Experienced lifters: Which gym machines would you use?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have to completely rearrange my routine, because of an injury. So, from running and body weight/TRX training, I am changing into a mainly "traditional" gym routine, which is something I have not done in years. The trainers at the gym are no help, because as soon as they see a woman, they assume I am in there to use machines only, maybe small dumbbells and do about a billion reps at a time. I was explaining to the trainer how for the next couple of months deadlift and squats are forbidden, and she was looking me as if I was an alien for even thinking about these exercises.
Anyway, I am trying to build a routine based mostly on free weights, but because the benches are rather crowded when I visit the gym, I am thinking I also need to make use of the machines up to a point, and am trying to figure out which ones are worth it. I am thinking rowing, lat pulldowns, triceps pushdowns and for now I am limited to machines for whatever I can do with my legs. Is there anything else you think is worth it? Is there any benefit to using ab machines, over crunches, planks, side bends etc?

Replies

• luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it really matters as long as your form is good and your consistent with it for at least 8 weeks ... for example for back you can use Plate loaded lat pull down machine and increase the weight by about 5 pounds a week .... or you can do the same with the lat pull down wire machine ... you can do bent over rows with dumbbells or straight bar ,, you can even do it with the wires .... the thing is if you been lifting for over two years you should know how it feels when your working a muscle and you can actually do your own or create you own exercises... that's what I do ...I try new stances with light weight so I won't get hurt and if it seems uncomfortable or just doesn't feel like its suppose to then I won't do it ... you can do rows close grip, wide grip, work on negatives , or explosive possitives , underhand over hand ,
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tricep pushdowns underhand over hand, over head tricep extensions , with bar or wires the possibilities are endless.. Experiment :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have to use machines more than I would like as the gyms I belong to aren't that well equipped and can't always get to use barbells.

All machines aren't created equal either - some are simple levers or pulleys and others are multi jointed and you have to stabilise to a degree and can follow a more natural ROM. One of my gyms also has some plate loaded machines which allow use of some serious weight without the worry of getting pinned when you are training alone!

But same principles apply - focus on compound moves and not isolation moves as much as possible.

My routine tends to include chest press, shoulder press, lat pull down, rows, leg press, leg curl. But I also include a variety of body weight exercises (dips, pull ups, sit ups, captains chair), cable machine (great for getting those stabiliser muscles working!) and dumbbells.
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What injury do you have? I'm currently training with a shoulder injury. It's murder tbh, I'm using mostly machines as I can't deadlift/squat or do any upper body work really. I'm still managing to do core and leg work no problem. I have a 'heavy' leg day at the moment with two superset days. I thoroughly enjoy doing supersets, some good ones on Scott Herman fitness. Can't wait to get back to free weights and especially clean and press!!!