Do Hooded Eyelids go?

Options
Does anyone know if they disappear/get better once you've lost all the extra pounds?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't think so. I think hooded eyelids are a genetic feature, not having anything to do with weight.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but when I get below about 120 pounds I get that big bright eyed look. Above that weight, and my eyes seem pretty small. It's probably just the whole face shape thing, though, I doubt I have fat on my eyelids!
  • JackPudding
    JackPudding Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I definitely got mine when I put on 7stone!
  • JackPudding
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    I don't know, but when I get below about 120 pounds I get that big bright eyed look. Above that weight, and my eyes seem pretty small. It's probably just the whole face shape thing, though, I doubt I have fat on my eyelids!

Roughly at what body fat percentage did you see the 'bright eye look' ;)
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    well, losing weight generally means you'll lose weight in your face as well, but as far as hooded eyelids, they probably won't change that much and I'd say you'd need a plastic surgeon for that.
  • Jolinia
    Options

%21 and under I think. Maybe my cheek fat was pushing up from below? Not sure. But I definitely notice a difference.
  • JackPudding
    Options

%21 and under I think. Maybe my cheek fat was pushing up from below? Not sure. But I definitely notice a difference.

Yeah, I think my forehead fat pushes them down or something...I was looking at old photos of me when i was skinny and my eyes just look some much more prominent!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    well, losing weight generally means you'll lose weight in your face as well, but as far as hooded eyelids, they probably won't change that much and I'd say you'd need a plastic surgeon for that.

Yes, I would agree with this. I have them, and it's genetic - and a bummer as they're getting worse every year.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have them, and have always had them. Unless there is a massive amount of fat on one's face, I highly doubt they will go away with weight loss.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

Yes, I would agree with this. I have them, and it's genetic - and a bummer as they're getting worse every year.

OMG, are you saying gravity attacks eyelids, too? Like it wasn't bad enough with the boob downward trend!
  • 4leighbee
    Options

OMG, are you saying gravity attacks eyelids, too? Like it wasn't bad enough with the boob downward trend!

haha ... 'fraid so. And I barely wore makeup so minimal tugging at the skin. Just all getting a little looser. This is an awful line of discussion and now I shall go pretend like it never happened, lol! jk
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    My hooded eyes are genetic and have gotten worse with 1) age and 2) weight gain. I'll just deal with them unless they begin to interfere with my vision.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Your eyes generally stay the same size. But if you lose weight in your face, your eyes will look bigger in comparison to the rest of your face.

Doubt it'll have anything to do with hooded eyelids, though. Eye and lid shape tend to be fairly genetic.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    My hooded eyes are genetic and have gotten worse with 1) age and 2) weight gain. I'll just deal with them unless they begin to interfere with my vision.

Is it awful (yes, it is) to say that I almost wish they'd interfere with my vision so I can get them corrected under medical codes, insurance will pay and I don't have to feel guilty for getting plastic surgery? haha ...
  • Jolinia
    Options

haha ... 'fraid so. And I barely wore makeup so minimal tugging at the skin. Just all getting a little looser. This is an awful line of discussion and now I shall go pretend like it never happened, lol! jk

I'm going to wipe away my angry tears and pretend it never happened, too. Also adding 'move to a lower gravity planet' to my bucket list!
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a plastic surgeon....they are genetic, and get worse with age. If they affect your vision, insurance usually covers it as a medical necessity. Otherwise, it is out of pocket and considered cosmetic. Maybe you could start saving and let that be the ultimate "treat" when you reach your goal weight! :)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    Blepharoplasty is the only way to get rid of hooded eyes I'm afraid. :(
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I got mine at a certain age, as opposed to at a certain weight :( So I'm pretty sure they are not going anywhere by themselves.