Why did my body do this...

Options
Hi! I know this is/ may be a dumb question, and I am not on my period or anything like that at this time, but I want to know what happened to my weight.
I know it is normal and possible, but HOW? Yesterday, I was 124 lbs. and today I woke up at 127 lbs. HOW ON EARTH did I "gain 3 lbs." over night? I just don't understand why or how the body does this?
Suggestions/ Help?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The body retains water for a number of reasons - higher salt intake the day before, to repair muscles after exercise, if you didn't drink enough water, etc. I can't provide an in-depth scientific explanation, but I'm sure someone else (or Google) can!

As for suggestions, accept that fluctuations happen, carry on as normal, weigh again tomorrow and follow the general trend.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me, it is too much sodium. Yes, I went out for Valentines Day and had enchiladas that had a huge amount of sodium. I feel it. I am "puffy".
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Too much salt and heavy lifting does this to me. Drink tons of water so your body feels hydrated again and stops having to hold onto water to dilute the salt and have a rest day. Apparently sweating it out in a sauna helps too.
  • jimeads
    jimeads Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The day after a Chinese restaurant I am about 2-3 pounds heavier. Italian (tomato sauce) is almost as bad. It's all water weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    At a guess water, poop or alien probe while you were sleeping.
    Probably aliens. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm voting for the aliens!
    OP, its normal daily fluctuations.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How many days until your next period? Somewhere around 14?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

*giggle*
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    If you had a meal high in sodium it could be water weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    normal fluctuation …

stop obsessing over the scale…

it might be better to weigh in either once a week or three times a week and take a three day average...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Mostly water, possibly also some solid waste if you ate food with more fiber than usual.