Fish for beginners

Options

Replies

• Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I buy the individually vacuum packed frozen tilapia and salmon fillets. I take them out of the freezer but leave them in their individual packaging, then I drop them in water to thaw really quickly. I use my small George Foreman grill, it takes about 4 minutes to cook one fillet. Sometimes I squeeze lemon juice on it while it is cooking. That is the fastest, simplest way I have found to have a piece of fish for lunch quickly.

But if I have time and I am making it for dinner. I really love Rachael Ray's tilapia recipe.

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1056
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner fish eater too... beginner seafoodie, actually. So beginner I haven't really begun yet :( Though I have tried Tilapia and it was pretty easy- we baked it with a tandoori style marinade (yogurt with some indian spices- you can buy tandoori spice mix). It picked up the flavours very well- we couldnt' even really taste that "fish taste".
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love fish but have always been nervous to try making it. I'm excited to try now! :)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love fish, but the rest of my family doesn't. I also have a really busy schedule, so sometimes its difficult to wait 20+ minutes for fish to cook. I discovered something wonderful. I can make a whole meal in under 10 minutes, including prep. All you need are Ziploc Zip'n'Steam bags (or Glad, but I think they stopped making them), frozen veggies, frozen fish, and seasonings.

1. Open up the steamer bag.
    2. Place frozen fish flat in bag. Season as desired.
    3. Place frozen veggies on top of fish. Season as desired.
    4. Microwave for 4-6 minutes.

Fish is ready when flaky or 165 degrees.

Not only is this fast and easy, its probably the healthiest way to prepare fish. No frying or oil required. The steam kinda infuses the fish with the flavors from the herbs. I usually use lemon pepper or Tone's rosemary garlic.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bump...loveee fish
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, Swai, Haddock are all good. I also buy the individual frozen filets, thaw in the fridge overnight and they are ready to go for making dinner. Depending on the thickness of the filet, you may only need to cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Garlic, lemon, shallots, thyme sauteed in olive oil, then add salt and peppered fish. Best cooking tip for pan cooking is to leave it alone for the 5 minutes, and only flip once or it will fall apart.

I use pre-cooked salad size shrimp, thawed but still cold for salads. I get raw, deveined, tail-off shrimp for everything else. It's more expensive pre-cleaned, but less time-consuming. I saute it for stir fry or pasta, seasoned depending on what I'm using it for. Or you can put in on skewers under the broiler for a couple minutes and baste with BBQ sauce and throw it on a sandwich with coleslaw...yum!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Easy to make salmon recipe, but you need time to marinate.
    - - -

Pepper-Crusted Maple-Soy Glazed Salmon
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/pepper-crusted-maple-glazed-salmon-recipe/index.html

- - -

Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen Sea Best Tilapia and Salmon....It is wrapped individually in a resealable bag and usually comes with 4-6 pieces. It thaws extremely quick and is easy to fix...i throw it on the stove and melt just a tab of butter and add a little garlic salt.....simple, easy, and healthy....
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do not know where you live, but where I live salmon is fairly cheap. Here's a 20-minute recipe:

Get a 1-2 pound salmon filet and some pineapple chunks (preferably fresh pineapple you cut up yourself, but not necessary).
    Take a 1/4 cup of maple syrup and stir in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
    Place the fish and the chunks on the broiler pan, and brush them with the syrup.
    Turn the oven broiler on to 425-450 degrees F, put the rack in the top position, and broil the fish and pineapple for 8-11 minutes, brushing them again with the syrup halfway through.
    Serve with rice.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe for tilapia or sole, I add a little bit of chili powder in the sauce for some kick.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/broiled-fish-with-summer-grape-tomato.html

For salmon, this recipe has been my go-to lately:
    1/4 tsp of tumeric, cumin, chili powder, curry powder mixed with a tsp of olive oil. Spread on top of salmon (fresh or defrosted) and bake for about 20-25min at 400C.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon from Costco. It comes individually packed and you can get it either plain or already marinated. Really good and no heavy fish flavour. ~
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This looks both amazing and simple. If I weren't on keto I'd be cooking this for myself in a heartbeat lol.

It's Herb-Crusted Fish Fillets (Gordon Ramsay makes it look so easy /sigh I could watch that man cook all day lol)

http://youtu.be/7ZfPBIxmg38
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump I need to eat more fish!
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, although I tried cooking fish once and it turned out so mushy that I gagged when I tried it. I really want to cook GOOD fish lol. My hubby likes fish, but I fear I am going to make the same mistakes all the time. Anyone have a fool proof one?
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The only good fish is battered, deep fried and smothered in tartar sauce!:devil:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If it's a flaky white fish, I like it either coated in a little flour and fried in olive oil or steamed with some ginger. Stuff like Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Salmon, etc I like to just season and throw on the grill. Seasons vary and I don't really follow a ton of recipes. I have tried some good baked salmon recipes...my favorite was baked with tomatoes, onions, and kalamata olives...that was pretty good. Otherwise I just like to keep it pretty simple and serve it up with a side of yumminess.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I buy the individually vacuum packed frozen tilapia and salmon fillets
    . I take them out of the freezer but leave them in their individual packaging, then I drop them in water to thaw really quickly.

ditto on all the posts here.
    the indy pack froz fish are really convenient to thaw in water, then open the vac seal, and cook as listed in all these posts here.
    Very easy.
    Once you do a couple times, it seems easy.

I like to put in foil pack with lots of butter and paprika or whatever seasoning.
    Put in toaster-oven that turns off automatically when the timer is done; don't have to babysit it cooking
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!