Do you think my scales are broken?

Options
Yesterday i weighed 11 stone 9lbs, weigh today and was 11.13lbs i know your weight goes up and down daily but i thought it was just by 2.2lbs i am the only one who used them and they are digital, i didn't do anything differently yesterday except i did a few more reps on the weight machines at the gym and upped the weight on some machines but that's about it. I know i shouldn't weigh myself daily but i am obsessed with doing it, it is rather annoying because i do admittedly feel like crap now its gone up. Feel great when it goes down.

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh often, you have to understand that fluctuations are normal. I am burning more than I consume and I am very confident that I am losing (and every few days, the scale agrees). Since my weight is moving in that direction, I claim the lowest weight I have seen recently as my weight and don't let the fluctuations bother me. If I went a week or more without seeing the lowest weight again (or better yet a lower reading) then I would start to assess whether or not something has changed that is causing me not to lose and would have to consider recent readings as being my actual weight. That hasn't happened. So if you are currently dropping weight over a longer time, don't worry about the day to day.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I exercise my weight moves very slowly and fluctuates a lot, but I do notice that my clothes fit looser so I am obviously losing something. If I don't exercise my weight goes down faster and fluctuates less. I do weigh myself everyday so I know I am on track diet-wise, but I have found when I get stuck at a certain weight or it tends to fluctuate a lot I grab the measuring tape and see the changes there.
  • HapThompson
    HapThompson Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What 55in13 said, fluctuations of that much are pretty normal. I do exactly as they do and track daily changes but keep an eye on where I am in relation to my lowest weight. So many things can affect you daily, amount of sodium, time of the month, even when you last went to the toilet... As long as the general trend over a week or so is downwards, the odd fluctuations like ths are normal.
  • HapThompson
    HapThompson Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Apologies for double post but... Thank you for this alwayssohungry! I've just started going to the gym three times a week (running, elliptical and some lifting) and feel like my weightloss has slowed right down and stalled a bit. I'm eating the same and have no worries about my food intake, the only thing I've changed has been the amount of exercise I'm doing. Since I'm still eating at a deficit I can't believe I'm building muscle so it puzzles me. However, exactly as you say, my clothes are fitting looser. So nice to know that I'm not alone in experiencing that!

I'm frustrated by the stalling scales, but very chuffed that I can now run for 24 minutes without stopping.