doesn't use or possible adverse effects to weight loss? I'm usually right on goal with my macros...except valentines day yesterday...I didn't log everything lol.

Replies

• HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    1 cup of red kidney beans has 16g of protein.
  • It won't hurt you to go over, your body only processes a certain amount of protein, so what's not used will just be processed into waste.
  • NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    Your body can turn excess protein into glucose, a process called gluconeogenisis. Excess glucose can trigger an insulin response, insulin stores excess glucose as body fat.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    It is very, very difficult to "overdose" on protein. You'd have to legitimately be spooning protein powder all day. Don't even think about or worry about going over. The only problem would be the excess calories it causes.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Your body can turn excess protein into glucose, a process called gluconeogenisis. Excess glucose can trigger an insulin response, insulin stores excess glucose as body fat.

I figure if that's an everyday thing it would do that, not once in....ever.

Thanks folks. I figured it would be processed into waste, but figured I'd ask....I'll probably hit about 200g today...maybe....but it'll all be burned off at least in my workout tomorrow lol.