Newbie Looking for Some Advice/Help

Options
Hi guys. I'm new to MFP, not new to dieting. I just completed week 3 of counting, exercising, etc. religiously. To give you an idea of my dimensions, I am a 26 YO female, height 5' 8", starting weight of 273 lbs. I have my MFP setting to lose '1 lb per week.'

I lost 4.5 lbs my first week and I was thrilled. I gained 3 lbs my second week (which was a surprise considering I didn't eat over my calories and I exercised on most days that week.). And at my week 3 weigh-in (this morning), I gained another half-pound. I'm not going to quit but this is kind of discouraging.

I'm getting in my water. I think the problem might be that MFP overestimates the number of calories I burn when I'm on my elliptical?? It says I'm burnbing 738 calories during my 40-minute elliptical workouts and it seems high, but I have been eating them anyway because I'm allowed to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    "It says I'm burnbing 738 calories during my 40-minute elliptical workouts and it seems high, but I have been eating them anyway because I'm allowed to."

No way you're burning anywhere near that. I'd say about half that amount.

Try this
    What works for most people is upping their activity level in the mfp settings and not specifically logging their activities. That way it's easier to plan out your meals, and wrong numbers like the 740 cals in 40 minutes don't mess up your logging. Also, you might want to look into weight lifting rather than doing just cardio. It will help you lose fat mass rather than muscle mass.

Good luck :)
  • Amson19
    Amson19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third or fourth week as well of doing this (again), except I'm not losing any. I keep gaining a little bit each week (.2 here, .5 there). I posted something last week and was told that it is my exercising that could be making me gain. Usually after that time of the month I lose a couple of pounds, but that didn't happen this time. I too am lost and confused.
    Could it be from the weather? My body swelling from it being so hot?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could just not eat back the exercise calories? Or at least some of them, because I agree with the other poster- MFP estimates are really high. It tells me I burn 600-something calories for 45 minutes of Zumba. Yeah, I don't think so. Invest in a heart rate monitor, which will give you a better estimate. Good luck!

-Kendra
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This sounds fabulous, I thought those 'calories burned' numbers were definitely high. Thanks guys.
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    I agree with Kendra, you need to invest in a heart rate monitor. MFP is only estimating but the thing is our hearts are different and during excercise, your beats per minute flucuate. Ususally, after 60 minutes of cardio, I will burn anywhere from 500-800 calories. So for me, I have to do a minimum of one hour of cardio. Weights are also good to use to get a good burn. 60 minutes of weights usually burns about 500 calories for me.

Not only that, but it takes your body about 4 weeks to really get into the groove. You lost water and waste the first week. Now your body is readjusting. Keep at it and the excerise is what will make the real difference as long as you are eating right and under calorie goal. Also what you are eating is important. Low carbs (NO WHITE PROCESSED Carbs), high protein (FOR YOUR MUSLES TO REBUILD AND REPAIR) and moderate fats (LIKE NUTS, OLIVE OIL, AVOCADO). This mix will fuel your body for workouts and burn calories effectively.

As for water, you need about 100 ounces minimum per day if you are working out regularly. Helps your metabolism operate at maximum efficiency.

Hope this helps!
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    OH and and lean muscle weights more than fat. So your weight will go up and down for a while. But on average, every 4 or 5 weeks, you will see a significant loss. This is due to enough fat being lost/converted into muscle.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Two tricks with ellipticals that I learned through using my Polar HRM. Either take off about 1/3rd of what it says you burned (1/3rd would be 296 so that leaves 492) which sounds more reasonable) or give yourself 100 calories per mile (so if you go 3.4 miles, that's 340 calories). If you figure both and there's a difference, take the average of the two (usng the above, 492+340=832 / 2 = 416). Either way, you'll be logging a number much more accurate than what you currently are and won't be overeating.

Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    First..no way you burned that much on the elliptical. Too bad...I would have disappeared entirely by now if it burned that much! Second...don't worry too much about fluctuating weight on the scale. Its normal...gonna happen. Just keep logging and eating well and you'll be fine. You can do this!