Putting yourself on the list

Options
amyoliverhoyles
amyoliverhoyles Posts: 208 Member
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
For such a long time I've been so busy taking care of my husband and kids and now soon to be a grandma. I feel like I have been put on the back burner while I'm busy being a mom, wife, cook, chauffeur, friend, and a coach. If I look at the list of priorities in my life. I realize that I'm not even on the list. This journey for me is about putting myself on the list and knowing it's ok to spend time on myself and that I deserve it. I deserve to take an hour out of a day to workout. That's only 4% of my day. I'am looking for people who are on the same journey. So add as a friend if you like. I am officially on the list

Replies

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You can't look after anyone else if you are sick or dead. Go for it!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Amen sister. I think you have a few kindred souls here. I know I am one of them. I already have two grandkids and a four year old (going on 20) daughter to keep up with. She was a late in life baby so that was me starting all over and having to learn the hard way she has wwaaayyy more energy than I do. This journey for me is helping me to be around for the young ones and feeling better than I have in a long time.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. It's nice to know that other people feel the same as me.
  • steelerfan1967
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have 2 jobs and a 14 yr old thats in every sport u can think of so im a taxi as well. My wife amd i are on here and we are good motivators. If u add me ill accept. Im on here every day ☺️
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have 2 jobs and a 14 yr old thats in every sport u can think of so im a taxi as well. My wife amd i are on here and we are good motivators. If u add me ill accept. Im on here every day ☺️

Thanks that's awesome, I'll add you for sure.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. I never do anything for myself. I work a full time job. I am a single mother of three. My oldest works so I am constantly driving her back and forth to work. I probably spend a good 2 hours in the car every day. Sadly that is my me time. I leave the house at 6:45 and don't get back until after 5. I don't know when people find the time to spend 2 hours on exercise. There is no way I could find that much time. I have a hard time finding 20 minutes.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    I know. I work 12 hours shifts and am out of the house at 5 am and not back until 8 pm some nights. I get up early and work out but them I'm up at 4 and I'm so exhausted. I have a fairly physical job so I'm wiped by bed time. Lol, I just keep plugging away. I'll get there eventually. ☺️
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    The last couple of weeks have been going amazing for me. I'am down 10 lbs. and really feel like I'm hitting my stride.This past weekend I got to be in the delivery room for my great nephew to be born and it was amazing. It got me super excited for my own grandchild to come, and motivates me more to be living a healthy lifestyle before he/she gets here.
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else, I have my husband and 17 year old son, work full time 50 plus hours a week and of course maintain the house and everything else in our lives. I have MFP friends that burn almost 2000 cal a day on all these extreme cardio programs for hours throughout the day and I have no idea how they have the time or energy. I'm like Woo Hoo I burned 56 calories on the treadmill at 5 am for 10 minutes. I need to eek out some me time for fitness.
  • iluvaples
    iluvaples Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group and don't have have any friends yet. I am in the middle of a divorce so to deal with that, it has pushed me to put myself on "The/ My List" too. I need to lose 30 more lbs. Ive lost 30 already since Sept 21, 2014 (when I found out the jerk of a husband of 20 years, was having an affair for a year!). I was a fitbit that I love and try to get my goals in and go to the gym about 6 days a week and with a trainer 2 of those days a week.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    I have my eating on track,but my exercise not so much. I joined a fitness group called 21 and done. It starts tomorrow, so I'm really looking forward to kicking my exercise into high gear. I'm also signed up for a 60 minute step Zumba class starting at the end of march. So at least i know I'm going in the right direction. Baby steps, I didn't gain all this weight overnight and I know it will take time to come off. I'm down 13 pounds in three weeks and really happy with that. I should have put myself on the list long ago!!!
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    Well yesterday was a complete right off. Stayed on the couch all day watching movies and eating. Ughhhh.... I ate like double calories. It's the first time I've had a really bad eating day since I started back to my fitness pal. Frustrating, but back on track today. What do other people do when you get cravings like this. I'm so guilty of Boredom eating, and I always try to stay busy so this doesn't happen, but everything has been so crazy in my life lately I just wanted a p.j day in the couch. Back on track today, but still mad at myself for yesterday.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    The boredom eating can be frustrating. Sometimes, I catch myself in the middle of it before I realize what I am doing. My exercise is almost non existent, so I need to get that started. At this point, I am planning to use some time after work to at least go hit a treadmill or elliptical trainer for a bit before I pick up my daughter. I haven't had the best eating plan in place the last few days either, but will get back on that track as well. All we can do is try to put ourselves on the list of things that absolutely need to be taken care of. We love our families, but we need to realize that they can support us too by finding ways to help us meet our goals.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    I totally agree, I just finished a 5.5 km walk. Feel great about that.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    I had a ruff easter, way to much overeating. But have been back on track so far this week. The lesson I learned was that I feel like crap now when I eat to much, it's amazing how much my habits have changed since I've started MFP. On ward and forward. I will get to my goal.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The best way to care for others is to give them the best of yourself, which you can't do if you're not taking care of yourself.
  • barbiereynolds701
    barbiereynolds701 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im on the list too! :-) tAking time for me makes me a better mom/wife. I have more patience and my kids respect that time...well....as good as they can!
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    I've been on track and so good this week, today was weigh in day and only down 0.9. i know its a loss, but was hoping for so much more. I can't seem to get under the 160. Hopefully next week, gonna amp up my exercise and see if that helps.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Carer for my fiancée, work in student support and I'm the branch sec/EO for our union, so I don't really have time for much more than staying functional and keeping up with my degrees.
  • amyoliverhoyles
    Options
    Carer for my fiancée, work in student support and I'm the branch sec/EO for our union, so I don't really have time for much more than staying functional and keeping up with my degrees.

Sounds like you have a busy life, Me as well. Its always been hard to take time for myself. But the more i do it, the more i realize i need it. Deathninja82 put yourself on the list, you are important!!!