Chia Seeds and there benefits?

Options
Hello, I joined yesterday to this site however i have being eating chia seeds for the last 2 weeks on and off and what i eat about 6 tea spoons a day ( I mix them with water to get the jelly like substance for the intestine detox as well) By the looks of things there nutritional value is amazing and they also expand in your stomach as well as providing fibre. Have they aided anyone else? And has anyone had any bad side effects?

Replies

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I also use organic chia seeds. I sprinkle them in my hot dishes, salads and my smoothies. They make a great thickener to soups and stews. I even put them in my oatmeal. No bad side effects yet. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I put a tbs (60ish) calories, into my smoothie most days. I have it for the extra protein, fibre and good fats they contain.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love making chia pudding. 1 or 2 tbsp with whatever milk I have and some fruit or protein powder. Filling. Sometimes I add them to other dishes to fill me up
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have heard of health benefits for them and I saw a good size bag today for a dollar so I got it. I'm looking forward to trying some in my food.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "intestinal detox," but chia seeds do have good fiber.

I often throw a teaspoon or two on my salad. I do the same with flaxseed--also great nutritionally, but they tend to cost less than chia.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is good, texture-wise. I dont find chia seeds worth the calories tho. I have a bag of them taking up space in my freezer.
    But yes, good for fiber, just a lot of cals for not a lot of taste or volume.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I dont believe in detox, but eat the chia seeds for the fiber and omega it provides me :)
    And yes great way to get soups etc thicker or make puddings too. :)

76145189.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This always reminds me of a plant growing in my stomach

and now I'm creeped out forever!
    01xr1iapws0l.jpeg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading that the omega in them isn't easily processed and/or bio-available (my memory on this is fuzzy), but they're good for fiber and add a nice crunch to baked goods.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    They help with hydration, and feeling full longer, but IMO too caloric.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't think they fill you enough for how calorie dense they are.