Interval training vs. Regular Cardio

Options
Is interval training better than cardio for weight loss ? I am plateauing again and need to drop at least 10 lbs in the next two weeks.

Also I haven't really been lifting in the past few weeks and started today. Is this going to make me gain weight if I start lifting 3 days a week ?

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    To me, it all comes down to overall calorie burn. I feel I can burn more calories in a shorter time doing interval training vs. steady-state cardio. I still do both, depending on my mood or the time of day.

10lbs. in 2 weeks is going to come down to your diet for the most part.

Lifting weights does NOT make you gain weight. Excess calories does.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss!

"Is interval training better than cardio for weight loss ?"
    Depends on duration and intensity of both. Hard to beat a 100 mile cycle for burning calories.....

"Also I haven't really been lifting in the past few weeks and started today. Is this going to make me gain weight if I start lifting 3 days a week ?"
    Sore muscles may lead to temporary inflamation - is that what you mean?

" I am plateauing again and need to drop at least 10 lbs in the next two weeks."
    Huh?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Either form of cardio is fine and neither necessarily burns more calories then the other. Intervals will typically burn more calories a minute, but you can only do intervals for so long before you are too fatigued to continue, while many can do steady state cardio for hours if they choose.

Lifting will probably make you retain some water weight for a few days to a week.

10 lbs in 2 weeks? Unless you have a lot of water to lose, that won't happen. That's a 17,500 calorie deficit EACH WEEK! 1-2 lbs a week is much more realistic. Maybe even 3 if you're obese, but 5 lbs a week might be a bit to aggressive.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 2 weeks?!!!!! NO. You don't have realistic weight loss goals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You already have your answer on HIIT vs. steady state cardio. You may see a temporary gain in water weight if you start a new exercise regimen, especially an intense one.

If you don't already know it, weight loss is created from a calorie deficit, it's not about exercise. Since you'd need to burn 35,000 calories more than you eat in the next two weeks to lose 10 pounds of fat, unless you have a lot of water weight to lose, you can see that 10 pounds in two weeks isn't realistic. I'm assuming you have some sort of a weight loss challenge going on otherwise you wouldn't be trying to hit such an overly aggressive goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think 10 Lbs in 2 weeks is a realistic expectation.

At any rate, diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • hawks2488
    hawks2488 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5 in a week before so it's possible. I'm just plateauing the last few weeks and it's aggravating me so I changed up my workout today.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    hawks2488 wrote: »
    I've lost 5 in a week before so it's possible. I'm just plateauing the last few weeks and it's aggravating me so I changed up my workout today.
    At or near the beginning? When it was mostly just water weight.
  • hawks2488
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    At or near the beginning? When it was mostly just water weight.

Yes it happened in the beginning. It was water weight. I can't understand why I am not losing. I am eating 1500 calories a day working out almost every day, watching my sodium and sugars and nothing. I've been plateauing for a few weeks so I just wanted to change things up to see if it helps
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Well tyen, clearly you know better than us, and you don't need our advice.

But, since you did ask for advice, your expectations are too high, especially since you didn't just start the weight loss process (when you see the highest rate if loss).

As others have said, deficit is king; ho we you get there is preference. At one point I loved hiit because I was in and out of the gym. But, I found myself spending more time in the kitchen. So for me, it turns out steady state cardio is better because it is more time not in the house when I don't have self control.
  • hawks2488
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Well tyen, clearly you know better than us, and you don't need our advice.

But, since you did ask for advice, your expectations are too high, especially since you didn't just start the weight loss process (when you see the highest rate if loss).

As others have said, deficit is king; ho we you get there is preference. At one point I loved hiit because I was in and out of the gym. But, I found myself spending more time in the kitchen. So for me, it turns out steady state cardio is better because it is more time not in the house when I don't have self control.

So I know more than everyone in here... really? Please show me where I said that...
  • hawks2488
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok let me ask this. I weigh myself on Friday mornings. Should I not work out on Thursday ? Am I retaining water because I have an intense workout on Thursday ? I admit the ten pound loss is not going to happen. If I could lose 6 in 2 weeks I'll be happy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating 1500 calories or are you netting 1500 calories?
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ok let me ask this. I weigh myself on Friday mornings. Should I not work out on Thursday ? Am I retaining water because I have an intense workout on Thursday ? I admit the ten pound loss is not going to happen. If I could lose 6 in 2 weeks I'll be happy.

Skipping workouts to try to manipulate a weigh-in to appear lower sounds pretty useless to me. You won't actually have any less fat in your body, just a little less water. Why does seeing a smaller number on the scale matter so much? Keep doing the right things and the weight/fat loss will happen.
  • hawks2488
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Eating 1500.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options

No. I'd rather workout, than skip a workout in order to weigh in the next day. Unless you're a competitor, keep working out and don't beat yourself up on the scale.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Are you more concerned with fat losses or how water weight manipulates the number on the scale? If the former is true, do not skip your workout. If the latter is true, then skip that workout, go ultra low sodium the day before as well, maybe even go for a 1-2 hour session in a sauna. You will surely see a lower number on the scale.

As far as fat loss is concerned, the caloric deficit is the main factor. 1500 calories is pretty low for a man. How accurate is your calorie counting? Are you weighing 100% of what you eat on a food scale or do you estimate or use things meant for liquids like cups and spoons? Do you take cheat days? How about eating out?
  • SueInAz
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Eating 1500.
    Are you weighing or at least measuring your food so that you're confident that you're actually eating 1500 calories? If not, you'd be surprised to learn how far off calories for food portions can be if you're just eyeballing them or guessing as opposed to actually weighing the food.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why are you intent on losing 10 pounds in 2 weeks? I see you are backing off on that goal a bit now but what is (was) the significance or 10 pounds in 2 weeks?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah the thing is - if you believe that the number on the scale is the most important indicator of health, then you should just do cardio. No lifting. If you would rather go a route that you'll probably be happier with long-term i.e. overall fitness, then you have to be prepared for the scale to act weird. Try measuring yourself instead, I find that when the scale moves then the measuring tape does not and vice versa.