Overdoing it

Options
So I started a lifting program this weekend. Did ok because I started with the recommended light weight and will build on the next workout. It was all the lifting and step ups I did working at helping get a trailer loaded for a cookoff that got me. My thighs are burning still. Any thing I can do to help reduce this?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would take a walk and maybe stretch a bit. If you are looking for stretches, I really like this set from Fitnessblender. When I first started working out I was super sore and doing those stretches (after walking for 5-10 minutes as a warm-up) helped a lot. I still mostly use the same stretches now, a year later.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I am finding that after a bit of moving around, the burn eases. I am increasing my water some today too. I will check out those stretches.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It is counter intuitive but moving those muscles is the way to get rid of the burn. Make sure to stretch after lifting. Foam rolling is awesome and like a mini massage and will definitely help with soreness. You may also find a light half mile run after lifting can reduce soreness the next day(s) too.

But in the end you have to embrace the soreness if you have plans of serious lifting or fitness programs....to some degree it is inevitable.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Water and active recovery.