Hypertension and other nasty things

Options
Hi all

Back in November, I started C25k and graduated early this month. I wasn't running anything like 5k, and running very slow, but got pretty close to 4k within 30 mins and I was loving it. Then I had an entirely random and voluntary occupational health screening in early Feb. My blood pressure was found to be 180/95. A couple of weeks later it is 205/110. Lots of tests later and there is no underlying cause, my ECG was normal and all my blood results and organ functions are entirely normal, apart from my iron/B12 count which is very low (but unconnected to the bp). My doc has put it down to genetics and my age, as any lifestyle factors only account for 15% of the figures.

So I am on two drugs for the hypertension and iron supplements, which were not working initially but hopefully will now be. My doctor has put a stop to exercise which raises my heart beat to over 120 which is quite frankly ridiculous and frustrating. I now have a fitbit heart rate monitor and tested it today whilst out. My pulse rises to 140 when running, which of course is when I have to then walk.

My question is this, is there ANY running that I could do at the moment? Is there any good in doing some running/walking, sending my pulse up and then bringing it down again? I will of course check out any opinions given here with the doc.

I'm 44 years old, female, and I am 187 pounds (13 st 5). I'm 5'3 and want to lose another 60 pounds or so. I am nearly half way through my weight loss journey.

Thanks!

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone here will disagree with your doctor. Maybe you should stick with walking while the weight drops. The hypertension may not be a life sentence and will self correct with weight loss.
  • poshtigress
    poshtigress Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As I said above, it won't self correct with weight loss, as lifestyle factors only account for 15% of the figures :) The drugs will correct it.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    try going for a sleep test.. you may have sleep apnea.. wich could increase BP....
    symptoms of sleep apnea
    snoring, tiredness, high blood pressure, forgetfullness, large neck, overwieght...
    i went to my doctor a bit ago, found high blood pressure, first thing they did was send me for a sleep study.. i had no idea i was as bad as i was.. hopefully, now that im under treatment, my bp will come back down..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Seems pretty strange for BP to rise 25 points in 2 weeks due to genetics. Anyway.. strength training might not get your HR as high, since you can take regular breaks. Lots of people have lost weight solely by lifting + calorie restriction.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Swimming raises your heart rate less than equivalent land-mammal exercises. :) ETA: That is, for the same amount of perceived effort. (Obviously you can get a nice kick by swimming really really hard!) Definitely ask your doctor to be sure it's safe, though!