Vegan diet? Let's talk!

Options
2»

Replies

• loladidntdoit
    loladidntdoit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going vegetarian first? That might be easier on your body than going fully vegan. I don't eat meat for non dietary reasons, and get a lot of my needed protein from dairy products such as greek yogurt.
  • theonlycathy
    Options
    swole_elsa wrote: »
    Looks like the 801010 diet to me. Bail now while you still have control over your nervous system.

Also..
    arditarose wrote: »
    Vegans eat that way for a life style choice. It's not a "diet" to lose weight. You can gain weight eating vegan if you're still eating above your maintenance calories.
    This.^
    Being a vegan is not a diet. It is a lifestyle that one chooses for compassion towards sentient beings. It is not a weight loss quick fix. There are plenty of overweight and obese vegans out there.

That also plays a role... I do feel compassion for what those animals go through. I also saw myself slowly moving away from meat and dairy, I'm not a fan of it
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ok...I did a lot of research on the vegan lifestyle before deciding to undertake a partial vegan diet for health. I realised that I was consuming too much junk food and sugar and I was feeling like crap. For me, I have been using the vegan way of eating as a starting point for adding a lot more vegies and fruit into my diet, learning about what fats are healthy and discovering that there are plenty of tasty, nutritious vegan options as an alternative to always eating meat products. Currently I follow a kind of "flexitarian diet". It's really about finding what works best for your body and making sure you are getting the fuel you need.

I agree that many people trying to do a full vegan diet end up losing out on nutrients but you have to do your research. For example, I found out that dried mulberries have a lot of iron, vitamin C and other nutrients. Nutritional yeast is high in protein and tastes great mixed into veggie sauces or in mashed potatoes.

But at others have said...don't try to do a vegan diet for 2 weeks expecting to see major weight loss. Weight loss takes time...there are no quick fixes. Eat what makes your body feel and perform at it's best.
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    *currently enjoying a huge bowl of zucchini noodles with acorn squash sauce (with nutritional yeast, herbs and spices*
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Okay 1. There is plenty of pasta you can buy that's vegan. 2. You will only lose muscle of you aren't eating enough or hitting your appropriate macros, not eating animal products doesn't automatically mean you will shrivel up into a weak boney hippy. Just wanted to get that out of the way. But a vegan diet does require Tons of planning and extra prep if you are going to do it correctly. Its still easy to eat junky food cause its easier than cooking. I know plenty of people that gained weight when they transitioned because they got lazy and ate pasta and processed foods all the time. I have to plan my meals ahead of time and I usually precook things on the weekend so I'm not cooking for an hour every night (and I still have a hard time with macros sometimes). If you decide to take the plunge, like others said, make sure to do it for the right reasons, do research (this lifestyle isn't for everyone), and make sure your getting all the nutrients you need :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    TrinNZ wrote: »
    *currently enjoying a huge bowl of zucchini noodles with acorn squash sauce (with nutritional yeast, herbs and spices*

Oooh, could you message that recipe to me Trin?
  • KnowYourWhyDave
    KnowYourWhyDave Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Read Eat to Live for the science behind the vegan diet. My use of almond milk, nutritional yeast and ground flax helped me meet my nutrional requirements. Use MFP to keep track of everything. Yes, calorie deficit is important but so are many of the other vegan benefits.