how much protein you really need ?

Options
Like in the title , how much do you needs and how much do you personnaly eat ? Protein is my least favorite macro of them all and I hate to cook meat lol. Is there apoint for me to eat close to 1g/lb if im not a bodybuilder ? Thanks guys

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I aim for 180g a day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It is not necessary to eat 1g per lb. Many people like to do that as a safety net but it's not necessary. If you are activity participating in training you want to make sure that you do get at least an adequate amount of protein to maintain the lbm you do have. Stop thinking about it in terms of being a bodybuilder or not. You want to make sure you get enough protein to have a positive or an equalibrium nitrogen balance.

Getting from .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight will suffice. That really should not be difficult at all to get in. I personally currently weigh 162 lbs and if I get anywhere from 120-130g of protein I'm content. You're not getting extra credit from overloading on protein. All you're doing is wasting money and potentially reducing the amount of fat and carbs you could have instead.

^ what this guy said..

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, nuts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I aim for 120g/day at 149 lbs. Some days I eat a bit more, some days a bit less. I could eat steak and chicken all day but I get a good amount of protein from yogurt (Greek or Noosa), cottage cheese, and eggs.
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I probably eat half the amount or even less than that which most people recommend for bodybuilding and it hasn't affected me in the slightest as far as making gains in the gym/how I'm feeling
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of protein either. Good news is that MrM is right-- you don't really need 1 gram per pound.

I weigh 123 and I aim for between 85g and 105g per day. I get a lot from dairy and protein bars, and I've increased my (normally) one daily meat portion from 4 oz to 6-8oz.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I aim for 180-200g a day, but that's with 5 days of weightlifting a week. As you said you "aren't a bodybuilder" so you can probably eat somewhere between 120g and 160g a day judging by your profile picture :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It is not necessary to eat 1g per lb. Many people like to do that as a safety net but it's not necessary. If you are activity participating in training you want to make sure that you do get at least an adequate amount of protein to maintain the lbm you do have. Stop thinking about it in terms of being a bodybuilder or not. You want to make sure you get enough protein to have a positive or an equalibrium nitrogen balance.

Getting from .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight will suffice. That really should not be difficult at all to get in. I personally currently weigh 162 lbs and if I get anywhere from 120-130g of protein I'm content. You're not getting extra credit from overloading on protein. All you're doing is wasting money and potentially reducing the amount of fat and carbs you could have instead.

Similar weight to this guy and eat a similar protein intake. But I also just really like protein so I easily go over into the 135-140s range.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    I aim for 180-200g a day, but that's with 5 days of weightlifting a week. As you said you "aren't a bodybuilder" so you can probably eat somewhere between 120g and 160g a day judging by your profile picture :)

I'm lifting weights and I still eat ~125-135g protein. Will be a similar range, actually a bit lower, when I maintain and start my first bulk.
  • jfmorache
    jfmorache Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone ill go with ~110g