Protein Powder in Coffee?

Options
I've seen several suggestion of adding protein powder to coffee...and I thought, why not?

FAIL. I added half a scoop and added hot coffee. I couldn't get the powder to dissolve, so I'm chewing my coffee. Any tips for me?

Replies

• HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine into an "iced coffee" with chilled almond milk. I think the problem is the effect that heat has on the protein powder - making it go lumpy. Try dissolving your protein powder in a bit of cold water or milk first then adding the liquid to the coffee while stiring all the time. You might have to add less protein powder than you usually would for a single shake and maybe spread it out over 3 cups of coffee (I pulled that number out of the air - you may need to experiment a bit LOL).
  • itstheamarie
    itstheamarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed with HaggisWhisper: dissolve it in milk first (I use plain unsweetened almond milk), then mix it with your coffee. You may have to microwave your coffee if you want it warm after adding the milk mixture. Delish!
  • itstheamarie
    itstheamarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    P.S. I usually only use half a scoop in 1/3 cup of milk for a reg cup.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    unless its a special protein powder it usually cant be heated. first it clumps second its denigrates part of the protein. I do it often but only iced/ cold or room temperature.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've heard about it clumping. never experienced this, i put it in my oatmeal hot in the morning, but i suppose thats a little different.

the one time i put it in coffee i didn't notice clumping but it tasted like crap

idk about the clumping part but i wouldn't worry to much about it destroying or lessening the effect of your protien much. lots of reciepes call for protein powder in something thats going to be heated
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    unless its a special protein powder it usually cant be heated it denigrates part of the protein.

No it doesn't this is a myth.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I use an emersion blender. It froths it up nice and no clumps. :bigsmile:
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use an emersion blender. It froths it up nice and no clumps. :bigsmile:

me too! i love it!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine into an "iced coffee" with chilled almond milk. I think the problem is the effect that heat has on the protein powder - making it go lumpy. Try dissolving your protein powder in a bit of cold water or milk first then adding the liquid to the coffee while stiring all the time. You might have to add less protein powder than you usually would for a single shake and maybe spread it out over 3 cups of coffee (I pulled that number out of the air - you may need to experiment a bit LOL).

old post but bump to remember this!

FYI- anyone else looking for whether protein powders mix into coffee- The first time I tried this I put a half serving of powder in my cup and filled with coffee and the clumps were really gross. Huge and all rubbery. This morning I put half a cup of hot water with my powder (half serving again) and mixed it before adding the rest and it wasn't as bad. Still clumpy but tiny little ones (was able to work the bigger ones out) and the taste/texture wasn't bad. Will try mixing the milk in cold first for next time.