Talk to me about protein shakes

Options

Replies

• JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    int3rpo1 wrote: »
    Various protein shakes? What kind do you have? Also you won't get "bulky" unless you start to do some serious lifting. Do expect confusion in your weight though. Kettleball workouts will likely add muscle to you body, which is relatively heavy.

NO. With the exception of newbie gains, one does not build muscle in a deficit.

Duh. She is a newbie.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Linville10 wrote: »
    Hello. I started working two weeks ago. Currently I'm on week two of couch to 5k and will be adding in two days of kettlebell workouts. I have various protein shakes but I don't know if I should be drinking them with the type of workouts I do. If I should be drinking them, what kind do you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated since I know nothing about protein shakes. I'm a female have about 90 lbs to lose and don't want to be bulky. Thanks.

You will not be bulky unless you bodybuild for a year and cut a signifigant amout of your fat that covers your muscles. LIFT heavy, lift to failure, build muscle.

Cut out the shakes and bars until you can get your overall carbs below 40% of your caloric intake. they suck for the most part unless you use them wisely while powerlifting.
  • tlwzo035
    Options
    Hello. I started working two weeks ago. Currently I'm on week two of couch to 5k and will be adding in two days of kettlebell workouts. I have various protein shakes but I don't know if I should be drinking them with the type of workouts I do. If I should be drinking them, what kind do you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated since I know nothing about protein shakes. I'm a female have about 90 lbs to lose and don't want to be bulky. Thanks.

• tlwzo035
    Options
    Hi my favorite protein shake is premier protein vanilla and strawberry. You can get it at SAMs club or Costco or walmart. The vanilla is great if you add ice and a Starbucks via. Tastes just like iced coffee.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Could've been newbie gainzz, entirely possible.

It's actually the only possibility.

Not true. and you will repeat me next week.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know I have a whey protein shake and a couple other tubs of shakes that my husband has bought at one time or another. I'm doing kettlebell workouts to lose weight and tone my muscles. I have my settings at losing 2 lbs a week so I'm allowed 1200 calories.

Are you eating back some of your exercise calories as you should be.

Not for weight lifting, because it's too difficult to figure out those calories. However, cardio exercise calories should be eaten back. MFP vastly overestimates, so about half is usually good.

However, 1200 calories sounds like too few calories.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm oh so tired of people saying that the reason I'm gaining weight is because I'm exercising and building muscle which weighs more than fat. The reason I was gaining was because I was eating too much and exercising too little. Now that I've reversed the trend, I've lost weight but more important, lost LOTS of inches. Fat doesn't weigh as much as muscle, yet over 50% of your body weight is water. So just keep eating less and moving more and the fat will drop off, the muscle will build, and you will be healthier after all.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

No it isn't. Here's two studies where LBM and strength increased as fat mass was lost in elite athletes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21896944
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn (abstracts only, sorry)

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/58/4/561.long
    Muscle gains in weight training obese females during 800 cal/day diets verified by biopsy.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822398000947
    Loss of fat and gains in fat-free mass (lbm) in normal weight women eating ad libitum while weight training.

LBM and muscle can be gained as fat is lost (and fat is only lost in a calorie deficit). This can happen in both trained (non-newbie) and untrained individuals. The gain in muscle may mask some fat loss, and I've read posts from people who end up happy at higher weights than they expected to, as the last time they were at that weight they were significantly less muscled. In people who are already lean, a smaller deficit is recommended to protect LBM when restricting calories to lose fat. Bulking/cutting is faster, and less frustrating, but it is possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit, for both newbies and more experienced lifters.
  • thisismyfinalemailaddress
    Options
    Well I just got the sleeve surgery done a few days ago. Was put on a strict diet ofcourse. I can drink Protein shakes with low sugar and atleast 30g Protein, water, low sodium V8, Vegetable broth and pedialight.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    sarika61 wrote: »
    No protein shakes at all. Just eat sensible diet of lean protein in meat, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. Plus fruits amd veggies and a little complex carbs, according to your daily calorie limit. Protein shakes are a weight gain tool, and you are overweight.

Lol no

Protein shakes are not a weight gain tool. They simply provide you with protein. If you use them and go over your calorie limit then you will gain weight, but if you use them and stay under your calorie limit you will lose weight.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Ok. Thanks.

No it isn't. Here's two studies where LBM and strength increased as fat mass was lost in elite athletes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn (abstracts only, sorry)

Muscle gains in weight training obese females during 800 cal/day diets verified by biopsy.

Loss of fat and gains in fat-free mass (lbm) in normal weight women eating ad libitum while weight training.

LBM and muscle can be gained as fat is lost (and fat is only lost in a calorie deficit). This can happen in both trained (non-newbie) and untrained individuals. The gain in muscle may mask some fat loss, and I've read posts from people who end up happy at higher weights than they expected to, as the last time they were at that weight they were significantly less muscled. In people who are already lean, a smaller deficit is recommended to protect LBM when restricting calories to lose fat. Bulking/cutting is faster, and less frustrating, but it is possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit, for both newbies and more experienced lifters.

