Bodypump, cardio and HRM...

Options
Hi lovely peeps...

I have a fitness tracker with HRM which I wear to all my classes / activities. I am a big Les Mills fan and do 3 combat classes and 3 pump classes a week. I notice I burn around 350 calories in a pump class. Whilst I don't consider pump to be cardio (I'd burn 600 doing an hour of combat or thereabouts) evidently my body does think it's doing cardio. I know that obviously lifting weights increases heart rate but do I include these calories in my daily count? Does it matter where I get them from as long as my heart rate is up? I'm trying not to weigh myself (I get unhealthy fed up!) but don't want to eat calories that don't belong to me :)

Jules xx

Replies

• carosmiffy
    carosmiffy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log my BodyPump calories. My heart rate can really spike up during that class, especially during the squat and back tracks (all those cling & presses...whew!). A calorie burned is a calorie burned, in my opinion...
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!!! I noticed mine was high after both as well.... And zone 3 for most of the rest of the time, which for me is 130s. I love pump so much :) thanks for replying! Xx
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does it matter where I get them from as long as my heart rate is up?

Heart rate is not a good indicator of calorie expenditure in the types of activities that you're talking about. You'll be getting massively overinflated figres from an HRM.

Just log them as circuit training for the duration.
  • Missyjules1974
    Options
    Does it matter where I get them from as long as my heart rate is up?

Heart rate is not a good indicator of calorie expenditure in the types of activities that you're talking about. You'll be getting massively overinflated figres from an HRM.

Will I not end up under eating? I'm happy to stick to my basic 1200. Have tried TDEE but it seems to give me weigh more calories than I actually burn if I wear my HRM for 24 hours. Confused!! Xx
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The higher the heart rate, the more accurate the HRM reading. So for a period in zone 3 the calorie burn reported by the HRM will be a lot higher than reality. What you can do is cut that number in half, or some other ratio and see how that works. Yes, you do what to feed your exercise. Just be careful not to overeat due to the HRM being wrong.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    The higher the heart rate, the more accurate the HRM reading.

Within certain limits, when it gets above about 85% MHR the relationship breaks down again.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Will I not end up under eating? I'm happy to stick to my basic 1200. Have tried TDEE but it seems to give me weigh more calories than I actually burn if I wear my HRM for 24 hours. Confused!! Xx

They're all approximations, but the corollary of undereating is that if you rely on the HRM then you'll overeat.

If you log using the generic description and time then you have a degree of consistency, so that as you track how your weight develops over time you'll understand whether you're ahead of target, in which case your deficit is a bit greater than planned, or behind target, in which case your deficit is smaller than planned. That'll allow you to tune your intake to compensate.

If you rely on your HRM the error will be unpredictable, so your confidence in that tweaking and compensating model should be much lower.
  • Missyjules1974
    Options
    Blah!! It's all too scientific for me!! I bought the HRM to be MORE accurate. I sometimes think I should just stop with MFP and tracking and be more instinctive (or care less!) thanks for your responses guys xxx