Tricep imbalance = wonky bench press

Options
Hi,

I've got a problem when benching. When I up the weight to anything less than 8 reps my left side starts lagging. I can feel my left tricep beginning to give way after a few reps, leading to the barbell slanting.

Other than lowering the weight and studying my form and also switching to dumbbells, what can I do to sort out the strength imbalance in my triceps?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'd try some lockouts. My trainer has added these in for me to help my weak lockout. They suck but I can def feel my triceps burning after a few!
  • osmondphoto
    Options
    I used to bench wonky too, the way I over come it is by tilting it to the opposite sides. After a while when you start back doing it normally the movement became more balance. I do this on the 2nd to the last and final set usually.

Plus I usually do single hand accessory work and do more on the weak hand with 1-2 extra reps, specially on tricep works. This will maintain the dominan sides while breaking down and rebuilding the weak sides.

I had my acl work on my leg which mess up the muscle balance, and also shoulder surgery too. So I had to overcome bunch of imbalance, you just need to spend extra care on them weak part to get them up to speed.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Just work up to when your form breaks down and (as you noted) do some dumbbell work. Over time, the left arm should catch up to the right.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you don't already do fairly heavy close grip bench press (6-8 rep range.) In the past 2 years I don't think I've ever failed a bench press on the lockout, close grip bench really helps with it. It should help strengthen your weaker tricep too!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly it will probably sort itself over time but the db idea isn't a bad one either. I never bothered, myself. It just equalized over time naturally.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try lying triceps extensions with an EZ curl bar. Rippetoe recommends them in Starting Strength for strengthening the triceps.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, folks! :)
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The mother of asymmetry fixers is the turkish getup. TGUs can be done with dumbbells or kettlebells and are a great supplementary exercises.