Weight loss = feeling poorly

Options
Since October 2014 I have lost approx 11kg and I have never had so many episodes of feeling poorly. I have had Flu then a chest infection and now I have sickness and diarrhoea. Does ones immune system take a dive when doing heavy cardio sessions or am I just unlucky picking all these bugs up. Anyone else find they are sick a lot more since losing weight and getting fit ?

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If I let my deficit get too large (especially not eating back exercise calories) my energy and immune system seem to suffer, though it's also that time of year. Perhaps lower your deficit and see if it helps?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Were you on antibiotics, because they are more likely to lower your immune response as some of them can kill off some of the bacteria in your gut that are part of the body's immune defences.

Some say to take acidophilus to help boost your system

11kg over 5 months is not a huge defecit ...I doubt it's that unless you're not getting a good nutritional balance
  • CalleyJ390
    CalleyJ390 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might not be getting all the nutrients you need in your diet to keep your immune system running at its peak performance. I'd make sure that you're at least taking a daily multivitamin and I also take a daily zinc tablet. Zinc is helpful at boosting your immune system-- since I started taking daily zinc I haven't been sick all winter despite having a ton of sick contacts.
    Also, what's the quality of the food you eat? The best foods are fresh fruits and veggies at helping build a healthy immune system. Convenience foods don't have that benefit.

Hope this helps!
  • captainjorge
    Options
    If your energy is typically in the pits then yes you should take another look at what and how much you are eating. Gotta have fuel in the tank - don't run on fumes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It probably has more to do with not eating the right nutrients.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I was told by a friend who is a R.N. that while eating at a deficit one should take a multivitamin.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    I was told by a friend who is a R.N. that while eating at a deficit one should take a multivitamin.

This too! I take one and calcium with D, too. Still feel cruddy and get sick when I have too steep of a calorie deficit, though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is stress on the body. You can mitigate that by making sure your deficit isn't too large and by making sure you're getting adequate nutrients.

Could also just be chance.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to get your sleep! If you feel cruddy, it could be because of lack of vitamins and minerals that you need for a boosted immune system. The gym has PLENTY of nasty germs and such so if you've got a low immune system, you will pick that up pretty quickly. Sleep helps repair things too, so if you are sick, stock up on the vitamin C and get your sleep! :D
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Im trying to eat a fairly balanced diet. I have a lot of chicken, eggs, veg, rice and beef. I have cut down on pasta and bread but get my carbs though sweet potato and rice mainly. I don't take any multi vitamins perhaps that may be an idea. I eat approx 1600 calories a day but usually don't make up my exercise deficit so some days I struggle to hit my 1600 calories a day.

My wife actually dosnt like my weight loss new look she says im looking old and saggy but I havnt hit my ideal weight yet so I don't really want to start building muscle yet. You just cant win :(

Im 5.9 feet 47 year old and 13.6 stone and not really sure how far to take this weight loss. According to various charts I should be about 12.5 stone but I think I would look really ill at this weight. Ive already dropped from a 38 inch jean to 34 inch.

Thanks for your input so far folks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Im trying to eat a fairly balanced diet. I have a lot of chicken, eggs, veg, rice and beef. I have cut down on pasta and bread but get my carbs though sweet potato and rice mainly. I don't take any multi vitamins perhaps that may be an idea. I eat approx 1600 calories a day but usually don't make up my exercise deficit so some days I struggle to hit my 1600 calories a day.

My wife actually dosnt like my weight loss new look she says im looking old and saggy but I havnt hit my ideal weight yet so I don't really want to start building muscle yet. You just cant win :(

Im 5.9 feet 47 year old and 13.6 stone and not really sure how far to take this weight loss. According to various charts I should be about 12.5 stone but I think I would look really ill at this weight. Ive already dropped from a 38 inch jean to 34 inch.

Thanks for your input so far folks

My advice is to start lifting now. You'll have more trouble building back the muscle you lost then you would if you just made sure to keep it in the first place.
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Were you on antibiotics, because they are more likely to lower your immune response as some of them can kill off some of the bacteria in your gut that are part of the body's immune defences.

Yeah I was taking Anti B for my chest infection just before I got sickness and diarrhoea
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. You won't bulk up in a calorie deficit, but lifting heavy will help you retain your muscle and not look saggy, as you're saying.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ^^ I weigh less than you and I eat more than you do! I gross anywhere between 2000-2200 right now, aim is to lose ~0.5lb/week. So I'm going to echo those who said you aren't eating enough.

Are you not eating back exercise calories? That worsens your not-eating-enough situation.

I'd suggest lowering your goal to 0.5lb/week (or the lowest weight loss option in your system) and eating back at least half of your exercise calories. Alternatively, you could eat at maintenance (no weight loss) for a while and lift some weights. You should be lifting throughout the weight loss period if your goal is to increase musculature in the future or to simply retain as much lean mass as possible right now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yeah I was taking Anti B for my chest infection just before I got sickness and diarrhoea

Then you should take probiotics
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Start lifting now. You won't bulk up in a calorie deficit, but lifting heavy will help you retain your muscle and not look saggy, as you're saying.

Do I not need to eat over maintenance calories to build muscle though ? and will this not put weight on again
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Do I not need to eat over maintenance calories to build muscle though ? and will this not put weight on again

Yes but you can preserve what you already have so you don't lose it from dieting down.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Also you might want to get yourself to the doctor. Last time I was sick with diarrhea and just felt horrible, I wound up unable to eat properly for 4 days, lived in the bathroom, fainted, and forced my parents to bring me to the ER. I wound up in the ER and ICU for 3 days. Septic shock, and they had no idea what else was wrong with me after doing numerous blood tests (also IV in my NECK, uuugh). Antibiotics helped clear it up though.

ETA not saying you have septic shock lol. but just saying that if you seriously feel crappy (no pun intended) then go to the doctor.
  • ana3067
    Options

Yes, you do. And yes, it will put more weight on you if you eat at a surplus while lifting.

Lift weights while losing weight to help preserve lean body mass.