Ive lost 23lb and it doesnt show.....

Options
Not even a bit. I measure the same, look the same ! Where the hell has the 23lb gone from then ??

Its actually ruining my motivation as although the scales are going sloooowly down I appear to have stayed the same physically ?

Any advice ?

Replies

• ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had this years ago when I was practically starving myself but working out like a maniac. I'm sure you're not doing the same, but have you been doing a lot of weights? Elliptical work? I can say for sure that would be doing it, but it's possible that your body takes to muscle really well and it's taking up a bit more room than usual. Maybe try and find some workouts that cater to lean muscle - like yoga - and see if that makes a difference?
  • nabzilla_uk
    nabzilla_uk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you checking your body fat percentage? maybe thats changed? my weight has been going down slowly lately so I was thinking of using a machine I have at work to check it once a month.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It depends on your size. The larger and taller you are, the more you have to lose to make a difference in clothes, etc. I have lost 28lbs in the last 2 months and my size hasn't changed. I went from wearing pants that were slightly tight to now they just fit. Also, if you are used to wearing baggy clothes anyway, sometimes you don't realize you are actually losing weight. I am almost 5'10", which means there is more of me vertically to lose. It is great when it comes to putting on weight because you can gain more without people noticing but alas, it goes both ways.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Not even a bit. I measure the same, look the same ! Where the hell has the 23lb gone from then ??

Its actually ruining my motivation as although the scales are going sloooowly down I appear to have stayed the same physically ?

Any advice ?

I'd like to see comparison pics. YOU may not see it like other people do.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    this

I'd like to see comparison pics. YOU may not see it like other people do.
    and also this
    Also, if you are used to wearing baggy clothes anyway, sometimes you don't realize you are actually losing weight. I am almost 5'10", which means there is more of me vertically to lose. It is great when it comes to putting on weight because you can gain more without people noticing but alas, it goes both ways.

do you have photos? maybe we can help.
  • ninapturner
    ninapturner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bet you just are hard on yourself so you don't notice. It probably shows in your face and your neck especially and your clothes probably are not as tight! I lost 14 pounds so far and can tell my face is not so swollen looking and I think I look a little healthier than I did pllus I have more energy. So do not give up and you shoudl be really proud of losing that much because it is not easy and takes determination and that is a good amount to lose. So just keep going to you get to your goal and I know that any amount you lose will make you healthier and give you more confidence. Message me anytime ok.
    Nina:smile:
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Do a side-by-side....I've lost 28 and couldn't see where I'd lost it either, no one else could tell, AND I'm wearing the same clothes (they are just loose now but not enough to buy new ones)...... so on my 3mo anniv I did the side-by-side of my pics (my profile pic now) and I could finally see it.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've lost 23lb too and I don't see a big difference either, but I was able to take my old 'too skinny' clothes back out and they either fit well, or are loose. Other people have noticed too. 23lb from 177 to 154. I'm not really working out either though, shattered my ankle last July and it's still very painful to use. I'm sure if I was a fit 154 I'd notice a difference compared to the blubberous 177.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You probably do look different but don't notice because you see yourself every day. Plus, it's pretty common for people who lose weight to have a distorted self-image and still see the heavier version of themselves in the mirror. Are your clothes fitting looser? That's the biggest indicator that change is happening for me.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Do a side-by-side....I've lost 28 and couldn't see where I'd lost it either, no one else could tell, AND I'm wearing the same clothes (they are just loose now but not enough to buy new ones)...... so on my 3mo anniv I did the side-by-side of my pics (my profile pic now) and I could finally see it.

You look really good! You can totally tell in your face :)\

And for the poster - I agree with everyone else, add a side by side! Its easier to tell the difference then.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am at 25 lbs gone and pretty much feel the same way, just keep going, I really believe it will be noticeable all at once eventually. you are doing great.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. The measurements don't move nearly as fast as the scale does. I've never understood it. Maybe you are getting rid of visceral fat first, that deep fat that is so bad for our bodies.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had sort of the same thing. I didn't really notice a difference in myself until I had lost about 25lbs, even though I was taking measurements and pictures. Like someone else mentioned, it might be the case that you're tall enough that you have to lose a little more to notice it. I will say, though, that once I noticed it at around 25lbs lost, I went down a pants size very quickly after that and it doesn't seem to take as many pounds for me to notice a difference anymore. Be patient...you'll start to see it soon. :)
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of weight to lose and my first 25 lbs were hardly noticeable (I sounded just like you, "What the heck?"). Once I hit 30 lbs lost, I started dropping sizes fast though. Keep doing what you're doing and you will see and feel the difference! They say it takes our minds a lot longer to see ourselves differently than it takes our bodies to change as well.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Different people put on weight in different ways. Some people gain in their butt...or their stomach...or their upper body. When people lose weight, we lose the same way we put it on.

Some people, like me (any maybe you?), gain all over, and not in any one particular spot. We will lose that weight the same way - from all over. It makes noticing a difference a bit harder in the beginning. For me, I started at 234 lbs, and it wasn't until a good 30 lbs into it that I noticed my clothing fitter more loosely (though my mother says she noticed a difference at 20 lbs).

Keep at it. Know that, even if a difference isn't noticeable on the outside, the difference on the inside is huge. You are getting healthier every day.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Any advice ?

Have you no "before" photos? Stand it next to one of you now, see if you still say the same.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    We carry fat around our organs too (which is really unhealthy) so you may be losing some internal fat that just isn't showing up on your external body yet. If you're losing weight, keep doing what you're doing and you will see the results. Don't get discouraged!
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    Body dysmorphia ?
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Are you tall? It takes about 20 pounds and more for my body to finally start reflecting a real weight loss. Sometimes its BF% that you are losing and not weight.
    I'm 6 feet tall, i lose it in my toes.. .FIRST! =)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. The first 15 lbs I lost made a big difference, the next 15 lbs, nothing. I mean, all that weight must have come from somewhere, but my belly is just as big.