Walking on a incline

Options
I tend to get bored with running on a treadmill in the winter and thought about just walking on a incline until it gets warmer out and can go run. Until then...has anyone lost any weight doing an incline accompanying toning 3x a week? How many days and miles a week do you suggest? Thanks!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Well, walking on an incline certainly will burn calories which can give you a calorie deficit as part of a weight loss plan.

When I was training for a wilderness backpacking trip I did a lot of walking on inclines. I set the angle to 15% and maintained about 3-3.5 miles per hour. For me that was a net burn of about 10 kcal/min. I would typically go for 20-30 minutes.

I wouldn't presume to recommend an exercise plan, but I do cardio almost daily for 30-60 minutes. I like the 15% incline as I don't want to mess around with anything less.

A decent calculator, which I find matches my HRM and other online estimates, is available here:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Will definitely help. I'm currently training for a 166.4km non stop hike in 36 hours. It's difficult to train with 2 young children so if I'm unable to go out and train (if my husband is away and no childcare) then I put on my weighted backpack and do a fast walk on an incline for about half an hour and after do some different exercises, kettlebells, etc.
    When my husband is home we do a circuit together using the treadmill. 2 min one of us runs while the other does a 5 exercise circuit, we swap every 2 mins for half an hour. Change it up a bit so you don't get bored on the treadmill x
  • Alynn2813
    Alynn2813 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what about putting on your backpack like you said and walking up and down your stairs over and over a certain amount of times? Could help and be something different than your tredmil?..
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    stephm112 wrote: »
    I'm currently training for a 166.4km non stop hike in 36 hours. x

I'm intrigued. Care to share the details? It took us 10 days to do this distance last summer, but that was with full packs, at 3000 meters plus, over mountainous terrain.