Gaining muscle for Lent

Options
Lent starts on Wednesday and I am choosing to focus on my goals I have been asking questions about all along. I am going to focus on gaining muscle and eating more. I went to the iifym site and figured out some numbers. They seem high but my calorie goal is going to be 1900-1700 with 150-120g of carbs, 140-180g of protein, and 70g-50g of fat. When it comes to cardio, I am going to try to cut it down to 5 times a week and shorten the time. I am also going to try to do different types like using the bike instead of running all of the time. I just want to start with these numbers and if I see progress after the 40 days, I will increase my calories. I am also going to do 5 days of heavy lifting, split days. Hopefully I see progress and will keep building muscle for awhile and eventually go through a cutting phase to cut fat. Any thoughts? Its just a start. I know a girl who has lost weight yet put on muscle eating probably around the same amount of calories. I am just taking baby steps and starting to eat more and change my mentality. Please keep all feedback positive!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your Lent seems different than the one I experienced in Catholic school
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Yeah. I thought lent was when you..gave up things that tend to be a vice for you? I don't know. Not catholic.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

LOL
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Lent starts on Wednesday and I am choosing to focus on my goals I have been asking questions about all along. I am going to focus on gaining muscle and eating more. I went to the iifym site and figured out some numbers. They seem high but my calorie goal is going to be 1900-1700 with 150-120g of carbs, 140-180g of protein, and 70g-50g of fat. When it comes to cardio, I am going to try to cut it down to 5 times a week and shorten the time. I am also going to try to do different types like using the bike instead of running all of the time. I just want to start with these numbers and if I see progress after the 40 days, I will increase my calories. I am also going to do 5 days of heavy lifting, split days. Hopefully I see progress and will keep building muscle for awhile and eventually go through a cutting phase to cut fat. Any thoughts? Its just a start. I know a girl who has lost weight yet put on muscle eating probably around the same amount of calories. I am just taking baby steps and starting to eat more and change my mentality. Please keep all feedback positive!

I don't think you've provided enough information to get really detailed -- for example we don't know your stats so it's impossible to comment on your calorie and macronutrient intake.

I don't know that you need to be doing 5 lifting days and 5 cardio days per week and I'd additionally like to know what your current training program is/was prior to you moving to this new program.

I'd be curious if you have a program picked out or are you going to design your own?
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Again, seriously?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Breaking ball bats for Jesus
    powerteam.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah. I thought lent was when you..gave up things that tend to be a vice for you? I don't know. Not catholic.

That's pretty much what Lent is, yeah. I'm not really sure what this has to do with Lent. OP going by your other threads I think you just need to pick something and stick to it consistently.

maybe Episcopalionism? Or even Judaeism?
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lent can be giving up something or doing something extra. There are other religious things i am doing extra as well as giving up shopping for extra items and only having one cheat meal instead of two or three during the weekends.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    krknobbe10 wrote: »

I don't think you've provided enough information to get really detailed -- for example we don't know your stats so it's impossible to comment on your calorie and macronutrient intake.

I don't know that you need to be doing 5 lifting days and 5 cardio days per week and I'd additionally like to know what your current training program is/was prior to you moving to this new program.

I'd be curious if you have a program picked out or are you going to design your own?

As of now i am doing 4 days of lifting and cardio 6 times. I am following a program like one my friend does n a trainer designed it for her.
    Im 5'6 n 22yr old n about 136lbs but my weight is different every day.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscles and lose fat at the same time. You either need to be in a calorie surplus (build muscles) or a calorie deficit (lose fat). Why do you do that much cardio?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscles and lose fat at the same time. You either need to be in a calorie surplus (build muscles) or a calorie deficit (lose fat). Why do you do that much cardio?

@ 5' 6" and 136 lbs the OP needs to cut way back on the cardio if she's gonna put on any muscle on that frame. A five day a week split routine also sounds like kind of overkill for a newb -- I think it wouldn't give enough recovery time between lifts, but without details, hard to tell. Calorie intake and macros look OK for a lifting unless the cardio burns off all the surplus.