Type 1 Diabetic - Friends Wanted!

Hi I am 34 and a Type 1 Diabetic - looking for some friends on here for some motivation! Have around 20lbs to lose after sorting my sugars out but gaining too many lbs in the process!

Replies

• Hey there! I'm 24 and I've been a type 1 diabetic for a little over 10 years now and just last April got my first insulin pump. Since getting the pump, I've had much better control over my readings. However, I've also gained a lot of weight. I'm not overweight yet (at least not by my doctor's standards) but I don't feel comfortable with my body anymore. I'm hoping to use this site to help me stay motivated and lose about 20-30 lbs.
    Good luck, jnaylor342014!
  • jnaylor342014
    jnaylor342014 Posts: 17 Member
    Hey! I am exactly the same but I was put on my pump in 2009 before i had my son. My hba1c was too high a few months back so trying to get it down but after a ton of hypos and over eating I have also gained a few lbs!! I need to try limit what I eat when I go low but it's so hard
  • I know what you mean. It's tough to lose weight period, but when you add diabetes to the mix it seems like it gets ten times harder! Even though I try to be careful to avoid lows, I feel like every time I finish a good workout I end up low later in the day and have to shovel food in my mouth to keep from bottoming out. Kind of defeats the purpose of working so hard to burn those calories when your body forces you to add them right back, huh?
    Just keep at it and I'm sure we'll both be happier when all the hard work finally pays off. Thanks for the add, I'm always happy to meet a fellow type 1 friend :smile:
  • Hi! I am 27 and was diagnosed type 1 almost two years ago. Within a month of going on insulin my weight which had been consistent for years went up ten pounds... and for the past two years I have been trying to no avail to lose those ten pounds. When I eat super healthy (remove all processed foods) and exercise I wake up low almost every night (which is more frustrating than anything). My sugar control is in the normal range, and my bmi is still in the healthy range. I think the hardest thing for me is feeling like I no longer have any control over my body. Do you have any advice? Even though its been almost two years, I still feel like a novice in all of this!
  • @fancypantskirsten‌, I've been diabetic for almost 10 years and sometimes I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing either. Just when you think you've got things figured out, diabetes throws you a curve ball and you have to make adjustments yet again. All I can tell you is to try not to get discouraged and keep at it, all you can do is give your best shot! Good luck with your weight loss goals!!
  • jnaylor342014
    edited February 2015
    I have just woke up low omce again ao that's another 100 calories in some Lucozade! I'm finding it really frustrating too :neutral_face: I am really trying to get my hba1c low but the only way it seems i can do that is by having hypos as it never stays stable argghhhh!! I have gained around 14lb in the last couple of months with it. The consultant will be pleased with the bloods but im not with the extra calories! I am really trying not to overeat when having a hypo but it's hard with the way it makes you feel.
  • jnaylor342014
    edited February 2015
    I also do not feel like i am in control either after 10 years!

• spentrails
    spentrails Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I am also T1D having been diagnosed at the age of 40 a few years ago (I have LADA). I have a 2-year old, work full-time and have just started using myfitnesspal. Should we start a group? Am just getting used to how this works, but I have learned that with diabetes as soon as you think you're on top of it, something fundamental changes - like your carb/insulin ratio... just to keep life 'interesting' for us all. :smile:
  • tycoon460
    tycoon460 Posts: 28 Member
    Hi there. I'm Type 1 also. Recently diagnosed back in October 2014 after going into severe DKA in Netherlands on business trip. I've actually been able to lose around 20 lbs since getting out of the hospital.

There is a T1 group already, but it's buried in the system and hard to find.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics
  • jnaylor342014
    For me there never seems to be a reason for the carb/insulin ratio changes and it's so annoying! I've had two hypos already today. Back at consultant in March so hopefully can sort it out. Ill have a look at the group thanks.
  • I'm about to be 22 I was diagnosed at 18.. Add me! Look into symlin too! If you have questions message me :) its prescribed by my end for type 1s only for weightloss and sugar control!
  • jnaylor342014
    Thanks, I have never heard of it! I totally fell off the calorie-counting wagon yesterday. Had a terrible hypo and ate far too much
  • dzip007
    dzip007 Posts: 1 Member
    New to LADA... freaking out... currently on Glimeperide.. BG levels are pretty well controlled. I am kind of lost right now... exercise, eating, and when to do what??? I have a RN/nutritionist calling me... telling me I am Type 2 and my doctor telling me no I am Type 1, GAD-65 was high.. I use to walk before I eat and felt pretty good.. BG was WNL...now I eat before I walk... and really no change. Anyone do morning shakes...? Possible insulin in my future...
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Hi guys. I was diagnosed in 1994 so I recently hit my 20 year anniversary. Feel free to add me too. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I'm type 1. You can add me. Actually, I have both type 1 and type 2 (trying to change the type 2 part). It's often called "double diabetes" among endocrinologists.

Also, there is a type 1 group on MFP. I think you can find it through my profile.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2015
    dzip007 wrote: »
    New to LADA... freaking out... currently on Glimeperide.. BG levels are pretty well controlled. I am kind of lost right now... exercise, eating, and when to do what??? I have a RN/nutritionist calling me... telling me I am Type 2 and my doctor telling me no I am Type 1, GAD-65 was high.. I use to walk before I eat and felt pretty good.. BG was WNL...now I eat before I walk... and really no change. Anyone do morning shakes...? Possible insulin in my future...

LADA is type 1. It is often misdiagnosed as type 2 or misunderstood as type 2 because the autoimmune response is slower. Type 1 and type 2 are distinctly different because the pathway is distinctly different.

Type 1 - Autoimmune disease. Your immune system kills the islets of langerhans and you can no longer take insulin.

Type 2 - Insulin resistance. Your cells do not utilize and absorb insulin efficiently.

LADA is type 1 when the autoimmune response is triggered at a later age (as an adult), but it is still type 1. I really wish they didn't call it something different, but I'm pretty sure drs. came up with a different name because the prevalence of misdiagnosis as type 2 has alwasy been very very high.

To get type 1 (or LADA if you want to call it that), you need 2 things:
    1. Genetic predisposition. Specifically, the HLA genes on chromosome 6 contain the DNA that causes type 1.
    2. Trigger for the auto-immune response. Often, this is when your immune system is fighting something else, and becomes confused at that time about what to attack.

Because in adults, the immune system works much more slowly than in children, type 1's with a trigger as an adult will initially appear as though they are just insulin resistant because BG's are only slightly elevated. But since the pathway is the factor as to the type, not the symptoms, it is not type 2.

ETA: I realize this is an old topic, but this might be relevant if you didn't get any clarification yet. Also, insulin is in your future for sure (no maybe about it). Eventually your immune system will have successfully killed enough of the islet cells to cause you to take artificial insulin. Eventually you will make zero insulin of your own (you will need to start injections or insulin pump before your pancreas completely stops making insulin).