lost too much weight in a week?

Options
Background -- My overall goal is to lose about 65lbs.

I have been 'dieting', exercising, and logging on MFP for about 21 days.
Mondays are my weigh in day -- and today I lost 4.5lbs from last week. I have lost a total of 12.5lbs so far.

Experts always say to plan on losing 1-2lbs per week for healthy weight loss. I know the first week you often lose more b/c of water weight, etc.

Should I be concerned that I lost 4.5lbs week 3? Or just enjoy it and not worry!

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy it. Plus it could have been a "whoosh" effect. http://www.earlytorise.com/fat-loss-whoosh-effect/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it at this point. During the first several weeks, it is common to lose far faster than the recommended rate. It is generally due to water weight loss. As long as you have entered your info correctly into MFP (current weight, height, activity level, etc.) and then eat your calorie goal plus (at least a portion of) your exercise calories, you will see your rate loss slow to a more "normal" rate.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    pippin44 wrote: »
    Background -- My overall goal is to lose about 65lbs.

I have been 'dieting', exercising, and logging on MFP for about 21 days.
    Mondays are my weigh in day -- and today I lost 4.5lbs from last week. I have lost a total of 12.5lbs so far.

Experts always say to plan on losing 1-2lbs per week for healthy weight loss. I know the first week you often lose more b/c of water weight, etc.

Should I be concerned that I lost 4.5lbs week 3? Or just enjoy it and not worry!
    Since it's early on in the process, it's probably a lot of water weight being lost. This rate of loss won't keep up. Also with only 1 day a week weighing, its possible you just weighed in on the low point of the week. You may have been at your high point of the week last weigh in. Honestly I wouldn't worry a bit.