Fitbit So Expensive!

Why is the Fitbit so expensive? Is there another product out there comparable to Fitbit but not sooo expensive?

Replies

• You can get the Fitbit flex pretty cheap on ebay
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Which Fitbit are you looking at? What features do you want? Are you willing to pay a monthly service fee? You can spend anywhere from $5 for a basic pedometer to several hundred dollars for trackers with an HRM so more info is needed.
  • As kyleerininger22 said, look on ebay, i got mine cheaper on there. :smile:
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    i'd be leary of getting used fitbits from ebay.....i love my flex....and already needed to have it replaced once under warranty.....and was surprised that they did not want me to send my old Flex back to them for either 1) proper disposal, or 2) refurbishment? lol. i was kind of shocked when they told me to take the flex to my "local electronics recycling facility" - since the flex contains a battery it must be disposed of properly...but really, i'd be curious how many of these "used" fitbits were previously "broken" and replaced under warranty,,..so the person goes to hawk it for sale on ebay/amazon......get my drift?

like for example, mine counted steps fine, it just stopped holding charge, would shut off at random times as if completely dead......but i wasn't getting the low battery notices or emails.......they simply told me my flex was 'sending weird data to their servers' so something wasn't right.....but they replaced it fine under warranty after i mailed them my fiance's receipt (she bought it for my birthday present in september)

if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the fitbit......look up dealsmachine.com or a happy deal.com.....they have some generic knock off wrist watch pedometers there....of course made in china....but last i checked, so was the fitbit....some look like garmins lol.....tbh....basically the only difference is it's rebranded....

otherwise, if you have a smart phone.....look up the "Moves" app on your marketplace....it's a pedometer that works with the latest smart phones that contain accelerometers (basically the same tech, that fitbit uses.....afaik) to count your "steps"....when i first got my flex, i wore it alongside the Moves app, and a cheapy digital pedometer.....and they were basically spot on......like less than 500 steps difference.....i chalked that up to a 'margin of error' - being that obviously the flex is going to clock more steps......it's literally always on me! lol.....whereas the phone stays in my pocket..if you get my drift....
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    I got an Omron Walking Style III pedometer for a very cheap price on Amazon before I got my Fitbit One (which I also got on Amazon for a good price). It seemed to be quite accurate, but I eventually got the Fitbit because I wanted to monitor my sleep, active minutes and set goals for myself. I also liked the fact it syncs with MFP and MapMyWalk and I can quickly see a summary of my activity on my phone which it syncs with regularly. It also gives me calorie goals to work towards and I can see the deficit I'm creating based on how active I am each day. This means that I can eat a little more on my particularly active days. My boyfriend got his Fitbit at the same time as me so it helps us both be more active as if one of us is really far behind the other we can try and catch up.

A basic pedometer will give you an idea of your steps and calorie burn but that's pretty much all it can do.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    A Fitbit zip is 60$.
    One is 100$ and they go up from there.
    They aren't required for weightloss.

A coworker got a Chinese knockoff of the Fitbit Flex for like 15$, the MI I believe. He did a lot of research before picking this one (we're engineers so yeah lol).
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    My Fitbit has helped me to lose a significant amount of weight -- and it is now helping me to maintain that weight loss. It is the best money I ever spent.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    I personally feel a fitbit is a useless tool unless you get most of your exercise by walking or running. I was thinking of getting one for a while but they really are expensive. I don't really walk or run, I do other forms of exercise, so I decided to just get a new HRM instead.
  • TiffKouns
    TiffKouns Posts: 222 Member
    Thank you! Ugh I do most of my exercise doing cardio! I love to walk!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    tkouns2015 wrote: »
    Why is the Fitbit so expensive? Is there another product out there comparable to Fitbit but not sooo expensive?

I got mine for $15 from an REI garage sale.

That's not bad.
  • TiffKouns
    I cannot read the last post! Wierd there is like a key locked gate covering it!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    I cannot read the last post! Wierd there is like a key locked gate covering it!!

I know, weird. Welcome to MFP where public shaming is teh kewlest. Silly programmers.
  • TiffKouns
    Why can I not see the replies to my post!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Fitbits are expensive, but Fitbit does stand by their product and has very good customer service. I'd be a little hesitant to buy from E-bay or craigstlist. You may be able to catch one on sale at Best Buy or maybe Amazon.
  • TiffKouns
    Awesome thank you!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

That's not bad.

Here's what dbmata said.
    You can't see it because he's in timeout and you're on the app.
    The users who are in timeout have jailbars covering their picture. And in the app/mobile website, it covers their entire post. It's a bug known to MFP and is on their "to fix" list
  • TiffKouns
    dbmata wrote: »

That's not bad.

Here's what dbmata said.
    You can't see it because he's in timeout and you're on the app.
    The users who are in timeout have jailbars covering their picture. And in the app/mobile website, it covers their entire post. It's a bug known to MFP and is on their "to fix" list

Awesome thank you so much for the explanation.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Good recent article about this:

Science Says FitBit Is a Joke
    Your smartphone is much more accurate and consistent than wearable devices.
    FitBits, FueldBands, and other wearable fitness trackers promised to enhance the health of the wearer by accurately monitoring every step, calorie, and sleep pattern. But, according to a new study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the apps on your smartphone do the job just as well, or even better—at least in terms of measuring your steps and your calories.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Depends on what you are looking for in a fitness band. That will be the determining factor of how much you are going to spend to get what you want.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    I've gotten a couple of them off eBay and haven't had any problems. I wash them, or they fall off my clothes or get cracked when I slide off a cliff, etc. . .so, I'm fine with paying.less for something that is likely to encounter a mishap in 3 months. Any rate, the replacements used and cheap from eBay have worked fine for me.