Anyone train Muay Thai?

Options
Wanted to meet other people that are into Muay Thai! ❤❤❤

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I did it for most of my life, then took a few years off and did strictly powerlifting/strongman and am now back to training MT and BJJ.
  • pebs1081
    pebs1081 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I do it twice a week at my gym and genuinely just LOVE it!! Every time I mention it to someone they have no idea what I am talking about.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Are you planning on fighting at some point?
  • pebs1081
    Options

Lofteren wrote: »
    Are you planning on fighting at some point?

As of now? No... I'm just focusing on getting my kicks stronger! One day at a time...!
  • Lofteren
    Options
    You'll get there. Get your form down and they'll hit harder without you putting out any more effort. Hard strikes are all about efficient movement, not the amount of exertion.
  • pebs1081
    Options
    I am definitely a little stiff on the kicks! Lol But I'm getting way better then I used to be 6months ago!! I look forward to it each week..wish my coached had more classes.
  • pebs1081
    Options
    Coach***
  • reddplanet
    reddplanet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME! I suck at it, tremendously. I just started 2 weeks ago though. I am ridiculously awful. I don't know what everything is yet, so I just stare at the Kru like a deer in headlights when they're like do this and that. I go at a martial arts studio that does MT, BJJ and Karate. They also teach Ginastica Natural at the end of the night.

I don't plan to fight, but I need to know how to do it right, to defend myself and hopefully not be such a lard@ss. I wish that it was correctly listed in Fitness for exercise. TurboJam is not the same thing!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sure do. Ive been doing mt for around 8 years now and bjj for about 5.5 years . It's a blast, but I still love lifting.
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I joined just so I had an excuse to wear awesome sparring shorts lol. Joking but I did take BJJ for about a year and got in pretty great shape...sadly I got out of shape again.
  • pebs1081
    Options
    Oh dang!! I am sooo bad at this!! Didn't even know I had anymore replies!
  • pebs1081
    Options
    reddplanet wrote: »
    ME ME ME! I suck at it, tremendously. I just started 2 weeks ago though. I am ridiculously awful. I don't know what everything is yet, so I just stare at the Kru like a deer in headlights when they're like do this and that. I go at a martial arts studio that does MT, BJJ and Karate. They also teach Ginastica Natural at the end of the night.

I don't plan to fight, but I need to know how to do it right, to defend myself and hopefully not be such a lard@ss. I wish that it was correctly listed in Fitness for exercise. TurboJam is not the same thing!

I think I am pretty awful too! LOL but I absolutely love it and genuinely look forward to going to class each week twice a week! So glad to meet you!
  • pebs1081
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Sure do. Ive been doing mt for around 8 years now and bjj for about 5.5 years . It's a blast, but I still love lifting.

That's awesome!!! I can't get into bjj ..I watch all the chicks do it at NY gym and I give them kudos!! But I do love Muay Thai!
  • pebs1081
    Options
    I joined just so I had an excuse to wear awesome sparring shorts lol. Joking but I did take BJJ for about a year and got in pretty great shape...sadly I got out of shape again.

Let's not lie here...we all know you did it just for the sparring shorts. Let's me real!!
  • pebs1081
    Options
    Be*
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yep i do, have a bout on Sunday :)
  • reddplanet
    reddplanet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I mean, they are some spectacularly flouncy shorts. Who WOULDN'T wanna wear them.
  • angrydw4rf
    angrydw4rf Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Trained muy thai and bjj for the last 5 years. I just started on a haitus though. I fell out of love with training :-( I'll be back though, I just need the bug to bite me again. Even though I haven't been to my martial arts gym in almost a month, I still get bag work in at my lifting gym, hopefully I won't get too rusty.

I've been frustrated though, with some training partners who feel the need to "win" all the time, especially when we're working on more finesse / timing oriented issues, or working some boxing in - If we are working on slipping and bobbing and weaving, I would love if my partners would reign it in a bit. I have great success when I start slow but smooth and work the pace up. Even when I'm comfortable with more speed, I also like to practice slow and smooth to reinforce being more relaxed during movements. Getting amped up in live sparring is one thing, but I just don't understand how during a drills these guys and gals can't understand "slow it down"

You guys deal with this over aggressiveness as well? Its not like they are going out there to bang 100% every time, just constantly ramping the pace up, when that isn't the goal at the moment.

I don't have the same issues in jiu jitsu - if I adopt a more "flow roll" pace, my partners seem to adjust accordingly, automatically.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    angrydw4rf wrote: »
    Trained muy thai and bjj for the last 5 years. I just started on a haitus though. I fell out of love with training :-( I'll be back though, I just need the bug to bite me again. Even though I haven't been to my martial arts gym in almost a month, I still get bag work in at my lifting gym, hopefully I won't get too rusty.

I've been frustrated though, with some training partners who feel the need to "win" all the time, especially when we're working on more finesse / timing oriented issues, or working some boxing in - If we are working on slipping and bobbing and weaving, I would love if my partners would reign it in a bit. I have great success when I start slow but smooth and work the pace up. Even when I'm comfortable with more speed, I also like to practice slow and smooth to reinforce being more relaxed during movements. Getting amped up in live sparring is one thing, but I just don't understand how during a drills these guys and gals can't understand "slow it down"

You guys deal with this over aggressiveness as well? Its not like they are going out there to bang 100% every time, just constantly ramping the pace up, when that isn't the goal at the moment.

i train in a very thai style focused gym, as the thais train the sparring is very very very light almost playing a game of tag.

Yes you do get the odd douche bag ofcourse
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Can anyone point me towards a good Muay Thai 101 link, or perhaps (generously) sum up what I could expect from it? My cousin has a Muay Thai gym around the corner, and it's crossed my mind to give it a go, but I just don't know what to expect or if it would be for me. Anything any Muay Thai afficionado's could share would be greatly appreciated - I love to see from passionate people what inspires their passion :smile: