Fitbit flex users, tips anyone?

Options
My fitbit flex is set to arrive Thursday!! I'm dying to get it and try it out. I'm wondering how you current users, or the other fitbit users, tend to use it. Do you set goals for yourself, and what are they? Are you just checking to make sure you're moving a bit each day? Are you using a hrm during exercise or only during things like cycling? I really want to get the most out if it, so any thoughts on how you're using it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Considering the relatively poor accuracy, I'm only using mine to double check what I think I already know my TDEE is. I'm curious to watch some longer trends, and I always like having more numbers to play with, but I'm not relying on mine for anything.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Join the Fitbit group :smile: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

I am using a Fitbit One right now (waiting for my Fitbit Flex to arrive). I love it. I think it's great. I use it to monitor my calories burned in a normal day. And I use it to tell me how many calories burned during an exercise so I can correct the MFP guesses when I add it in. I also use it to monitor how many calories I'm eating compared to how many calories I've burned SO FAR (MFP gives you the total for the day, Fitbit breaks it down so you can space snacks out and eat a light snack if you've only been lightly active). It also monitors sleep. I don't usually have trouble sleeping so I don't do a whole lot with the information... but it's there if you want to try and figure out why some days you have problems going to sleep, or are restless in the night, etc. Could be food and exercise related.

I do set goals, the same way I do for MFP. To work out enough to keep my eating in check, or vice versa.. eat enough to fuel my body for the work outs I do. You can add me on Fitbit if you want, once you get your account set up. http://www.fitbit.com/user/25TJQV
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've had mine a couple of weeks now and I *love* it. I don't think it's perfectly accurate, but nothing really is. I set daily step and mileage goals - hey, if the flex says I get there, I know I got in at least some extra steps. I use the silent alarm every day too. I check my phone during the day to see how I'm doing with the sync, which is flawless. I also log my sleep.

I absolutely do not regret getting the Flex.

ETA: For actual workouts, I wear my Flex and also wear my HRM to get a more accurate calorie burn estimate.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I got my long-awaited Flex for Mother's Day. I wear it 24 hours a day and love itt! I set goals on the FitBit website. I check my step count on my phone periodically, and it really is motivating to move more, in general, in addition to regular exercise.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Make sure you go into settings & put whether you have it on your dominant or non-dominant hand. They recommend non-dominant if that works for you. I will do the double tap a couple times a day to find out how close I am. I have my primary goal set for 10K steps and still enjoy it when it gives me a quick flash of lights & buzz to let me know when I hit it. The only time I take mine off is to charge it - otherwise I use the sleep tracker & use it to keep myself moving.
  • Delldgm
    Delldgm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just a new flex today too Just wondering how you guys knew what figure to put in fit bit dashboard for calories burned daily goal. So that it matches up with your Mfp goals I can't work it out
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I just a new flex today too Just wondering how you guys knew what figure to put in fit bit dashboard for calories burned daily goal. So that it matches up with your Mfp goals I can't work it out

IMO, your goal should be based on what the flex says. Use the flex for a week or so to get a general feel for your daily calories, then set your goal based on that. Not the other way around.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I got my Flex on Monday but have been too busy to set it up *curses*

I'm not going to be using it to calculate calorie burn but keep a track of my daily activity. How do people find it on that score in terms of accuracy, distance walked etc?
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Does anyone wear the Flex while boxing? I'm waiting for my Flex to arrive. I have the One and love it. But, I do Muay Thai 3 or 4 days a week, and it dawned on me that I won't be able to wear the Flex while my hands/wrists are wrapped and gloved.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a question on the fitbit. I don't have a smart phone, and have been thinking of getting one to track exercise. How does it calculate your calories eaten?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm not going to be using it to calculate calorie burn but keep a track of my daily activity. How do people find it on that score in terms of accuracy, distance walked etc?

Early on it seems fairly accurate for NEAT estimates. Thus far, mine has shown almost exactly what I've figured/tested my NEAT to be.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Early on it seems fairly accurate for NEAT estimates. Thus far, mine has shown almost exactly what I've figured/tested my NEAT to be.

Terrific. That's just what I wanted to know.

Thanks.
  • Delldgm
    Options
    Thanks Jasonpt, so I should just leave it at the random number that is there and then trial for a week? Also I read the newbie tdee thread, how do I handle this in the fit it dashboard?

Thanks again
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks Jasonpt, so I should just leave it at the random number that is there and then trial for a week? Also I read the newbie tdee thread, how do I handle this in the fit it dashboard?

Thanks again

The flex will give you your TDEE (within some degree of error). Use the flex for a week to figure out yoru average TDEE, then set your intake calories based on that.

It sounds like you are doing it backwards... trying to set goals for the flex... the flex should be giving you your goals.
  • getrealforme
    Options

What is NEAT?
  • Delldgm
    Options
    Oh my goodness this thing is amazing. So I went for my run this morning and put it into mfp and my fit it dashboard knew that the logged in mfp matched up with its activity. I was worried that it would double register but no. When I look at the activity graph and add it all up for the day so far there isn't any double.

I now get what you mean about doing it backward JacksonPT (sorry about the jasonpt , reading late at night with out glasses) was thinking that I had to program it and then it would run from the but this thing just knows stuff, why did I ever wait so long to get one? This is great.

Fitbit Flex rocks
  • Delldgm
    Options
    Ok so now after my excitement at the end of the day I am very confused. I logged my food and exercise on mfp, and I am under my calories to eat on mfp, but on fit it it tells me I reached my calories burned daily goal but am over my food plan goal and calories in/out says over on fit it. Did I eat to much or have I got something set wrong between the 2 program's. I had fitbit calories added to my mfp exercise. I am stumped. Sorry if I am asking questions that are already answered but I read through all the chats and I still don't get it help what am I supposed to be eating?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

What is NEAT?

To oversimplify, it's all the cals you burn in a day from everything OTHER than exercise - work, chores, running errands, sleeping, eating, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ok so now after my excitement at the end of the day I am very confused. I logged my food and exercise on mfp, and I am under my calories to eat on mfp, but on fit it it tells me I reached my calories burned daily goal but am over my food plan goal and calories in/out says over on fit it. Did I eat to much or have I got something set wrong between the 2 program's. I had fitbit calories added to my mfp exercise. I am stumped. Sorry if I am asking questions that are already answered but I read through all the chats and I still don't get it help what am I supposed to be eating?

My guess is that you've got different calorie goals in MFP than you do with fitbit, but that's just a guess.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options

You prob have different calorie deficit goals for FitBit and MFP. Mine never match, and I always fall somewhere in between (I'm usually over on my FitBit calories for the day, and under on MFP calories).