Core Confusion - The Truth About Squats & Deads

Options
t-nation.com/training/core-confusion

For those of you that don't want to read the whole article here are the key points,

- A few studies claim that multi-joint, free-weight exercises such as squats and deadlifts activate "core" muscles better than isolation core exercises. These studies have led many people to mistakenly think that all they need to do to strengthen the abs and obliques are squats and deadlifts.

-Subsequent research has shown that squats and deads don't even come close to creating the levels of activation in the rectus abdominis that the push-up does.

-People define the word "core" incorrectly. It's not just your deep spinal stabilizers, abs, and lower back. It's your entire torso minus your arms and legs.

-The Swiss ball rollout and the Swiss ball pike are the most effective in activating the abs and obliques, prompting the author to create the "pike rollout."

Does that first bullet-point sound like any conversations that you've seen on MFP more often than not? I don't typically reference magazine or web-site articles too much but I feel this one was pretty well put together. In school I've had to do a lot of different research and when it's related to Core training, I've seen the same information that the above author discusses. Squats and Deadlifts are truly great exercises but they do not adequately develop everything on their own. Let the *kitten*-storm begin! LOL

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I agree that abs should be trained directly at least once a week; however, for most people doing heavy squats and deads is sufficient because they're not trying to win a powerifting competition or anything. I'd also like to see the difference in abdominal activation on squats w/ and w/out a powerlifting belt. I seem to get much greater activation with a belt on because I have something to push my abs against.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I was hoping someone would post this. I get so tired of hearing that just squat/deadlift for "core" nonsense
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I agree that abs should be trained directly at least once a week; however, for most people doing heavy squats and deads is sufficient because they're not trying to win a powerifting competition or anything. I'd also like to see the difference in abdominal activation on squats w/ and w/out a powerlifting belt. I seem to get much greater activation with a belt on because I have something to push my abs against.

Since being in school the biggest reason I promote Core development is for injury prevention more than anything. The Core musculature support so much of your basic movement and if one does not develop it accordingly there is some risk of injury. As far as doing Core training to further develop strength like one would for competition, well that's a different matter. I do think that most people do need some extra work to improve strength in their abs, obliques, lower back (QL), lats, and glutes.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I was hoping someone would post this. I get so tired of hearing that just squat/deadlift for "core" nonsense

It's kind of funny because all of that discussion has kind of helped me pick a topic for my final research paper for graduation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    "Functional training" focuses much more on "core" work than many standard exercises today. Initially designed for physical rehab, it's now part of the fitness evolution with all the balance balls, Bosu balls, suspension trainers, etc.
    I do emphasize core work for all my clients NOT so that they can get 6 pack abs, but moreso so that they know how to their abs, obliques and low back in just about any lift.
    Lots of people can back squat easily, but an overhead squat is so much more difficult due to balance and stabilization. Same with dead lifts and doing a ball pike.
    Overall, I believe people should apply whatever training method they prefer for not only every day life, work and health, but also whatever sports, physical activity, or physical hobbies (like martial arts, motocross or horseback riding) they intend on participating in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I seem to get much greater activation with a belt on because I have something to push my abs against.

It's funny that you mention that; it would be good info to look at. I've noticed in my own training that especially when I'm going for a max effort lift of some kind and use belt, that I've felt my obliques and abs burn so there is definitely some activation going on there.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve never believed squats and deadlifts activate the abs and lower back more than direct work, but I do believe there are limited reasons to do a ton of accessory work for abs. Your primary usage of the core is for stability (isometric) and working the muscles in an isometric way provides the most appropriate, direct benefit. There may be some twisting motions where concentric/eccentric movements would be valuable (baseball, softball, tennis, golf) but those are specific applications and won’t apply to everyone.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I’ve never believed squats and deadlifts activate the abs and lower back more than direct work, but I do believe there are limited reasons to do a ton of accessory work for abs. Your primary usage of the core is for stability (isometric) and working the muscles in an isometric way provides the most appropriate, direct benefit. There may be some twisting motions where concentric/eccentric movements would be valuable (baseball, softball, tennis, golf) but those are specific applications and won’t apply to everyone.

Yeah, a couple exercises and few sets is really fine. Often people tend to think that when you're told you need to train something that it automatically means you have to annihilate that muscle / muscle group and that's not the case. We can probably chalk-that-up to modern fitness people like Jillian Michaels etc that make people believe unless you're hurting and puking after exercise that you didn't do anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Just to put in that breathing technique and how to breathe through the "core" makes a lot of difference too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png