Lol no.

In the first two studies the LBM was small compared to the fat loss and more importantly they lost weigh.

The person you are referencing is gaining weigh. They are not gaining muscle at a rate that masks fat loss.

If they had gained a little weight but then it levelled off I would say they had newbie gains then ending up doing a slow recomp. But they said their weight is steadily rising. So they are not in a deficit.

Did you even read the third study? They didn't gain muscle, in fact 24% of the weight they lost was from LBM. It states that weight loss at a severe deficit is not affected by lifting and it doesn't alter the composition of the weight loss.

And the fourth is discussing body recomp. You'll note that there was no significant change in body mass.

None of these studies back up your assertions.

Fat is lost and muscle gained when eating at maintance or slightly above in a recomp. Not in a deficit bar initial newbie gains that at most will be a lb or two if you're really lucky.

The person is gaining weight steadily. They are not in a deficit.

The people who were happy at a higher weight than they expected still lost weight. This doesn't mean they continued to build muscle as they lost weight, just that they kept what they had unlike a lot of dieters.

Sigh.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

In the first two studies the LBM was small compared to the fat loss and more importantly they lost weigh.

The person you are referencing is gaining weigh. They are not gaining muscle at a rate that masks fat loss.

If they had gained a little weight but then it levelled off I would say they had newbie gains then ending up doing a slow recomp. But they said their weight is steadily rising. So they are not in a deficit.

Did you even read the third study? They didn't gain muscle, in fact 24% of the weight they lost was from LBM. It states that weight loss at a severe deficit is not affected by lifting and it doesn't alter the composition of the weight loss.

And the fourth is discussing body recomp. You'll note that there was no significant change in body mass.

Fat is lost and muscle gained when eating at maintance or slightly above in a recomp. Not in a deficit bar initial newbie gains that at most will be a lb or two if you're really lucky.

The people who were happy at a higher weight than they expected still lost weight. This doesn't mean they continued to build muscle as they lost weight, just that they kept what they had unlike a lot of dieters.

Sigh.

Such is the nature of the internet "I shall quote these studies, without reading or comprehending them, and blind you with broscience conclusions that have no validity...because that is how I roll. "

The sad thing is that most people who do this have no idea that's what they're doing..they are honest in their own conviction that what they've been told, heard or read, is just fact ...it's not even their fault...it's the way our society works, it's the basis of filling tabloid media and it's our low concentration span and inability to "do science"
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

Such is the nature of the internet "I shall quote these studies, without reading or comprehending them, and blind you with broscience conclusions that have no validity...because that is how I roll. "

The sad thing is that most people who do this have no idea that's what they're doing..they are honest in their own conviction that what they've been told, heard or read, is just fact ...it's not even their fault...it's the way our society works, it's the basis of filling tabloid media and it's our low concentration span and inability to "do science"

I also think that since they know most people won't read the studies they think they're safe.

I however love learning new stuff I esp found the third study about weight lifting on a 800 cal diet interesting, as I assumed those lifting would lose less lbm but they didn't. :noway:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Not true. and you will repeat me next week.

REALLY, please provide data to prove how you defy science.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Did you even read these???? I'm going to guess not, since as Iron_feline pointed out, you have no clear understanding. I will not beat the horse.
    The bolded part above is due to re-comp. YES, I HAVE been doing one for the last 6 months (a very slow process). I am NOT gaining muscle (my time for newbie gains are past), I AM getting stronger.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    sarika61 wrote: »
    No protein shakes at all. Just eat sensible diet of lean protein in meat, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. Plus fruits amd veggies and a little complex carbs, according to your daily calorie limit. Protein shakes are a weight gain tool, and you are overweight.

No they're not. They're a convenient way to hit your protein macro. Gaining weight only happens in a surplus (true weight gain, not day to day fluctuations) . I drank protein shakes while I was overweight. Lost weight fine...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

No, that isn't true. Body builders love to talk about these newbie gains. The actual problem is that body builders reduce their body fat percentages to dangerously low levels so that any calorie deficit will result in significant muscle loss, just because they don't have enough fat to supply the energy they need. For normal people, it is certainly possible to get the required energy from fat while building muscle. If the calorie deficit is small, gaining weight is certainly possible.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

No, that isn't true. Body builders love to talk about these newbie gains. The actual problem is that body builders reduce their body fat percentages to dangerously low levels so that any calorie deficit will result in significant muscle loss, just because they don't have enough fat to supply the energy they need. For normal people, it is certainly possible to get the required energy from fat while building muscle. If the calorie deficit is small, gaining weight is certainly possible.

Any science to back up your opinion?

Studies that actually back it up would be nice. So far we haven't seen any.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Any science to back up your opinion?

Studies that actually back it up would be nice. So far we haven't seen any.

It wouldn't do any good because some body builder would just say, "that's just newbie gains" as if that is the answer to everything. The simple fact that fat has 4 or 5 times the number of calories that muscle having the same mass has is sufficient to tell us that it is possible.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Or water retention in the muscles