going nuts on nutrition goals

Options
Who on here follows to a T all the nutrition goals I find it hard to meet each goal on like carbs or protein and still stay on track with my calories

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to be insane about it - that was my leanest, at 145 lbs. Eventually, I decided I liked real life, and loosened up.

I now walk around at 155, cut to 150 for tournaments (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), and am much happier, although I now lack the atlas belt lines.

I basically try my best to hit my protein goals, don't care about carb/fat ratios, and leave MFP on as if I'm cutting. I make sure my main meals stay under that, and whatever my day-to-day snacks/cheating is generally brings me up to maintenance.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat should be looked at as minimum requirements, its ok to go over on them
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get your protein -- that is number 1
    Try to get your fats -- that is number 2
    You can disregard carbs.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you're trying to lose weight, just keep it simple and just keep the calories under target. Until you have that under control, there's not point in worrying about individual macros.

Even after hitting my weight loss goal, I still don't worry about any macro other than protein (and that simply because I'm trying to gain muscle via weightlifting), and occasionally carbs (when I'm doing a lot of bike riding or skiing and don't want to be run down the next day).
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone was really stressing over all of it
  • yogalinda253
    yogalinda253 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a new vegetarian and having trouble with getting enough protein.
    Also this is my first week I have been weighing myself to often. I did lose 1.3 lbs this week but 5 days in I had lost 3. Feel a little sad. I know it's not the numbers only and I do feel good.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lighten up. You're going to drive yourself crazy if you try to hit everything 100% spot on.

A few grams over or under isn't a big deal.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It is a bit like hearding cats. For a long time I pretty much ignored everything except calories. I found out after my yearly physical that my overall cholestrol was too low. Doc said it could be an early sign of malnutrition. Oops. I've since started paying a little more attention to my other nutrient intakes and watching my minimums as well as my maximums. I try to get close but I don't obsess about trying to hit everything perfect. I pre-log my breakfast, lunch and snacks and use dinner to kind of balance out the highs and lows.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I try to: stay within my calories, and only worry about meeting protein, calcium, iron, and potassium and watching my sodium intake... The rest usually falls into place easily enough. I do not worry if I go over on carbs/sugars. I would like to eat more fats but that bumps up my calories lol
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Mine are all over the place except for calories. For now, calorie count is my most important thing.

I do try to get at least close to protein, but some days it's hard (high number to reach). Fats I do just fine with getting a nice, healthy amount, but not outrageous amounts because - calories. Not doing low fat at all. Carbs I do look at just to make sure it's not a blow out and also that it's not too low. I cannot do low carb without feeling really horrible and weak.

So, I have them set as a guide for now and it's working. I'm sure I'll have to revisit that and adhere a little closer once I've lost a lot more.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just try to hit macro levels and ignore anything else the app has to say. It works pretty well.