What is more important...

Options
13»

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Not thrilled with my job or the money I make.
    But it's six blocks from home and gives me the schedule I want.
    No babysitter needed.
    I pick the days I work six weeks at a time so I can be with my daughter, volunteer at her school, go on field trips etc.
    Every so often I get the bee in my bonnet and want a "better" job but I realize for what I want in life right now, this is job is good enough.
    Don't know if that helped you or not...
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The grass isn't always greener on the other side. How do you know you wil be happier witih the other position?
    When I lived pay cheque to pay cheque, it was extremely stressful. Brutal. I counldn't sleep most nights, never mind just Sundays.

It all depends on how much of a pay cut you're going to be able to cope with but maybe a solution could be; you just have to learn to leave work at work.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    not everyone is lucky enough to have a job that they actually like. Money is important. make a list of pros and cons for both jobs and see what you come up with. You dont want to jump out of the pot into the frying pan.
  • DarthGibbles89
    DarthGibbles89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't complain about a half hour each way. I have a job that's just that. A job is a job. I know the prices of gas can be unbearable, but if I were you, I wouldn't leave my job until I had another one lined up. Being happy is great, but how happy can you be when you are broke, lack food and can't pay the bills? Some money in take is better than none. I've been homeless before and I can say, having a job, whether you like it or not- is a blessing. Not everyone can find a job these days.

Instead, I'd re-focus my outlook on things. We all have to do thing we don't like, but remember, without some rain, we couldn't have a rainbow. See what you can do to make your job more enjoyable. And just keep your hopes up. If something better does come your way, and it's a sure deal, then I would leave. But not until you are 100% sure you have another job ready to switch to.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. How will the drop in income effect you? Will you constantly be worried about losing your house/apartment, your electricity getting turned off, not being able to pay for your car or car insurance? If not, it might be a bit difficult at times, but I would say I'd rather have a job I'm happy with than one that I make a lot of money at.
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    About four years ago I decided I could not work in my miserable job any longer, even though I made great money. I quit my job went back to school, now have a great job which I love, and will be getting promoted as soon as a spot opens up. Even with the promotion I will be making a lot less than my miserable career from the past. We are a family of four and we have learned how to be very creative with money, because saying we have a tight budget is a huge understatement, but I have never been happier. I don't like being broke but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for you own mental health.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    happiness
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Happiness beats money every time.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to just stay put until I find something that would be worth leaving for. I think just being able to take a vacation day here and there would help a lot, but as I said, I don't get days off due to only being a contractor. I will figure things out. I wanted to be a special education teacher but I didn't want to rack up a bunch of loans because I bought a house when I was 24. Maybe one of these days I will just have to go back to school so that I can do what I really want.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    If you can afford to, I say go for the new job even if it pays less. Of course if that were going to leave you homeless or starving then perhaps there would be more to consider.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I say happiness.

Regarding the pay cut sure it will sting for the first month or two but then you adjust and you won't even notice it.