Knowing When you've Reached Ideal Weight.

Options
I'm only a couple of pounds from reaching my initial target, which will be around a stone and a half loss (my weight fluctuated between 13.7 and 14 stone.)

Thing is now I'm almost there, I can see I could probably do with losing a bit more (love handles and belly still roundy).

I definitely don't want to be too skinny, so how am I best gauging it?

Thanks.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't know ...having the same issue

I reached my goal ...so I'm trying to make maintenance work for a month or two and focus on just being able to do one single pull-up...but I could easily lose more weight as my goal was a BMI of 25...my husband wants me to stop though

Tbh the last couple of weeks I've found I'm still cutting by about 1000-1500 calories ..so it's a psyche thing

Let me know if you solve it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd work on bodyfat % rather than just scale weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, I figured it out by just going until I stabilized. My constraints were
    - I had to eat enough for me to feel good (i.e., wasn't hungry, had good energy for life activities and workouts). This was ~2000-2200 for me; I am a 5'7 woman.
    - doing basically the recommended amount of exercise (4-5/7 days of a mix of resistance and at least 40 mins cardio), which was also the amount of exercise that kept me feeling strong and healthy (totally subjective feeling).

The scale number turned out to be 124 lbs, and I easily maintained it for years until injuries mixed up the balance. My initial goal was much more conservative.

(so basically it was my lifestyle, preferences and subjective feelings that set the limits and the number followed)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I've reached mine, but had no idea in advance where that would be. My goal was more or less "visible abs, at any weight." That weight just happened to be at or around 155 pounds ... and here I am at 153 this morning (from a 204 high) at a (caliper estimated) 11%-ish body fat (From a start of around 28%)

I never put much stock in any magic number. I was going for a particular look/feel and damn the numbers. Let them be what they must be.
  • 77Ben42
    77Ben42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice, thanks. :-)
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me it is my waist measurement.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Briefly last year I hit 110 pounds, which was 12 pounds below my original goal weight. I loved not having any jiggle sensation on my hips and gut when I ran. When I gained weight back, the jiggle came back with it, and it irritates me to no end now. So I know my ideal weight is a jiggle-free weight, definitely not over 110 and not more than a few pounds under that. I guess I could buy all kinds of compression gear to get the same effect, but I also felt really good at that weight, so I think I'll do it the natural way. Now if I were to build up all kinds of muscle in place of the jiggle, I'd be perfectly happy at a higher weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I got to my initial goal and maintained there a while (very useful to discover your maintenance calories whatever you decide to do next).

After a while decided to drop a few more pounds. Repeated that a few times over the course of 20 months and am happy at around 11lbs less than my original goal - which was based on nothing more scientific than what was my favourite weight in my 20's.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting?
  • 77Ben42
    77Ben42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to the gym, truth be told I can never get 'into' it. I'm doing yoga two times a week and a 10km walk twice a week at the moment.